S2K downtime and a minor change

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

S2K downtime and a minor change

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:34 pm

I have been in communication with our provider and know what is causing our recurring downtime. It is partially my fault and as soon as I post this I am going to deal with it.
In an attempt to deal with some recurring complaints concerning new registrants not being able to read the captcha I lowered the resolution on the captcha. That eliminated the complaints, but since I did that we have had 3 downtimes. I queried our provider as to why this was happening too often and the reason was that our server was being overloaded by bots spamming the site(short version). This did not start happening till I changed the captcha. So I am once again upping the resolution on the captcha and staff will deal with any complaints from legitimate registration requests. We will lose many more members and/or registrants by allowing the downtimes to continue vs upping the captcha resolution.
If you find out anyone is complaining about not being able to read the captcha to register please have them contact a staff member and we will deal with it on an individual basis.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Return to “Winter Weather”