Network Weather Trying to Buy The Weather Channel?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Network Weather Trying to Buy The Weather Channel?

#1 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Just some news on the newly formed network weather channel which is led by meteorologist Dave Schwartz and Rich Johnson(who they had fired).
They are launching a 24 hour cable weather channel beginning in October of this year.
Also, this was just posted on their facebook page below:

"*** URGENT MESSAGE FROM NETWORK WEATHER CHANNEL ***
There have been rumors running around that our company should buy The Weather Channel. Yes, we are heavily considering that option and a press release will be put out to the press explaining this situation. More in the coming days. STAY TUNED!"

https://www.facebook.com/networkweatherchannel

Although I dont' think this would happen, I would love to see it, as the network weather channel only wants weather and no programming shows.... As much as I love the thought, I'm not sure what to make of this....I mean, how can they even afford to buy the weather channel??
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby BigB0882 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:11 pm

And that statement makes it sound like the decision is totally in their hands. You can't buy anything if the other party isn't selling or selling for the price you want. lol
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Network Weather Trying to Buy The Weather Channel?

#3 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:03 pm

Yea I agree. It's probably just a pipe dream...I wish it were true since the weather channel totally sucks....Regardless, I can't wait until network weather goes live 24 hours on cable on October 1st.......Even if I can't find a local cable company that carries it, at the very least, they will be 24 hours streaming online that I can check out.... 9 out of every 10 people I talk to hate the weather channel, so this is a good thing :). Like my friend said, they should rename it, "the weather documentary show channel".
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:27 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:.I mean, how can they even afford to buy the weather channel??

Didn't the sale price last time have the B word in it when NBC bought in? I remember there were way too many 0s in the price, but I can't remember just how many.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:.I mean, how can they even afford to buy the weather channel??

Didn't the sale price last time have the B word in it when NBC bought in? I remember there were way too many 0s in the price, but I can't remember just how many.

hehe yea, sounds about right. What's strange though is that they are saying, and I quote, "we are heavily considering that option and a press release will be put out to the press explaining this situation. More in the coming days. STAY TUNED!"

So maybe there's more to this than we think....I mean, they could have quickly dismissed it if they thought it was impossible, but for them to say what's quoted above, perhaps there's more to it than we think.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I've had it in the back of my mind for a while now that there's something else involved. Other than the one guy doing all the talking, we haven't heard much from NBCU/Comcast. It's as if the business side doesn't really seem to care about the dispute. Why?

I've wondered if they've been trying to kill it off or change the format to something else. Why bring in so many people from the news and entertainment worlds? It's like they've planned on moving even further away from weather as a prime focus.

So, maybe they'd be interested in selling off the TWC brand without selling off the channel space and web based applications?
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:53 pm

The Weather Channel has been rapidly going downhill since NBC brought it in late 2008/2009. I'd say The Weather Channel's peak period was 2003-2005 (aka the "Live By It" era). I would be more than happy to see this Network Weather buy over The Weather Channel in hopes of improving it again, but it seems more of a dream than reality.

Either way this Network Weather Channel sounds like a very good thing for those like me who basically dislike The Weather Channel currently.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “Winter Weather”