Are you prepared for Winter Storms?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

Are you prepared for Winter Storms?

#1 Postby Jagno » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:24 pm

The storm that came ashore on the west coast have people scrounging for food, water and shelter. This DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN. Maybe living in hurricane country afforded me the opportunity to grow up with a completely different mind-set but I am finding it very difficult to watch these people being interviewed without thinking "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it."

West coasters had almost a weeks advance warning about this impending storm. As a matter of fact, the media somewhat over-hyped this event for most areas. Nevertheless, so many did nothing to prepare for the storm and are now dependent upon government handouts and whining about it.

Regardless of where you live you are going to experience disruption of normal services at one point or another whether a tornado, hurricane, blizzard, flood, grid failure, fire......................... No one is immune! It's time to grow up and accept responsibility for your own well being.

Do you have safe drinking water?
How will you use the bathroom and maintain sanitary disposal with no water service available?
Do you have even 2 weeks of breakfast, lunch and dinner for each family member, including pets?
***Don't forget all ingredients, including water needed to prepare, cook, heat these meals.****
Do you have at least some of your emergency preparations in an alternate location in the event your home is inaccessible or destroyed?
The #1 thing that caught my attention where those seemingly professional people interviewed who claimed that they could not get their cars out of the garage due to the power failure. Do you know what that RED handle and rope is for hanging on the garage door track? This is a release handle to allow you to manually open your garage door people.

For the life of me I cannot understand why these people had not made the most basic preparations for this storm such as storing water, filling bathtubs or kiddie pools let alone buy a loaf of bread and a can of tuna.

How do you prepare your home and family for an emergency?
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby gatorcane » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Well I think it's the "it won't happen to me" attitude. We also see it with a lot of people living in hurricane-prone areas especially those areas not hit in a while. It's easy to forget...

By the way great checklist. :uarrow:
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gboudx » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:00 pm

And those folks live in an active earthquake area so you'd think there would be some stash of supplies. I'll say I'm guilty of not always being prepared with supplies, but if a winter storm is forecasted or a high severe outbreak, we'll get some food supplies just in case.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”