Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8341 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Cold shot for late March looming, rumblings as the flood gates may open one last time
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8342 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:32 pm

:uarrow: Just cold or any chance of a late season storm with it?
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#8343 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:32 pm

:uarrow: You know, a repeat of the March 21, 2010 storm that left five-inches on my back deck in Denison. :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#8344 Postby ndale » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm

Our rain gauge shows 4.7 inches of rain.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#8345 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:57 pm

FYI, some of us are also talking about this latest rain event over here:

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=117086&hilit=&start=20
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#8346 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Texas Snowman wrote::uarrow: Just cold or any chance of a late season storm with it?

There will probably be some kind of a storm somewhere in the southern plains. One of the strongest phase 7 MJO waves making a move and cold air continues to linger over North America. 1989, 1997, 2007 and other late March early April periods had a similar progression of the MJO and produced April freezes and in some cases, snow.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8347 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Howdy from St. Louis. The trip up to Memphis was very rainy especially from Texarkana to Little Rock on Sunday. Looks like east Texas has been getting hit hard again because my parents who live on Caddo Lake have water almost up to their house. Dry up here for now though rain is forecasted tomorrow just in time for my Arch visit and River tour. The snow pack from Arkansas to I-55 in Missouri was impressive considering the much above freezing temps. The area must have been hammered after our snow last week. Pretty cool to see all the farm lands and other spots still covered in snow. And the fog, holy moly! I am glad to see much of Texas getting wet. Portentous?
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8348 Postby Portastorm » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:21 am

Noticed the 0z GFS had unseasonable cold for late in March for the top half of Texas ... then the 6z GFS said "just kidding." Given the chatter online about the pattern changing back to a colder look for later in the month ... the 0z run *may* have some merit. We shall see.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8349 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 am

Portastorm wrote:Noticed the 0z GFS had unseasonable cold for late in March for the top half of Texas ... then the 6z GFS said "just kidding." Given the chatter online about the pattern changing back to a colder look for later in the month ... the 0z run *may* have some merit. We shall see.

The noticeable absence of Wxman57 declaring winter over is all you need to know. :D
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Re:

#8350 Postby wxman57 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:15 am

cctxhurricanewatcher wrote:The noticeable absence of Wxman57 declaring winter over is all you need to know. :D

I'm in the Spring Weather thread. Winter is over... That's not to say Texas won't see any further cold fronts (not until mid to late May). But the chances of any more snow for areas outside of the panhandle are gone. No more freezes for SE TX, too.
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8351 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 am

wxman57 wrote:
cctxhurricanewatcher wrote:The noticeable absence of Wxman57 declaring winter over is all you need to know. :D

I'm in the Spring Weather thread. Winter is over... That's not to say Texas won't see any further cold fronts (not until mid to late May). But the chances of any more snow for areas outside of the panhandle are gone. No more freezes for SE TX, too.

4/7/2007 is my latest snow so I will hold out hope at least until around then especially with some indications of the pattern flipping back to cold after mid month.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#8352 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:29 am

wxman57 wrote:

I'm ready for winter to be over. Bring on the heat! With one son playing baseball and another running track, NOTHING is more miserable than having to watch them play in cold, damp weather. Especially with the wind blowing from the north over 20 mph. Football I can sit and watch in whatever conditions. Baseball and track are warm weather sports, so bring it on! :sun:
0 likes   

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#8353 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 am

Why would anyone want snow or cold at Spring Break time or after? Enough is enough. I had my snow I had my fun..moving right along now. Hoping those that are calling for an end of March freeze are on the pipe or something....
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8354 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 am

I love snow, but my favorite time of year is severe weather season.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#8355 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 am

TheProfessor wrote:I love snow, but my favorite time of year is severe weather season.

SPC has issued something like 4 total tornado watches this year and most are in the southeast. That is unbelievably low, not going to be a good severe weather season this year again like the past 2, mid March approaching and no outbreaks in the foreseeable future.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#8356 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 am

Lagreeneyes03 wrote:Why would anyone want snow or cold at Spring Break time or after? Enough is enough. I had my snow I had my fun..moving right along now. Hoping those that are calling for an end of March freeze are on the pipe or something....

The weather does what it does not who wants it to do what. Just pointing out what the pattern may do. There are folks who have planting interests and it effects them if there is a freeze, better to be prepared then spend money and have it die
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#8357 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:21 am

So we ditching this thread?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8358 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 am

Last chance for snow in most of Texas? History says that's a good possibility. So the odds are certainly in favor of that being true.

But history over the last 20 years also says don't bet the farm just yet. Snow - even significant snow - can still occur for a few more weeks. And that's true even outside the Panhandle.

:darrow: Per Fort Worth NWS Web site:

March 20-21, 2010: An unusually strong and cold upper level low slowly moved along the Red River Valley on March 20 and 21. Heavy snowfall occurred on the backside of the low with measurable snowfall occurring mainly to the north of I-20. A very localized and heavy band of snow developed during the early morning hours of the 21st, dumping 5 to 9 inches of snow across Collin County. Some locations just 20 miles to the southwest of this band of snow only picked up 1 inch. Snow continued into the early afternoon hours on the 21st across East Texas before ending.

April 7-8, 2007: Snow fell in areas south of I-20 during the daytime hours of the Saturday before Easter. The highest amounts of 3 to 5 inches were found in a band from Comanche and Goldthwaite to Waco and Temple/Killeen. Bluebonnets were already in bloom when this snow fell, making for unique pictures of this event.

March 27, 2005: An upper level low produced a very localized narrow band of 1-2 inches of snow from Graham to Weatherford to Benbrook to Cleburne in the predawn hours of Easter morning. Most areas outside the snow band saw only moderate to heavy rain.

April 5, 1996: Severe drought plagued North Texas throughout the winter months, but this Good Friday brought abundant rainfall and one of the heaviest April snowstorms on record. Some sleet mixed with the rain before a complete transition to snow occurred west of a line from Montague to Weatherford to Eastland (though some light snow fell as far east as Fort Worth). The heaviest snowfall occurred near the I-20 corridor where Sweetwater accumulated 18 inches. The 9.3 inches at Abilene remains an all-time 24-hour record. Six inches fell in Breckenridge.
Last edited by Texas Snowman on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8359 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 am

I'm sure that barring a final rush of winter this month, traffic will be slim in this thread and that most will get their daily dose of dispensed weather wisdom on the Texas Spring thread.

But as Ntxw and Portastorm alluded to a couple of weeks ago, this thread will likely remain open through the end of March.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#8360 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:40 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Last chance for snow in most of Texas? History says that's a good possibility. So the odds are certainly in favor of that being true.

But history over the last 20 years also says don't bet the farm just yet. Snow - even significant snow - can still occur for a few more weeks...even outside the Panhandle.

March 20-21, 2010: An unusually strong and cold upper level low slowly moved along the Red River Valley on March 20 and 21. Heavy snowfall occurred on the backside of the low with measurable snowfall occurring mainly to the north of I-20. A very localized and heavy band of snow developed during the early morning hours of the 21st, dumping 5 to 9 inches of snow across Collin County. Some locations just 20 miles to the southwest of this band of snow only picked up 1 inch. Snow continued into the early afternoon hours on the 21st across East Texas before ending.

April 7-8, 2007: Snow fell in areas south of I-20 during the daytime hours of the Saturday before Easter. The highest amounts of 3 to 5 inches were found in a band from Comanche and Goldthwaite to Waco and Temple/Killeen. Bluebonnets were already in bloom when this snow fell, making for unique pictures of this event.

March 27, 2005: An upper level low produced a very localized narrow band of 1-2 inches of snow from Graham to Weatherford to Benbrook to Cleburne in the predawn hours of Easter morning. Most areas outside the snow band saw only moderate to heavy rain.

April 5, 1996: Severe drought plagued North Texas throughout the winter months, but this Good Friday brought abundant rainfall and one of the heaviest April snowstorms on record. Some sleet mixed with the rain before a complete transition to snow occurred west of a line from Montague to Weatherford to Eastland (though some light snow fell as far east as Fort Worth). The heaviest snowfall occurred near the I-20 corridor where Sweetwater accumulated 18 inches. The 9.3 inches at Abilene remains an all-time 24-hour record. Six inches fell in Breckenridge.

:uarrow: As the three events over the last decade show, even Central Texas can still get into the late season winter weather conversation.

Even in late March and April, Lucy doesn't always win.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”