Texas Winter 2016-2017

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2016-2017

#101 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Stormcenter wrote:I believe it when I see it. I recall we were suppose to have a very wet and cold winter last year and poof nothing.

Agreed. Worst. Winter. Ever. :)
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby Brent » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:08 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
Stormcenter wrote:I believe it when I see it. I recall we were suppose to have a very wet and cold winter last year and poof nothing.

Agreed. Worst. Winter. Ever. :)

^^^

I refuse to even call last year a winter...
0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 am

October on pace to record warm month.

As we are in the last week of October 2016 this month is on pace to be in the top 5 warmest Octobers on record. While October is usually the transition month from late summer to Fall this October has been anything but that. October has been very warm across much of the US, with many cities tying or breaking records for warmest October dates from New Mexico all the way up to New Hampshire.

Here in NCTX with 6 days remaining in the month and high temperatures forecast to be 7 to 14 degrees above average through Halloween, this October has definitively been a major let down for Fall lovers. October is currently +5.3 degrees above the monthly mean and we are -1.19" below the average precip for the month, (October is usually our 2nd wettest month of the year) and with weak La Nina conditions currently present (SST's -0.6) and expected to continue into January, the early forecast for a warmer/drier winter across much of Texas except for maybe the northern Panhandle where winter conditions are expected to be closer to normal looks to be good.

So there is no need to wait till Halloween to figure out what the 2016/17 winter will be like, So here my take on this winter....

Last years super El Nino was a once in a 50 year event, and not many long or short range forecast held up (Bust) over the course of last winter. (what Winter) :grr: :cry:
So it's of my own opinion that this winter will be (colder/cooler) than last winter, even with weak La Nina/ENSO conditions expected, and still be considered a (warmer) than normal winter.

First official freeze of the season on average for NTX (DFW Airport) happens around the 22nd of November. My first official freeze forecast is November 29th. (will see freeze earlier in the outline counties around DFW metro)

December - above avg temperatures and below average precip chances.
January - slightly above avg temps and average precip chances. (current weak La Nina to transition back to ENSO neutral by late January)
February - Average temps and slightly above average precip. (February will be the target month for winter precip as the northern jet slides further south.) this will also enhance our precip chance as storm systems will drop further south before ejecting out over the lower plain states.

I'm going to add March in to the mix as I think winter will carry over into the first 10 days of the month and wouldn't count out a possible early March winter storm.

There you have it, (IMO) the 2016/17 NTX Winter Outlook. :ggreen:
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#104 Postby Portastorm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am

:uarrow:

This forecast gets the Grey Goose Seal of Approval from the Portastorm Weather Center in scenic southwest Travis County.

I like the ideas forwarded and generally agree with the logic and the layout, chronologically, of how winter might play out for us. Good work Captin! :wink:
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:55 pm

The models seem to be sniffing out the expected early season Arctic intrusion next month. This will be the beginning of a roller coaster type winter which averaged out I expect will be somewhere around 3 degrees below normal. There are few if any warm indicators for us and the dominant players will be strong blocking over the GoA and Arctic and at times the N Atl, little to no STJ to speak of so many blue northers are in our future.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:The models seem to be sniffing out the expected early season Arctic intrusion next month. This will be the beginning of a roller coaster type winter which averaged out I expect will be somewhere around 3 degrees below normal. There are few if any warm indicators for us and the dominant players will be strong blocking over the GoA and Arctic and at times the N Atl, little to no STJ to speak of so many blue northers are in our future.

I remember numerous blue northers when I was a kid. I feel like we really haven't seen any true northers in many years.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#107 Postby Ntxw » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I am not comfortable making a call for any type of winter. You don't quite have an El Nino and you don't quite have a La Nina. It MAY achieve a weak La Nina, but that is currently in limbo. These type of years are a tough forecast. You can almost bet that in a cold neutralish year that there will be an ice storm in December! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 am

Ntxw wrote:I am not comfortable making a call for any type of winter. You don't quite have an El Nino and you don't quite have a La Nina. It MAY achieve a weak La Nina, but that is currently in limbo. These type of years are a tough forecast. You can almost bet that in a cold neutralish year that there will be an ice storm in December! :D

I'm on board with you in your assessment. I'm not ready to settle on a particular winter forecast just yet. Sure we are experiencing a warmer and drier Autumn but as we have seen over the past couple of years, patterns tend to stagnate in 4-6-8 week intervals, then a major flip to a very different pattern which then stagnates for 4-6-8 weeks.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 am

It looks as if the waters on the equator are cooling even further. The warm pool took a slight hit this past month, but a warmer body of water to the SW of the GOA is getting stronger.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby Brent » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:10 am

This better be a hard pattern flip after this endless warmth...
0 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#111 Postby wxman57 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 am

Here's an outlook for winter across the U.S.

2 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby Stormcenter » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Winter outlooks are like NFL preseason picks....not worth much. IMO
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:31 pm

wxman57 wrote:Here's an outlook for winter across the U.S.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvyYKxqXgAAqXD-.jpg

Ok, did you do this map? Alaska..NOPE..that so sounds like you..LOL
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:10 am

Fall Heat Wave Will Smash Records From Halloween Into the First Days of November

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/record-warmth-west-central-south-late-october

The warmest October on record for NTX is 1963 with a monthly avg temp of 73.6 degrees. Currently thru October 30th 2016 the monthly avg is 74.3 degrees (+6.5 above avg) with another record high (86) expected today. :sun: :cry:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 am

CaptinCrunch wrote:Fall Heat Wave Will Smash Records From Halloween Into the First Days of November

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/record-warmth-west-central-south-late-october

The warmest October on record for NTX is 1963 with a monthly avg temp of 73.6 degrees. Currently thru October 30th 2016 the monthly avg is 74.3 degrees (+6.5 above avg) with another record high (86) expected today. :sun: :cry:

Ok, Captin..how did you find those numbers? Do you know HGX?
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#116 Postby Portastorm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 am

Larry Cosgrove came out today with his winter forecast. He sees a pretty good cold snap for us by mid November into the end of the month. He believes Thanksgiving could be a chilly one for Texas. December will be variable with periods of warmer/colder than usual ... and then things go downhill quickly as January-March will be quite cold. Larry did a great job with last winter's forecast as well as this past Fall ... which he nailed. I'm hoping he's right about this winter!
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#117 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:31 am

Portastorm wrote:Larry Cosgrove came out today with his winter forecast. He sees a pretty good cold snap for us by mid November into the end of the month. He believes Thanksgiving could be a chilly one for Texas. December will be variable with periods of warmer/colder than usual ... and then things go downhill quickly as January-March will be quite cold. Larry did a great job with last winter's forecast as well as this past Fall ... which he nailed. I'm hoping he's right about this winter!

Ok Porta. I will state this. You will get your snow. Champ the Charger will get to run in the ice. The weather gods have spoken. The Grey Goose will be a'flowin. :)
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Portastorm wrote:Larry Cosgrove came out today with his winter forecast. He sees a pretty good cold snap for us by mid November into the end of the month. He believes Thanksgiving could be a chilly one for Texas. December will be variable with periods of warmer/colder than usual ... and then things go downhill quickly as January-March will be quite cold. Larry did a great job with last winter's forecast as well as this past Fall ... which he nailed. I'm hoping he's right about this winter!

I really respect him. I remember him being the one guy who didnt think Houston folks would get much out of a snow system in Feb 2011 and he was right. :/ Love his work.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#119 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 am

0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 pm

All of the talk of 1983 being as good of an analog as any bring to mind this 500mb chart from 12/23/1983.

1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Return to “Winter Weather”