UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
User avatar
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 28464
Age: 67
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:31 pm
Location: Spring Branch area, Houston, TX
Contact:

UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:13 am

We will finally be doing our PhpBB site upgrade this Saturday Jan. 9 between 1am and 5am. This is a window we are working with to make sure all goes well. The actual changeover will take a lot less time unless there are any problems. We do not expect any problems since we have been testing for a few weeks and haven't run into anything. You should not have to do anything different to log onto the site.

IF you should run into any problems with the site after the changeover or have any questions about the changeove please post them in this thread so that all staff and the SC5 person directing this can see it and respond as needed.

The site will have a completely new look to it since the template we are on is not supported by the updated PhpBB versions. After we are on the updated version we will also be making some noticeable changes by deleting some old forums and threads, possibly adding some new ones and other various changes. If there is something you would like to see on the updated site please let one of the admins or mods know and we will look into it and determine if it can be done.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:
Image

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2380
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#2 Postby lurkey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 pm

What timezone? 1 am - 5am Central time or Eastern time? I am only asking because you are in Central Time zone and I know we have a lot of folks in Eastern time zone... plus this was a question among the regulars in chat ......
0 likes   

User avatar
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:27 pm

vbhoutex wrote:The site will have a completely new look to it since the template we are on is not supported by the updated PhpBB versions. After we are on the updated version we will also be making some noticeable changes by deleting some old forums and threads, possibly adding some new ones and other various changes. If there is something you would like to see on the updated site please let one of the admins or mods know and we will look into it and determine if it can be done.

The words I've been dreading, from an appearance/usability standpoint its completely perfect and the best on any forum I've seen, a new look has a very high probability of being less intuitive and clean. Yeah compared to something like vBulletin which I loathe its amazing but still I cuss under my breath every time I get word of an overhaul on any forums I frequent. The next part about the changes to sub-forums and threads is more gut-wrenching; if its all stashed away in an accessible archive that's fine by me but hidden or deleting scares since there might be info I might need later on or have a hard worked content-line. Can you specify which ones so I can begin archiving anything I think is important?

The only new feature I'd look into would be an auto-save post which periodically saves what you have written in a reply field to your drafts folder. When you submit it, it's removed from drafts.

vbhoutex wrote:We will finally be doing our PhpBB site upgrade this Saturday Jan. 9 between 1am and 5am.

Besides the capcha issues when people register, why is it being upgraded? I've been very happy the phpbb version has remained the same (2007) since the resources it takes is quite low on web browsers and has no memory leaks. Other updated message boards bloat up the RAM allocation and makes it less enjoyable and hard to manage on older systems. Its also the most responsive board software but I haven't used many of the up to date phpbb versions to see the comparison.

PS: Don't do this.
0 likes   

User avatar
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 28464
Age: 67
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:31 pm
Location: Spring Branch area, Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:20 pm

lurkey wrote:What timezone? 1 am - 5am Central time or Eastern time? I am only asking because you are in Central Time zone and I know we have a lot of folks in Eastern time zone... plus this was a question among the regulars in chat ......

CST since the server is in Dallas. Remember, this will hopefully take less than 15 minutes to complete.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:
Image

User avatar
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 28464
Age: 67
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:31 pm
Location: Spring Branch area, Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:The site will have a completely new look to it since the template we are on is not supported by the updated PhpBB versions. After we are on the updated version we will also be making some noticeable changes by deleting some old forums and threads, possibly adding some new ones and other various changes. If there is something you would like to see on the updated site please let one of the admins or mods know and we will look into it and determine if it can be done.

The words I've been dreading, from an appearance/usability standpoint its completely perfect and the best on any forum I've seen, a new look has a very high probability of being less intuitive and clean. Yeah compared to something like vBulletin which I loathe its amazing but still I cuss under my breath every time I get word of an overhaul on any forums I frequent. The next part about the changes to sub-forums and threads is more gut-wrenching; if its all stashed away in an accessible archive that's fine by me but hidden or deleting scares since there might be info I might need later on or have a hard worked content-line. Can you specify which ones so I can begin archiving anything I think is important?

The only new feature I'd look into would be an auto-save post which periodically saves what you have written in a reply field to your drafts folder. When you submit it, it's removed from drafts.

vbhoutex wrote:We will finally be doing our PhpBB site upgrade this Saturday Jan. 9 between 1am and 5am.

Besides the capcha issues when people register, why is it being upgraded? I've been very happy the phpbb version has remained the same (2007) since the resources it takes is quite low on web browsers and has no memory leaks. Other updated message boards bloat up the RAM allocation and makes it less enjoyable and hard to manage on older systems. Its also the most responsive board software but I haven't used many of the up to date phpbb versions to see the comparison.

PS: Don't do this.

As far as the appearance/usability standpoint I think everyone will be happy with it. We have been testing behind the scenes and no one has had a problem yet.

When I say we will be removing threads/forums I am not talking about anything on the weather side. We have threads and forums that haven't been used literally in years. Those are the ones we will be looking at and/or archiving/deleting. If you have specific threads or forums you want us to address please post them in here and we can check out if there is anything we need to look at further. No decisions have been made at this time. This will happen after we are up and running on the upgrade.
As to why we are doing the upgrade the current PhpBB version we are using is almost 10 years out of date. The newer versions have taken care of some issues the older ones have and makes it much more easy to adjust the captcha and control it. The admins and some staff have been slammed with hundreds of spammer registration attempts per day which we have to wade through and determine if they are legitimate, as we have literally missed legitimate registrations in the mire, so it is one of the main reasons for the upgrade. It has been taking me alone hours per day to deal with this.
It is unfortunate we can't use the same design, but it will not be compatible with the upgrade. Once we are upgraded it will be easier to make changes to enhance the boards looks and usability.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:
Image

User avatar
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4371
Age: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: College Station, TX
Contact:

#6 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:35 pm

Have the updates now been put into effect? Everything still seems mostly the same to me.
0 likes   
Wayward meteorology student on a journey back to the promised land.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:46 am

Re:

#7 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:47 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Have the updates now been put into effect? Everything still seems mostly the same to me.


Maybe they mean the other Saturday between 1 and 5AM -- the one after midnight. :wink:
0 likes   

User avatar
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 6526
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Re:

#8 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:30 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:Maybe they mean the other Saturday between 1 and 5AM -- the one after midnight. :wink:

vbhoutex wrote:We will finally be doing our PhpBB site upgrade this Saturday Jan. 9...
0 likes   

User avatar
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4371
Age: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: College Station, TX
Contact:

#9 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Yep, it is Saturday, January 9th right now (CST) and we've already passed 1-5 am. The next 1-5 am will be Sunday, January 10th.
0 likes   
Wayward meteorology student on a journey back to the promised land.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

cipher
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#10 Postby cipher » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:19 pm

The maintenance is actually scheduled for tonight, between the 1AM - 5AM window. Just some date confusion on my part. Sorry!
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:46 am

#11 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Told ya it was the other Saturday overnight! :cheesy:
0 likes   

cipher
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#12 Postby cipher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:09 am

Just a reminder that I will be performing a maintenance beginning at 1AM CDT. There shouldn't be any forum or website outages experienced (Only when we make the transition live, which won't take too long), but while I do backups and duplicating data.. you guys might see some degraded performance when browsing the forum.
0 likes   

cipher
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#13 Postby cipher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:01 am

The conversion has been performed. There are several minor issues that I am currently working on. If you encounter any issues, please update this thread with the issue, time it was encountered and the error message (if any). Thank you.
0 likes   

User avatar
TheAustinMan
Category 3
Category 3
Posts: 850
Age: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:26 pm
Location: Oak Hill, TX (Southwest Austin)
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#14 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 am

SC5 wrote:The conversion has been performed. There are several minor issues that I am currently working on. If you encounter any issues, please update this thread with the issue, time it was encountered and the error message (if any). Thank you.


It appears that the "Global announcements" threads (like this one) have been placed in the Winter Weather forum. Is that intentional?
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service/RSMC.
- In the summer I'm in Austin, Texas; otherwise I'm in college in upstate New York

User avatar
panamatropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2357
Age: 55
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Panama City Florida
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#15 Postby panamatropicwatch » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 am

There Active topics page is empty. Time is now.
0 likes   

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 18686
Age: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX (southwest)

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#16 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:51 am

In addition to the "Active Topics" link not working, is there any way to include images in posts without first uploading the images to a web server? What about the ability to upload my avatar when I update my profile? I lost my ability to upload images to Comcast a few months back and can't post any images here.
0 likes   

grentz7721
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 321
Age: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:24 pm
Location: Massillon, OH, US
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#17 Postby grentz7721 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:37 pm

New look is okay to me.
0 likes   

User avatar
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:18 am
Location: Wytheville, VA

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#18 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Can you put the link to the chat room back up? I don't see it anywhere.
0 likes   

User avatar
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 10371
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#19 Postby NDG » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 pm

I like that this is finally mobile friendly version 8-)
0 likes   

grentz7721
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 321
Age: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:24 pm
Location: Massillon, OH, US
Contact:

Re: UPDATING SITE THIS WEEKEND-ALL READ

#20 Postby grentz7721 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:45 pm

You can now link your online hangouts like Facebook to your profile by just adding your username you use on Facebook and Twitter.
0 likes   


Return to “Winter Weather”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests