Potential public disruption chart due to ice/winter wx event

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Potential public disruption chart due to ice/winter wx event

#1 Postby Portastorm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:36 pm

RedRiverRefuge wrote:Just to get an idea of potential disruption to electrical service for any given ice storm. Its not just the accumulated ice but the wind as well is placed in the equation . Hadn't seen posted so though i would share the SPIA index This was developed by Sid Sperry, Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives, and Steven Piltz, meteorologist-in-charge at the National Weather Service in Tulsa, Okla.,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Annie Oakley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:51 pm

At what point is the Index determined? And where would one find the index in order to proceed?

Thanks
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Potential public disruption chart due to ice/winter wx event

#3 Postby Portastorm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm sorry but I'm not certain I understand your questions.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Annie Oakley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Portastorm wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not certain I understand your questions.

lol....how does a weather-watcher like me find out the ice index so I would know how to get around? In the streets and stuff.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5 Postby Portastorm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Portastorm wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not certain I understand your questions.

lol....how does a weather-watcher like me find out the ice index so I would know how to get around? In the streets and stuff.

Ah OK ... sorry about that. I would say that it would be important to learn how much precipitation is forecast in your area and then check your local NWS for winds. If you plug that data into the chart, you'll see what a utility company would expect from the combination of the two. Generally speaking, anything less than 0.10 can create some misery and ice up a bridge or overpass and that in itself can be problematic. But the real bad stuff comes when you're talking about 0.25 inches of freezing rain or more. That's when everything starts getting coated, including roads, and things deteriorate quickly.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:40 am

Chart for PAH: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pah/?n=ice_impact_index

This has changed several times in the last day or so.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”