Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6761 Postby Rgv20 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:15 pm

Radar starting to show some returns on the western part of deep south texas but current observation in Zapata is reporting cloudy conditions. Dew points are in the teens.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#6762 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:35 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:Almost 12:30p.m. and it's still 31 degrees here at the Ice Cave! On clear a sunny day no less. :froze: :double:

I'm really worried about my palms. I don't mind it getting below freezing occasionally but this will cause wide spread damage to a lot of the vegitation across the state including stressing native species. It's not just matter of loss of sensitive plants, we are also talking about money value as well which I won't even attempt to calculate large scale. For me if my palms die, considering their size and age, that's about a 7-8 thousand dollar loss. The Texas Sabal may be able to make it through since they are cold hardy and can grow as far north as DFW but my California Fan might be doomed. :cry:

My dad has palms up this way and he has to wrap them every year and put Xmas lights around the trunks and spotlights at the bottom of the trunks. His Texas sabals usually do pretty good into the teens but the Florida sabals suffer. A few years ago we hit single digits similar to this cold spell and he lost al of the foliage out of all of them but they did end up coming back. Good luck with them!

Hope your palms are okay. Back in 2013, we had a really hard freeze (down to 14), and both of my Sagos turned peach, and lost all their fronds. I know Sagos are technically Cycads, not palms. But the Sago trunks were without leaves well into Spring, almost Summer. My neighbor's property is just the other side of one of them. He was even wondering if it had survived or not. They eventually grew back leaves, and were even more shapely and beautiful than before that freeze, and I had even covered them in that white nursery burlap.

I don't bother covering them anymore. It got to 17 this morning, and I notice the tips of the leaves are that tan color (from the previous 21 degrees it got to a few weeks or so ago). I had called the nursery when they lost the leaves. They said if the trunk itself is soft and squishy, it is in trouble. If trunk is still hard solid, it is fine. They were both solid.

Not sure about the palms, but as far as Sagos, my dad thought he heard they could survive down to 10 degrees, but didn't want me to quote him on that. :wink:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Yea Sagos can survive to at least 10 degrees, I have heard from some people that they can survive even colder though that is only hearsay, it would depend on their specific location, and how well their little micro environment is protected.

The California is already browning on top from the previous events and if it was just one or two times, I wouldn't be as concerned but it's been more this year. Either way will have to wait a few months to see if new green fronds pop up at the top. We had a pretty wet December so that helps.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6763 Postby Brent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:43 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Lagreeneyes03 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:My post last February 10th to Portastorm:

"I DO think that there will be significant snow across Texas NEXT winter. Even in Austin..."

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=117967&p=2574329#p2574329

I'm still working on the DFW area. Their more significant snow will come in February.

What part of February? Please not when I'm gone for the Daytona 500...I missed the 2010 snow because I was gone, and we froze our butts off in Florida, it was only 57 on race day.

Mid month, between the 7th and 20th. I cannot account for your travels.

Of course... :lol:

oh well maybe it'll turn into a blizzard in NYC when I'm there. :P
1 likes   
#neversummer

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6764 Postby EnnisTx » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:My dad has palms up this way and he has to wrap them every year and put Xmas lights around the trunks and spotlights at the bottom of the trunks. His Texas sabals usually do pretty good into the teens but the Florida sabals suffer. A few years ago we hit single digits similar to this cold spell and he lost al of the foliage out of all of them but they did end up coming back. Good luck with them!

Hope your palms are okay. Back in 2013, we had a really hard freeze (down to 14), and both of my Sagos turned peach, and lost all their fronds. I know Sagos are technically Cycads, not palms. But the Sago trunks were without leaves well into Spring, almost Summer. My neighbor's property is just the other side of one of them. He was even wondering if it had survived or not. They eventually grew back leaves, and were even more shapely and beautiful than before that freeze, and I had even covered them in that white nursery burlap.

I don't bother covering them anymore. It got to 17 this morning, and I notice the tips of the leaves are that tan color (from the previous 21 degrees it got to a few weeks or so ago). I had called the nursery when they lost the leaves. They said if the trunk itself is soft and squishy, it is in trouble. If trunk is still hard solid, it is fine. They were both solid.

Not sure about the palms, but as far as Sagos, my dad thought he heard they could survive down to 10 degrees, but didn't want me to quote him on that. :wink:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Yea Sagos can survive to at least 10 degrees, I have heard from some people that they can survive even colder though that is only hearsay, it would depend on their specific location, and how well their little micro environment is protected.

The California is already browning on top from the previous events and if it was just one or two times, I wouldn't be as concerned but it's been more this year. Either way will have to wait a few months to see if new green fronds pop up at the top. We had a pretty wet December so that helps.

Actually Sago's are tolerant down to 15* F for short periods of time. 10* F will probably kill them. I would suggest covering them if it's not already to late. Learned this by experience after loosing several at 12* F
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6765 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm

The temperature @ DFW Airport made it up to 35 as of 3pm.... :sun:
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6766 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:03 pm

We spent right about 42 hours subfreezing, only going to get abovet for a couple hours then back into the deep freeze for tonight. Temps will likely fall quickly this evening and then slow or even hold steady after midnight. Expecting mid teens here tonight.

We have had a freeze on 14/17 days so far this month. 6/17 days with a low in the teens. My average low this month is 24.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#6767 Postby Tejas89 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Some bitterly cold temps building into central AK next week.
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6768 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Tejas89 wrote:Some bitterly cold temps building into central AK next week.

Yep, we have quite a bit of winter to go. This will be a winter remembered for a long time. Hopefully part of the story of this winter is a big snowstorm for the northern part of the state. Sounds kinda greedy to say that with snow on the ground outside, haha.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6769 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Mid month Feb says the cold and snow miser. I think he has been looking at some AO/NAO and EPO projections
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6770 Postby Brent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:
Tejas89 wrote:Some bitterly cold temps building into central AK next week.

Yep, we have quite a bit of winter to go. This will be a winter remembered for a long time. Hopefully part of the story of this winter is a big snowstorm for the northern part of the state. Sounds kinda greedy to say that with snow on the ground outside, haha.

yeah the cold has been interesting and all but we still have to get a good snow in Dallas or I won't be remembering much here
2 likes   
#neversummer

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#6771 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Okay, I'm ready for it to be warm.
6 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6772 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:48 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Okay, I'm ready for it to be warm.

This may shock people but so am I. The older and crankier I get, the colder I get more easily. Let's get us a good, cold, wet storm system to roll through North Texas and snow its brains out over our friends up there and we'll call it a Winter. :wink:

BTW, I like the avatar!
6 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6773 Postby Brent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

GFS has that storm around Day 10-12 again

I'm fine with a warmup(the dry cold gets old anyway) as long as we get our snowstorm before the winter is over. :P
3 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6774 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Portastorm wrote:

This may shock people but so am I. The older and crankier I get, the colder I get more easily. Let's get us a good, cold, wet storm system to roll through North Texas and snow its brains out over our friends up there and we'll call it a Winter. :wink:

BTW, I like the avatar!

I agree. I'm tired of the cold. Don't get me wrong, this winter has been nice with several frozen precip events here, but I'm ready for warmer temps and thunderstorms!
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6775 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I think everyone would take the 18z GFS and be happy regardless of precip type lol

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6776 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Portastorm wrote:

BTW, I like the avatar!

Who are you and what did you do with Portastorm?!?

And where is Champ the Charger and a backseat full of Gray Goose?!?
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6777 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:11 pm

0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6778 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Ok, for all of you complaining about cold weather and no big storm in North Texas (so far), I refer you to the miserable non-winter of 2016-17.

Don’t make me go back and dig up some embarrassing comments from some of you folks (that were made last year!) :lol:

I’d suggest you enjoy every hour of chilly weather right now because summertime will be here before you know it.
10 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6779 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Sad day that it is the (alter ego heater miser) snow miser taking charge for cold mongers :lol:. When its not cold and warm winter we complain it never gets cold. When it gets cold we complain we want warmth..never satisfy you Texans!
7 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6780 Postby Brent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Ok, for all of you complaining about cold weather and no big storm in North Texas (so far), I refer you to the miserable non-winter of 2016-17.

Don’t make me go back and dig up some embarrassing comments from some of you folks (that were made last year!) :lol:

I’d suggest you enjoy every hour of chilly weather right now because summertime will be here before you know it.

oh I know trust me... when people were complaining about the cold yesterday I was like "don't worry it'll be 95 daily soon enough"

Sadly...
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”