Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6621 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:
utweather wrote:
Yeah I think it was a bust. I'm at work and the roads were just wet, no sleet or snow made all the difference. Perhaps its not over though? I haven't been able to look outside since sunrise. Exciting nonetheless.

Sorry if this sounds harsh ... but this is not a bust. I don't know what you were expecting when you awoke, but right now in Austin we have most overpasses iced over. Sleet falling in places around town and not melting, adding to the ice. APD is working numerous accidents and has asked people to stay off the roads. The radar at 9:30 am shows more inbound sleet and maybe snow from the west for the next few hours.

Try telling our first responders right now this was a bust. The event is not over. SMH.

This is very true. Looking out my window, I can see ice covering everything, quite a lot of icecicles, bushes bent over. Sleet coating roofs, grass, exposed surfaces and the street. This is no time to be going anywhere unless you work for emergency services or hospital. I haven't seen it look this icy in years.

On this part of town, all of the streets in my neighborhood are dry. Very slight coating on furniture, but most has sublimed in the wind. I think it depends on where you are. I got a report from a friend that roads going east/west were dry and fine. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers. :oops:
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6622 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:Wide range in temps tomorrow morning on the models. I am betting that somemake single digits in N and NE TX. Models show temps in these areas anywhere from 0 to 20. Around here afternoon highs will be in the low to mid 20s, snow on the ground, dew points in the single digits to below 0 tonight and a 1044 ish high nearly overhead. These seem to be ingredients for a single digit morning if there ever was. Question is can someone go below 0. DFW may stay above 15 with heat island and no snow though.

We hit 7 early this morning. I expect another single digit low in the morning.
Last edited by Yukon Cornelius on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#6623 Postby Shoshana » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:
Sorry if this sounds harsh ... but this is not a bust. I don't know what you were expecting when you awoke, but right now in Austin we have most overpasses iced over. Sleet falling in places around town and not melting, adding to the ice. APD is working numerous accidents and has asked people to stay off the roads. The radar at 9:30 am shows more inbound sleet and maybe snow from the west for the next few hours.

Try telling our first responders right now this was a bust. The event is not over. SMH.

This is very true. Looking out my window, I can see ice covering everything, quite a lot of icecicles, bushes bent over. Sleet coating roofs, grass, exposed surfaces and the street. This is no time to be going anywhere unless you work for emergency services or hospital. I haven't seen it look this icy in years.

On this part of town, all of the streets in my neighborhood are dry. Very slight coating on furniture, but most has sublimed in the wind. I think it depends on where you are. I got a report from a friend that roads going east/west were dry and fine. Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers. :oops:

Neighbor went to work in Jonestown from NE Austin and said those roads were dry. It is really hit or miss up here.
0 likes   

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#6624 Postby Tejas89 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Hard to fathom 3 winters in a row for DFW of no major events. We used to count on 1-2 a year minimum. Holding out hope we don’t get a feb. torch.

South Texas/LA taking all our sleet/snow!!
2 likes   

utweather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6625 Postby utweather » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Shoshana wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:

Neighbor went to work in Jonestown from NE Austin and said those roads were dry. It is really hit or miss up here.

I went outside during lunch in south central Austin. I saw a little bit of small sleet on the ground by the doors and a few by the wipers on cars but nothing major. My windshield never did get ice. Business road looked by and large dry. Definitely a hit or miss.
1 likes   

JayDT
Category 1
Category 1

#6626 Postby JayDT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Hard Freeze Warning for pretty much all the Fort Worth NWS counties.... Dallas and Tarrant counties included. It’s gonna be a really cold night :cold:
1 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6627 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm

JayDT wrote:Hard Freeze Warning for pretty much all the Fort Worth NWS counties.... Dallas and Tarrant counties included. It’s gonna be a really cold night :cold:

I am pulling for a 9. It's possible considering the graphic on the NWS site. Snowpack in the plains, big HP, calm winds, cloudless. Just get the single digits out of the way for the first time in 22 years!!!!!
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6628 Postby tolakram » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
JayDT wrote:Hard Freeze Warning for pretty much all the Fort Worth NWS counties.... Dallas and Tarrant counties included. It’s gonna be a really cold night :cold:

I am pulling for a 9. It's possible considering the graphic on the NWS site. Snowpack in the plains, big HP, calm winds, cloudless. Just get the single digits out of the way for the first time in 22 years!!!!!

What are some of the record lows for the area?
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6629 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 pm

tolakram wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:

What are some of the record lows for the area?

Going off memory here. A negative 8 during the cold wave of 1899 is the record for Dallas I believe. Last negative reading was in December of 1989 with a -1, I remember that one. Last single digit was 8 in February of 1996.
Last edited by gpsnowman on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

JayDT
Category 1
Category 1

#6630 Postby JayDT » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

I checked a little while ago and the forecast for me is 5 degrees.. Idk about 5 degrees but im pretty sure single digits are possible lol.

Ok i just checked again and they bumped it up to 10 degrees
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6631 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Dallas folk dont worry. Lotta football left for your winter. Im sure you guys will make up for it.

Till then, what a great day, and its not done yet. Days like this you never forget being a weather geek. Nice daytime weather event with really cold temps for us. Very exciting. House yard and all looks beautiful
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#6632 Postby davidiowx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Dallas folk dont worry. Lotta football left for your winter. Im sure you guys will make up for it.

Till then, what a great day, and its not done yet. Days like this you never forget being a weather geek. Nice daytime weather event with really cold temps for us. Very exciting. House yard and all looks beautiful

Looks like a nice band about to come through Ft Bend county. Hope this is all snow and not the sleet with a few flurries thrown in that we have had here in Richmond all day.

I’ll take what we can get though! Roofs and cars are white, icicles everywhere and white on the grass and around the trees!
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6633 Postby dhweather » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:32 pm

FWD forecasting 6 degrees tonight for Heath. I don't see it getting below 10, but realistically, it is freaking cold either way.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6634 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Snowing at my home in SW Houston. Mostly small flakes, but an occasional big flake floats down. Still 26 degrees.
5 likes   

Hurricane_Apu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6635 Postby Hurricane_Apu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Sleet and graupel mix in Lafayette, rooftops and surfaces starting to turn white. Pavement starting to freeze now that the sun's going down.
This place is going to be an ice rink by tomorrow morning.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6636 Postby Brent » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm

dhweather wrote:FWD forecasting 6 degrees tonight for Heath. I don't see it getting below 10, but realistically, it is freaking cold either way.

Yup

This cold would be so much better with a snow cover but Dallas just cant win this winter
1 likes   
#neversummer

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6637 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Montgomery County schools closed tomorrow.

Potential driving hazards in the morning and sub 0 wind chills.

Lows in low teens
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6638 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Here's a movie of the snow and me in the sleet. Some of the flakes are large (nickle-sized). Nothing too heavy. Video is 144mb and may take a bit to load before it plays.

http://wxman57.com/images/Snow.MOV

7 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6639 Postby BigB0882 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Can anyone tell me what is the most telling for higher ratio rates? Is it the surface temps, 850 temps or a combination from top to bottom?

I see the GFS giving us .07 QPF with temps in the mid 20s. Is that enough to raise rates from 10:1 if the 850 temps are -1 C?

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sampl ... ?text=KBTR
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6640 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Ideal cooling tonight. 13 (2010 and 2011) is the coldest since the singles in 1996. The only way single digits may happen in the core is if winds calm completely and no clouds. HP will be overhead for max radiational cooling
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”