Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#2221 Postby Ntxw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:55 pm

TheProfessor wrote:likely referring to the Early 2015 snowfalls that only had a few counties in a warning that went up pretty late. It's been even longer for most of the Metroplex I believe.

March 2015 I think was our last WSW. Last time we had measurable snow of more than 1"
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2222 Postby MississippiWx » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:56 pm

The Euro is gonna come out in an hour and show a Texas blizzard. Keep the faith, guys. :D
3 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2223 Postby EnnisTx » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Ok, I'm going to do it so everything will change and our snow storm comes back!!

WINTER CANCEL!!!!
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2224 Postby Ntxw » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm

EnnisTx wrote:Ok, I'm going to do it so everything will change and our snow storm comes back!!

WINTER CANCEL!!!!

Winter cancel only works if there hasn't been winter yet :lol:. We've already had bouts of it. It's a jab at the events of hurricane season.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2225 Postby MississippiWx » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 am

That GFS run would be Porta’s Grey Goose vodka type of cold for just about everyone. The polar vortex wants to setup shop in the Northern Plains. :cold:
2 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2226 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:It still looks like it's gonna get quite chilly here during the last week of December. If we can get a disturbance or some lingering moisture, we might have a shot at some snow.
We still have another week before this event happens. This will change. Don't give up hope.

It probably will. But ironically enough, the models are drier because they are seeing a colder incoming air mass aloft. It is shredding the cutoff low solution that sits and rides warm air from the SW (moisture above it in the marginal temps) and shoves everything south and east.

If that is the case, then why are we so much warmer at the surface? It would seem to me that the cold air would undercut initially, potentially causing the overrunning scenario, and then either dry out or change to snow as the airmass continues to sink southward and the column cools aloft
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#2227 Postby iorange55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

We are getting something out of this...it’ll happen! If you have the cold, you have a chance. I’m still not sold on the trend today with the Christmas storm. I don’t think we’ll get a foot of snow or the end of days ice storm. But I’d watch for more moisture being around Christmas or the day after. Maybe a light snow event.

I’d certainly take that.
3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2228 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am

MississippiWx wrote:That GFS run would be Porta’s Grey Goose vodka type of cold for just about everyone. The polar vortex wants to setup shop in the Northern Plains. :cold:

It is. GFS had a 1070mb high over Wyoming (I think it may be elevation related but still high) and a second Arctic origin high of 1060mb. Above 1060s is among top 5 highest readings. 1064mb is the lower 48 record from 1983. 1063 was recorded in January 1962 second place.

850s in the -30s+ does not visit the US very often
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2229 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:12 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:We still have another week before this event happens. This will change. Don't give up hope.

It probably will. But ironically enough, the models are drier because they are seeing a colder incoming air mass aloft. It is shredding the cutoff low solution that sits and rides warm air from the SW (moisture above it in the marginal temps) and shoves everything south and east.

If that is the case, then why are we so much warmer at the surface? It would seem to me that the cold air would undercut initially, potentially causing the overrunning scenario, and then either dry out or change to snow as the airmass continues to sink southward and the column cools aloft

The models have never really locked on the surface cold (which I don't think they will until much closer.) When the models had ice/snow you had cold enough air below marginally and warm air aloft (near and greater than 0C 850s) which is a warm layer from the moisture being pumped up from the southwest. When 850s dive below -10C that's frigid above and close to what happened last week.

The surface cold is a model issue, you'll go crazy looking at that to determine things. Remember when the GFS and Euro said we barely had a freeze? When you are looking at storms for ice/snow a good place to start is at 850 temps.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2230 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 am

honestly I wouldn't mind more days like today over an ice storm or brutally cold with no snow on the ground.
3 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2231 Postby EnnisTx » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 am

Ntxw wrote:
EnnisTx wrote:Ok, I'm going to do it so everything will change and our snow storm comes back!!

WINTER CANCEL!!!!

Winter cancel only works if there hasn't been winter yet :lol:. We've already had bouts of it. It's a jab at the events of hurricane season.

Well... even though I realize that, I thought why not give it a try anyways. :moon2:

Everyone can thank me when the snow starts :sled: :yow: :D
2 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2232 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 am

Ntxw wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

The models have never really locked on the surface cold (which I don't think they will until much closer.) When the models had ice/snow you had cold enough air below marginally and warm air aloft (near and greater than 0C 850s) which is a warm layer from the moisture being pumped up from the southwest. When 850s dive below -10C that's frigid above and close to what happened last week.

The surface cold is a model issue, you'll go crazy looking at that to determine things. Remember when the GFS and Euro said we barely had a freeze? When you are looking at storms for ice/snow a good place to start is at 850 temps.

Thanks for the answer, that gives a lot of food for thought.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2233 Postby Brent » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 am

iorange55 wrote:We are getting something out of this...it’ll happen! If you have the cold, you have a chance. I’m still not sold on the trend today with the Christmas storm. I don’t think we’ll get a foot of snow or the end of days ice storm. But I’d watch for more moisture being around Christmas or the day after. Maybe a light snow event.

I’d certainly take that.

having not seen more than a light dusting since March 2015 I would agree, even an inch or two would be amazing. I just refuse to believe with this upcoming pattern we can't get out of it with SOMETHING...

I never really bought the Euro's 13 inches either... it was fun to dream, but I never really thought it was that realistic
Last edited by Brent on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2234 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am

I feel like we've been watching this potential storm and pattern change forever, but it's only been a few days. And we are still about a week out from it potentially happening!
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#2235 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am

Ntxw wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
It's there but weaker. When you have 1057+ MB highs it's really hard not to press the cold. Lost in the disappoint posts of snow/ice, is that monstrous HP domes are showing up.

Is that actually detrimental to our chances of getting snow/ice? You’d figure it would be better since it will be colder?

Cold alone is not enough. You need moisture, having a big low sitting to your west pumping up Pacific moisture at 30-33 is a lot easier than 850s going -10C and the zone between cold and warm is along the coast...of Louisiana.

But wouldn’t that help us get more of a snow event vs an ice event? If the precipitation is even there
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#2236 Postby iorange55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:32 am

having not seen more than a light dusting since March 2015 I would agree, even an inch or two would be amazing. I just refuse to believe with this upcoming pattern we can't get out of it with SOMETHING...
I never really bought the Euro's 13 inches either... it was fun to dream, but I never really thought it was that realistic

I’ll be out of town the 27th — Jan. 5th, so something will definitely happen then :wink:
Last edited by iorange55 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2237 Postby Brent » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 am

iorange55 wrote:[quote="Brent”]

I never really bought the Euro's 13 inches either... it was fun to dream, but I never really thought it was that realistic[/quote]

I’ll be out of town the 27th — Jan. 5th, so something will definitely happen then :wink:[/quote]

I'm going to Chicago in 3 1/2 weeks

I'm waiting for it to snow here and not there then. :P
1 likes   
#neversummer

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#2238 Postby Quixotic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 am

As we say down here in Texas “buck up, y’all”. Get the cold in here first. The noisy southern branch will take care of itself. It doesn’t take much. A ripple or two.

A white Christmas was something unheard of for 80 years until 2009 and then again in 2012. I’d give that up in a heartbeat to avoid what we’ve seen the last two winters.

Just remember it’s going to take something to move the SE ridge and then move that 1050+ mb high out of the way. I like our chances.
4 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2239 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:38 am

0z GFS Ensemble continues to indicate above normal precip and below normal temps for much of TX the last week of December.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2240 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 am

Cpv17 wrote:But wouldn’t that help us get more of a snow event vs an ice event? If the precipitation is even there

If you can get a disturbance to take advantage like STS mentioned. But they like to ride the warm/cold battle zone, that's why there is usually a big storm as cold air mass comes in, and when it lifts out but few between. If you look back at some of the great cold snaps (like 1983 and 1989) they were mostly dry. Too cold.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”