Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6781 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Ntxw wrote:Sad day that it is the (alter ego heater miser) snow miser taking charge for cold mongers :lol:. When its not cold and warm winter we complain it never gets cold. When it gets cold we complain we want warmth..never satisfy you Texans!

Ntxw, I suggest we put on our “moderator hats” and give some friendly reminders to our sudden turncoat winter weather fans!

And is that Wxman57 the “Heat Miser”? Or Wxman57 the “Heater Miser?”

Personally, I like this year’s new and improved version of the “Heater Miser”! :D
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6782 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Ntxw wrote:Mid month Feb says the cold and snow miser. I think he has been looking at some AO/NAO and EPO projections

Nope, haven't seen them. My hand is controlling the nation's weather.

I make no promises beyond this winter "Texas Snowman"...
4 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6783 Postby Rgv20 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Slight chance of freezing drizzle..

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Brownsville TX
526 PM CST Wed Jan 17 2018

TXZ251-253>255-180600-
Kenedy-Hidalgo-Inland Willacy-Inland Cameron-
Including the cities of Sarita, McAllen, Edinburg, Pharr,
Mission, Weslaco, Raymondville, Brownsville, and Harlingen
526 PM CST Wed Jan 17 2018

...Freezing drizzle possible across the lower Rio Grande valley
and northeast ranchlands late tonight into Thursday morning...

A surface trough of low pressure will develop across the western
Gulf of Mexico tonight providing light drizzle across the lower
Texas coast late tonight into Thursday morning. With temperatures
falling into the upper 20s to lower 30s tonight...some patches of
freezing drizzle...especially on bridges and overpasses that are
elevated...may develop across eastern portions of deep south Texas
late tonight as temperatures approach freezing. Little to no ice
accumulations are expected tonight into Thursday but isolated
patches of ice cannot be rules out. The drizzle will spread
further inland Thursday but temperatures will begin to climb above
freezing Thursday morning.

Motorists should exercise caution when crossing over bridges and
overpasses and should be on the lookout for patches of ice late
tonight into early Thursday.

$$

Castillo
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6784 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:39 pm

I for one am not tired of the cold at all and I was out feeding this morning in 3 degrees! #neversummer
4 likes   
#neversummer

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6785 Postby dhweather » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 pm

The map has Texas on it, so it counts. :)

Just watch the dance going on in the Northwest Pacific - incredible.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 1718&fh=36
1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6786 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:I for one am not tired of the cold at all and I was out feeding this morning in 3 degrees! #neversummer

Same here, I'm a big #NeverSummer proponent.
5 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6787 Postby Brent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:I for one am not tired of the cold at all and I was out feeding this morning in 3 degrees! #neversummer

I dont want summer either but honestly if we could stay around 70 and just get a good snow once or twice a winter... :lol:
3 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6788 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 pm

I will admit the 70 on Saturday will feel nice. But I am ready for the next arctic attack. The snowstorm will come after the January "thaw". Still looks to be average once next week begins, not too bad for a thaw. If the average to just above temps can hold until late January when the next cold wave is expected to arrive, the month should be below normal for a change.
1 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: RE: Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6789 Postby Kalrany » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Keep it coming! The la a t 2 days have been glorious here in Houston!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
3 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6790 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Mid month Feb says the cold and snow miser. I think he has been looking at some AO/NAO and EPO projections

Nope, haven't seen them. My hand is controlling the nation's weather.

I make no promises beyond this winter "Texas Snowman"...

No promises Wxman57? No problem - bring it on my good friend. :lol:

I’ve never shied away from skirmishes with your bicycle riding alter ego (Heat Miser) in the past. And I sure won’t in the future. Portastorm may relax now that he’s kicked the football a few times, but Ntxw and I never will!

#NeverSummer
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6791 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 pm

The projected cold in Alaska/NW Canada won't build until next week. That's when the wicked Siberian cold will cross over via the Aleutian ridge across the Arctic. Looks like a chunk will be pulled from a major system Jan 25th-31st. Not sure if this will yield a winter storm here but will mark a big change again. After that is when the very cold air moves southward down the Canadian prairies if the ENS are to be believed.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6792 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Me too. #donotletwxman57takeoversummer
5 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6793 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:I’ve never shied away from skirmishes with your bicycle riding alter ego (Heat Miser) in the past. And I sure won’t in the future. Portastorm may relax now that he’s kicked the football a few times, but Ntxw and I never will!

#NeverSummer

To me 70s in the spring and fall is beautiful. But that's it...in winter it needs to be cold, the colder the better. It doesn't even have to snow, snow is a bonus. Ask me 0F or 100F, I won't even hesitate to say 0.

Eternal winter optimist.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6794 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 pm

I could live with 95 and 70 during the Summer ...if if if the dew points were at 65 degrees. We all know this will not happen. Sigh.
1 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6795 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

I love snow but I agree on the cold. A good winter for me is cold and if we get snow it’s a bonus.

Summer comes and it’s miserable
2 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6796 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Ntxw wrote:The projected cold in Alaska/NW Canada won't build until next week. That's when the wicked Siberian cold will cross over via the Aleutian ridge across the Arctic. Looks like a chunk will be pulled from a major system Jan 25th-31st. Not sure if this will yield a winter storm here but will mark a big change again. After that is when the very cold air moves southward down the Canadian prairies if the ENS are to be believed.

The 12z Euro EPS D15 is locked and loaded with the mother of all Cold Air Outbreaks. When that starts moving up in time (if it doesn't fade) we could start to see individual ensemble members showing record breaking cold.
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#6797 Postby Quixotic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:The projected cold in Alaska/NW Canada won't build until next week. That's when the wicked Siberian cold will cross over via the Aleutian ridge across the Arctic. Looks like a chunk will be pulled from a major system Jan 25th-31st. Not sure if this will yield a winter storm here but will mark a big change again. After that is when the very cold air moves southward down the Canadian prairies if the ENS are to be believed.

I was thinking about this when I saw the recent news articles of -89 F cold in Russia. Our setups have been bleeding across the arctic. This has epic potential. 1983 1899 potential. Knock on wood.

The 12z Euro EPS D15 is locked and loaded with the mother of all Cold Air Outbreaks. When that starts moving up in time (if it doesn't fade) we could start to see individual ensemble members showing record breaking cold.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6798 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:41 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

Consistency is king! It's the pattern of the winter and in winters that keeps bringing cold (2013/2014 for example) the outbreaks just gets colder as you get later to it. I wouldn't doubt the coldest outbreak could be in February. Air keeps crossing the pole this winter..
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Sambucol
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6799 Postby Sambucol » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

This is showing for the end of January, if it verifies?
0 likes   

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#6800 Postby Quixotic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Quixotic wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

I was thinking about this when I saw the recent news articles of -89 F cold in Russia. Our setups have been bleeding across the arctic. This has epic potential. 1983 1899 potential. Knock on wood.
1 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”