Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#61 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:23 am

Janie2006 wrote:You know, people in Buffalo would kill me if I told them I wanted a 1977-78 winter! :lol:

The long-range prognostication is for the "drought o' death" (cousin of the infamous TX Death Ridge) to continue for California, so that's another piece of the puzzle for TX and points east....otherwise you'd often get Pacific track storms (which bring relatively warm Pacific air in and maintain a zonal flow across the South) through California. If I'm not mistaken, most of the rain SoCal gets falls during the winter. Well, if you've got consistent ridging that blocks the storm pattern and forces things *around* it, that's entirely consistent with those warm waters and higher heights we keep seeing.

Meanwhile, I can dream. I've got a 594 DM high building above me. Wxman must have phoned it in. :P

You are correct about the CA wet season. I was so surprised as a kid when I visited my GP at Christmas and everything was green. And the ridge was sent East because we are tired of it! And what does it do? It continues to build. We are expecting possible 3 digit highs by the weekend. :roll: I haven't been following this thread closely, but just read back some and I am going hhhmmmm-what will I see? I think it will be quite interesting. Here in SE TX we have yet to see an official 100 degree high. Normally we would have seen somewhere around 10 days at or above 100f.
Signs of things to come?
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#62 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:01 am

The North Texas branch of PWC is crunching numbers, drawing maps, and consulting the temporarily-sober mets in scenic SW Austin. We hope to provide top of the notch data for when HQ releases the annual winter forecast!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#63 Postby Janie2006 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 pm

vbhoutex wrote:You are correct about the CA wet season. I was so surprised as a kid when I visited my GP at Christmas and everything was green. And the ridge was sent East because we are tired of it! And what does it do? It continues to build. We are expecting possible 3 digit highs by the weekend. :roll: I haven't been following this thread closely, but just read back some and I am going hhhmmmm-what will I see? I think it will be quite interesting. Here in SE TX we have yet to see an official 100 degree high. Normally we would have seen somewhere around 10 days at or above 100f.
Signs of things to come?

Yup! The high just expanded. We're getting a northerly flow at the surface...today we reached 95 with a dew point of 74, so it was rather uncomfortable. Being very close to the coast it's difficult to get the air temperature to 100 because of the seabreeze, but when it does happen it's because of a big sumo wrestler of a high. Kinda like this one. My instinct tells me this weekend is probably as hot as it'll get this summer, but I've been wrong before.
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#64 Postby ndale » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Not to be taken too seriously just saw an interview from a person with the Old Farmers Almanac. They are predicting a warmer than normal winter in the western third of the US with drought continuing in Ca. , a VERY cold winter, colder than last yr, for the eastern two thirds of the US with heavier snowfall for the northeast than last yr and Florida to be cool and wet. Looking forward to late next summer they predict a major hurricance for Tx or La. She did explain their forecast are based on studies of solar activity, jetstream patterns and weather history over the past several years. Like I said not to be taken as a serious forecast but just interesting to hear.
Last edited by ndale on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

texas1836
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#65 Postby texas1836 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:20 am

This was published yesterday, interesting to what Janie2006 had mentioned:

I. Persistent Warm Pool in Northeast Pacific
We've discussed this a lot this summer, and the enormity of its influence is still a concern for this winter. The large pool of warmer than normal waters is still present in the Northeast Pacific and into the Gulf of Alaska. Last winter, this body of warm waters allowed a very strong ridge of high pressure to form along the West Coast of North America, which then enabled the infamous polar vortex to slide south into Canada, making the winter of 2013-2014 as cold as it ended up being. This winter, it looks like that same warm pool will be back again, which could set up yet another dicey situation for the risk of a cold winter.

II. Warm Waters Offshore Greenland, Canada
Something we didn't see last year, but is now present, is a swath of above normal water temperatures from the area west of Greenland to the waters in northeast Canada. Typically, the presence of these warm waters in this part of the world can enable strong high pressure to form over Greenland, forcing the jet stream in the United States to buckle south and bring cold air flooding into the Central and East US. While this wasn't present last year, it is certainly available this year, and is something we'll need to watch often for an increased risk of a cold winter.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#66 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh fellows (not that this will be a surprise to you folks but...) ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS WANTING MY COLD (though greatly moderated) TO VISIT YOU FOLKS DOWN THERE????

Am betting it will drop down further than the model shows too!

And you folks just handle snow and cold and ice ever so well....... :roll:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#67 Postby Ntxw » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:19 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Oh fellows (not that this will be a surprise to you folks but...) ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS WANTING MY COLD (though greatly moderated) TO VISIT YOU FOLKS DOWN THERE????

http://i.imgur.com/I9NVq9k.png

Am betting it will drop down further than the model shows too!

I will be sending cold juju this fall to set you up for us. You guys can be our sacrificial lamb, we needs lots of cold in Canada and unleash it southward. We take no prisoners!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

#68 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh and your football SUCKS!!!!
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#69 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Oh and your football SUCKS!!!!

CFL?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#70 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Oh and your football SUCKS!!!!

CFL?
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#71 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:55 pm

LOL one of these days you are going to have to learn how to quote, post and remember which league your loser teams belong to.

Hope you fellows have your skates, snowmobiles and arks ready............ :grrr:
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#72 Postby Janie2006 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:47 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:Oh fellows (not that this will be a surprise to you folks but...) ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS WANTING MY COLD (though greatly moderated) TO VISIT YOU FOLKS DOWN THERE????

In a word: Yes. :froze:

I claim inebriation the last time. :oops:
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#73 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Bring it on, Drop as much snow as you like, it just means less school and more wintery fun for me :lol:
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re: Re:

#74 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Janie2006 wrote:

In a word: Yes. :froze:

I claim inebriation the last time. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheProfessor wrote:Bring it on, Drop as much snow as you like, it just means less school and more wintery fun for me :lol:

Plan on attending school for a number of years do you??????? :grrr:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:00 pm

0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#76 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Screamer needs to be careful about those football comments ... Aggie fans and Baylor Bear fans would vehemently disagree with her assessment, and rightfully so. Maybe so would Texan fans. But we all know to whom she was referring. :wink:

But more importantly she keeps threatening to send real winter down our way. Walk the walk, SS, don't just talk the talk! :cold:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#77 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

[quote="Portastorm"]Screamer needs to be careful about those football comments ... Aggie fans and Baylor Bear fans would vehemently disagree with her assessment, and rightfully so. Maybe so would Texan fans. But we all know to whom she was referring. :wink:

Was she talking about the University of Texas ( that is a rebuilding project for Charlie Strong. I am thinking three years, but will the UT folks give him that?) or the Dallas Cowboys? Well, one game does not make a season. Lastly, I do wonder about this Winter. Will it be a strong one?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#78 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Them fightin words S.S.!

Admittedly, it was my fault when I threatened your kind over in the Canadian thread about the blast of cold and taking away your beautiful summer. I see your next of kin got blindsided by old man winter, no wonder you blame us :ggreen: :cold:
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#79 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Tireman4 wrote:A little snippet of Winter...

http://empirenews.net/meteorologists-pr ... tyPhoto/0/

I don't know who made this but it looks a lot like Climo! It's calling for negative snowfall in Houston :lol: (since averages very little already)

I prefer lots of snow for everybody :D wishcast
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#80 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:22 pm

:uarrow: Thats a Satirical website, like the onion, look at the comments below, or the fake meteorologist and their fake titles. Don't base anything on the map on that website. But maybe you guys knew that and were playing along :wink: .
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Return to “Winter Weather”