Polltime

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K

Do you have more faith in the EURO (ECMWF) for winter than the GFS?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Polltime

#1 Postby asd123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 pm

As suggested by dhweather, and I am curious as well. Also when you vote, please write a description as to why you chose a specific vote. I think we could all benefit our weather knowledge by having each other give our opinions on the models. With that we shall enrich our weather knowledge.

Personally for me, I don't really know which model performs better, I haven't been tracking that, but I really have been hearing a lot of discussion versus the two models. Being curious, into weather and knowing more about the weather than the average person, I want people (with or without voting to discuss why one model is not that good at winter). Is it the inability of the model to pick up on certain features or overdoing and miscalculating others?
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Voted "King" Euro!(ECMWF) With the GFS being downright horrendous this season in the Atlantic you have to question it's ability at the moment to correct-fully predict anything else. When in doubt go Euro! :wink:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby dhweather » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Looks like the Euro is in fact KING! Thanks for making the poll!!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4 Postby Ntxw » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 pm

I voted Euro. It seems we use the term "for entertainment only" more often with the GFS. Both are good, decent models however the Euro has proven year after year the skill scores is unmatched by the other globals.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Polltime

#5 Postby asd123 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Maybe the GFS will improve once it gets the upgrade. I heard that the upgrade will be a major one.
When is the upgrade? It was said September but it is now October.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SeGaBob

#6 Postby SeGaBob » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:15 pm

I voted no because the NAM correctly predicted our 2 ice storms last year. GFS had little bit of snow (a trace) and the EURO had about 2 inches if i remember correctly. We ended up with no snow. (It's a big deal around here) I don't have much faith in either of them. :wink:
0 likes   

asd123
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Polltime

#7 Postby asd123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Interesting article on GFS's surprising accuracy as of late: https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/544266247148302336

Model biases interesting article: http://www.energyblogs.com/weather/inde ... her-Models
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”