What caused the pocket of warm air in SETX and along the Sab

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

What caused the pocket of warm air in SETX and along the Sab

#1 Postby ravyrn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 am

This is it around midnight. It was much larger earlier, while cold air spilled into CTX and CLA, it didn't spill in to SETX along the Sabine. So what caused this pocket of warm air to develop? We've discussed this before, and considering the trajectory of the cold air pushing against the Ouachita Mountains, did the cold air get dammed up? I've seen shallow cold air dam up against the Great Smoky's... is that the case here? All pro-mets who wish to chime in and amateurs as well please do so. I'd love to discuss this. Can a small mountain range affect the cold push southward if it's at the right angle?
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What caused the pocket of warm air in SETX and along the Sab

#2 Postby HouTXmetro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

ravyrn wrote:Image

This is it around midnight. It was much larger earlier, while cold air spilled into CTX and CLA, it didn't spill in to SETX along the Sabine. So what caused this pocket of warm air to develop? We've discussed this before, and considering the trajectory of the cold air pushing against the Ouachita Mountains, did the cold air get dammed up? I've seen shallow cold air dam up against the Great Smoky's... is that the case here? All pro-mets who wish to chime in and amateurs as well please do so. I'd love to discuss this. Can a small mountain range affect the cold push southward if it's at the right angle?

I noticed this as well. The only thing i can think of is the Mountain range in Arkansas combined with the Houston urban heat island effect. Just my uneducated opinion.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What caused the pocket of warm air in SETX and along the Sab

#3 Postby HouTXmetro » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:51 am

Any Pro-Mets want to chime in?
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

Return to “Winter Weather”