Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#9041 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm

wxman57 wrote:76 degrees at my office off I-45 south and BW-8. Front is moving at a snail's pace across Houston as the shallow cold air modifies. Contrary to what was stated in an earlier post, an ice storm is NOT better than no winter weather at all, when an ice storm is mostly freezing rain mixed with sleet. Power outages and dangerous travel are not good. A little snow is fine, generally. Freezing rain - not so great.

Currently 61f at my house, back up from 57f about an hour ago. Started out at 74f this morning before fropa. My guess is the front is stalled and slightly retreating N or us stalled and will keep "wiggling" with varying temperatures the rest of the day.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9042 Postby gboudx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Haris wrote:Can any North Texans send me some rain that’s actually decent and measurable down in Western Austin ? Please !

Thanks
I have only recorded .9” of rain since Dec 19th

I would love to. But I don't remember you or any Austin folks sending me any sleet or snow this winter. Not that I'm keeping score or anything. :cheesy:
2 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9043 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Temps are bouncing back and forth between 32 and 34 across Tarrant Co, Meacham is now up to 36 after being 34 most of the afternoon. I think that heavy rain shield that came through pulled down some of that warmer air aloft.

Temps west and northwest have also gone up 2-3 degrees from the 28-29 range to 30-31...
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#9044 Postby Haris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm

gboudx wrote:
Haris wrote:Can any North Texans send me some rain that’s actually decent and measurable down in Western Austin ? Please !

Thanks

I would love to. But I don't remember you or any Austin folks sending me any sleet or snow this winter. Not that
I'm keeping score or anything. :cheesy:

Eh, snow is fun. But that’s fun. We NEED rain. No rain equals drought . Drought harms us badly in landlocked Central Texas . No Snow doesn’t harm ya. ;)
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9045 Postby gboudx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Haris wrote:
gboudx wrote:

Thanks

I would love to. But I don't remember you or any Austin folks sending me any sleet or snow this winter. Not that

Eh, snow is fun. But that’s fun. We NEED rain. No rain equals drought . Drought harms us badly in landlocked Central Texas . No Snow doesn’t harm ya. ;)

My jealousy caused me anxiety and nausea, so yes I was harmed. :) But looking at the Central Texas radar, there's a line of showers and storms moving eastward toward you. We're trying.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9046 Postby Brent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Haris wrote:
gboudx wrote:

Thanks

not to stray off topic but did you see some snow in NYC Haris? I went to the Upper West Side and Central Park and it was beautiful.

Oh and I would gladly send some rain, we're getting too much :double:
2 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9047 Postby wxman57 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

The leading edge of the cold air is quickly modifying as it tries to move across Houston. Front is between me and my house now. Low 60s there, mid 70s here. Not much push behind the front, but it should advance a bit south after sunset.

2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#9048 Postby Haris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Brent wrote:
Haris wrote:
gboudx wrote:

not to stray off topic but did you see some snow in NYC Haris? I went to the Upper West Side and Central Park and it was beautiful.

Heck yeah! It was BEAUTIFUL! My hotel was near Rockefeller park (near World Trade Center) and I measure 3.9” of the white stuff. Stayed out in the snow for hours . Heavy wet snkw creating slushy roads was so cool and crazy
5 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9049 Postby DFWLady » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Haris wrote:
Brent wrote:
Haris wrote:

Heck yeah! It was BEAUTIFUL! My hotel was near Rockefeller park (near World Trade Center) and I measure 3.9” of the white stuff. Stayed out in the snow for hours . Heavy wet snkw creating slushy roads was so cool and crazy

My husband is from Long Island NY and we have been up there many times when they would get inces to over a foot of snow! Its beautiful! I have pictures from on top of the Empire State Building when everything was covered in snow below us! It was awesome! Christmas in NY City is stunning!
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9050 Postby Brent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

DFWLady wrote:
Haris wrote:
Brent wrote:

My husband is from Long Island NY and we have been up there many times when they would get inces to over a foot of snow! Its beautiful! I have pictures from on top of the Empire State Building when everything was covered in snow below us! It was awesome! Christmas in NY City is stunning!

I've been to NYC a couple times in the summer and I love it up there but I had always wanted to see the city in a snowstorm... and I can't believe I got so lucky only going for a weekend :lol: What was odd was how in 20 blocks it went from a winter wonderland at the edge of Central Park to nothing but wet concrete around Times Square :lol:

Anyway after briefly dropping to 33 my temp is back up to 34 so I'm not really seeing any ice for Dallas
1 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9051 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Crazy that all along the east coast had temps ranging from the upper 60's to upper 70s as far north as Boston today
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9052 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Significant ice buildup continues in trees and power lines here in Denison.

From Grayson County Scanner Facebook: “There are too many reports of downed power lines and trees across the road to keep up. Use caution on roads and watch for trees down. This is especially the case on county roads. When coming around corners and over hills slow down in case there is a tree or line across the road. Not hearing any reports of slick roads in Grayson county yet. We will update as much as possible. -Roy”
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9053 Postby DFWLady » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Brent wrote:
DFWLady wrote:
Haris wrote:

I've been to NYC a couple times in the summer and I love it up there but I had always wanted to see the city in a snowstorm... and I can't believe I got so lucky only going for a weekend :lol: What was odd was how in 20 blocks it went from a winter wonderland at the edge of Central Park to nothing but wet concrete around Times Square :lol:

Anyway after briefly dropping to 33 my temp is back up to 34 so I'm not really seeing any ice for Dallas

Lol yeah winter in he city is crazy! We were there a couple years back mid-February and it was pretty warm in the morning and by noon it was freezing and snowing lol! By that night there was over 8inches of snow and it was a blast! You could tell who wasn't from there because we were all playing in the snow and walking the streets just enjoying it lol! My husband thinks I'm crazy with how much I love the snow, but he is so used to it being from there and I am not being from DFW lol. Yep summer time in the city is AWESOME! One of our favorite times to go is when its warm and we can sit and people watch lol! We also love walking around watching the street performers! Some of my best memories!

Nope I think we are out on the ice front lol which is ok cause I don't wanna drive home in it! If everything wants to turn icy overnight, I have NO problem with that at all lol!
1 likes   

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9054 Postby DFWLady » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Brent wrote:
DFWLady wrote:
Haris wrote:

Ha! Using your story, DFW is the Central Park of the winter. Nothing for us here but wet concrete lol
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#9055 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Haris wrote:
gboudx wrote:

Thanks

As much as I'm disappointed that not much rain has fallen here at the Rain Cave, we can be glad that a fairly nice amount of rain fell across the Hill Country and areas that do benefit the Highland Lake Chain. Areas that have needed it more than Austin proper. That in my book is satisfactory.
4 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9056 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm

:uarrow:
Yeah that definitely helps. Hopefully the aquifer can go up after this event. Sure could've used more, but we'll take all we can get. My parents house in SA got a thin line of storms this afternoon. Better than nothing!
2 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9057 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm

The Austin College weather station is showing 0.99 for the day (and 4.50 for the month)

With temps at or below freezing all day, power outages are happening everywhere.

From Grayson County Scanner FB just now:

“There is a power line down across the 3400 block of S Eisenhower Parkway/Spur 503. It is across the highway and service roads. The roadway will be closed at this time. Please find an alternate route. -Roy”
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#9058 Postby Haris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm

I’m in West Austin and I got many small streamer showers since yesterday but one fairly strong cell made it here . Dime size hail and tropical downpour. My rain gauge has about 6/10” rain. Better than nothing
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#9059 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm

We had a heavy cell move through our area according to radar. I'll check gauge when I get home.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9060 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Sleet and ice
9 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”