Texas Winter 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#81 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

I just hope any thunder storms/ severe or not wait till I get home on the 15th, I want to hear some thunder! At this time of year here in Ohio all we seem to get is 40 mph wind gusts with rain, there isn't much instability so it gets quite boring to be honest. (boring might be the wrong word as rain is never boring but its not as exciting as hearing the rumbles of thunder!)
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#82 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:24 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I just hope any thunder storms/ severe or not wait till I get home on the 15th, I want to hear some thunder! At this time of year here in Ohio all we seem to get is 40 mph wind gusts with rain, there isn't much instability so it gets quite boring to be honest. (boring might be the wrong word as rain is never boring but its not as exciting as hearing the rumbles of thunder!)

But you had snow...are you close to making the Dean's List?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#83 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote::uarrow:
What kind of big storm?

Heights fall significantly across the southern Rockies. A potential multi facet deep system.

Does appear another -EPO induced active pattern past mid month with raised heights off the west coast of NA
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#84 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I just hope any thunder storms/ severe or not wait till I get home on the 15th, I want to hear some thunder! At this time of year here in Ohio all we seem to get is 40 mph wind gusts with rain, there isn't much instability so it gets quite boring to be honest. (boring might be the wrong word as rain is never boring but its not as exciting as hearing the rumbles of thunder!)

But you had snow...are you close to making the Dean's List?

I haven't seen any snow yet :x As of right now I probably won't make it this semester, We started with PreCal in in Calculus, which I hadn't done in 2 years (we didn't start with precal when I took Calculus in highschool) so I got of to a rocky start, I still passed but not very well lol. I had alsready passed the Calculus AP Exam and oddly enough I probably would have done better in one of the faster paced Calculus classes that I didn't know they had. The only things I had member from Pre cal were the things that were important to calculus like everything related to trig functions. Any who Finals are coming up so if I do well enough on them then I can still get around 3.5 average.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2015-2016

#85 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Of course it's all still a good ways off with at least 7 days of calm which will be quite nice actually. Hopefully by next Wednesday, there will be solid signs of our next big storm system.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#86 Postby wxman57 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:36 pm

12Z GFS doesn't indicate any interesting weather across Texas through the 18th. Moderately strong cold front mid-month. Could get close to freezing across SE TX with that front. Nothing out of the ordinary, though. Little in the way of precip next 2 weeks.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Bob Rose mention something about unsettled weather late next week in yesterday's blog, based on yesterday's model. Just saw it.

Today's extended-range solutions indicate the pattern will become more unsettled late next week when a large trough of low pressure pushes east out of the southwestern US. This system has the potential to bring rain and storms to Central Texas sometime next Friday or Saturday. Stay tuned for more details.

Bob

http://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-wea ... ather.aspx
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#88 Postby Portastorm » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Ntxw wrote:
What kind of big storm?

Heights fall significantly across the southern Rockies. A potential multi facet deep system.

Does appear another -EPO induced active pattern past mid month with raised heights off the west coast of NA

Indeed. Both the GFS and Euro suggest as much by mid month. Looks like a massive, full latitude trough over much of the western CONUS. Will be interesting to watch how it develops.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby orangeblood » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
What kind of big storm?

Indeed. Both the GFS and Euro suggest as much by mid month. Looks like a massive, full latitude trough over much of the western CONUS. Will be interesting to watch how it develops.

GFS Ensembles showing significant cold air anomalies from Mississippi River westward around mid-month as well....as we've seen in years past, those type anomalies are usually a very telling sign from 10 + days out!!! This appears to be a prime winter weather synoptic setup for those in West Texas into New Mexico.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I read a blog yesterday that mentioned a possible winter storm system for Texas starting the week of the 21st. Till then going to be nice and seasonal. One other thing that was mentioned was big weather pattern change going into the first of the year that will put Texas in a position for several chances of winter precip right through the end of the January.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#91 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm

orangeblood wrote:
GFS Ensembles showing significant cold air anomalies from Mississippi River westward around mid-month as well....as we've seen in years past, those type anomalies are usually a very telling sign from 10 + days out!!! This appears to be a prime winter weather synoptic setup for those in West Texas into New Mexico.

-SOI tank underway. Supports major system after the first half of the month. Models may be too fast but when the SOI tanks in DJF you listen in terms of storm signal.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby BigB0882 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 pm

I knew SELA was going to get screwed this winter. The cold will be just out of reach, watch! Winter cancel!!! :crying: :roflmao:
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Anyone taken a look at the H Hem snow cover map? Pretty impressive coverage from northern China down to Kansas.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#94 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:22 pm

:uarrow: that is ideal snow placement for cold delivery in the southern plains. Evident of the cold air dumps in the mountain west and high plains. Unlike the past several years when snow cover was higher closer to the Great Lakes and northeast.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#95 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:Anyone taken a look at the H Hem snow cover map? Pretty impressive coverage from northern China down to Kansas.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac147/rbaker1987/Weather/2015-12-02_NHem_SnowCoverage_zpsch7uzu4c.gif

I love how that was worded, from China down to Kansas, like it is some easy geographical point from A to B. This is why I love weather and geography as much as I do, and the sharing of this knowledge on Storm2k. Case in point, the curvature of the earth on Ralphs snow map is not fully shown, and me being a weather and map nerd made me get excited. Little things like that really interest me. Even Mongolia is in the mix. Soviet snow is good, we need some of that cold and snow on our side of the Northern Hemisphere. Hope I am not boring ya'll. :cold:
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#96 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Oh, come on gang. Aren't y'all ignoring the post above? You know, the one from Wxman57 above, the one that says there will be nothing out of the ordinary and little precip.

Winter cancel, don't you know? :wink:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#97 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Oh, come on gang. Aren't y'all ignoring the post above? You know, the one from Wxman57 above, the one that says there will be nothing out of the ordinary and little precip.

Winter cancel, don't you know? :wink:

Pfff it could be winter cancel, for eastern Canada and the Great Lakes! Could be one of the warmest ever for them. Wxman57 is living in the wrong place, one of the coolest spots on the continent to normal winter 2015-2016 :cheesy:. Plus he already called for possibilities of snow and ice in December for us ;)

Speaking of warmth, you don't see those kind of deep reds (up near great lakes) from the CPC everyday.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:18 am

gpsnowman wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:Anyone taken a look at the H Hem snow cover map? Pretty impressive coverage from northern China down to Kansas.

I love how that was worded, from China down to Kansas, like it is some easy geographical point from A to B. This is why I love weather and geography as much as I do, and the sharing of this knowledge on Storm2k. Case in point, the curvature of the earth on Ralphs snow map is not fully shown, and me being a weather and map nerd made me get excited. Little things like that really interest me. Even Mongolia is in the mix. Soviet snow is good, we need some of that cold and snow on our side of the Northern Hemisphere. Hope I am not boring ya'll. :cold:

Maybe late this winter this map will show white from the Himalayas to N Mexico. Things are shaping up beautifully for a great winter for Texas if you like snow. Hoping that widespread areas north of I-20 get 12"+ this winter and maybe a few 24" totals. And this is a good set up to see snow further south too.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 am

I realize I'm talking about something 9-10 days out, but the last 00Z GFS is considerably less junky in advance of the big trough, which would allow a more robust warm sector and better storm chances. If the parade of little SE moving systems like the 12Z showed were to verify, moisture would be shunted away for longer, hurting storm chances. The difference between the two runs with respect to available low level moisture is noteworthy.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

TarrantWx
Category 1
Category 1

#100 Postby TarrantWx » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 am

NWS Fort Worth posted this graphic of rainfall records from co-op sites across North Texas. Some truly staggering totals. Nearly 80" in Gainesville. I wonder if someone will hit 90" before the year is up.

0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”