Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6821 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am

losf1981 wrote:the guy on oklahoma weather network is calling for a blizzard event for west texas into the oklahoma panhandle at the end of the month with the rest of the state getting rain. Of course the snow line stops just west of wichita falls. :roll:

I wouldn't worry about where a rain/snow line is for a storm 10+ days out. Or call for a blizzard.
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6822 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am

Texas Snowman wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Sad day that it is the (alter ego heater miser) snow miser taking charge for cold mongers :lol:. When its not cold and warm winter we complain it never gets cold. When it gets cold we complain we want warmth..never satisfy you Texans!

Ntxw, I suggest we put on our “moderator hats” and give some friendly reminders to our sudden turncoat winter weather fans!

And is that Wxman57 the “Heat Miser”? Or Wxman57 the “Heater Miser?”

Personally, I like this year’s new and improved version of the “Heater Miser”! :D

You realize that more we taunt him, the more he will get us back in the Summer. He has already alluded to this in the Fall 2017 thread. Sigh.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6823 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:19 am

Tireman4 wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Sad day that it is the (alter ego heater miser) snow miser taking charge for cold mongers :lol:. When its not cold and warm winter we complain it never gets cold. When it gets cold we complain we want warmth..never satisfy you Texans!

Ntxw, I suggest we put on our “moderator hats” and give some friendly reminders to our sudden turncoat winter weather fans!

Personally, I like this year’s new and improved version of the “Heater Miser”! :D

You realize that more we taunt him, the more he will get us back in the Summer. He has already alluded to this in the Fall 2017 thread. Sigh.

I say we all buy Wxman57 some flowers and chocolates. I don't want a death ridge this Summer. :(
7 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#6824 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am

TheProfessor wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:

I say we all buy Wxman57 some flowers and chocolates. I don't want a death ridge this Summer. :(

I suspect Wxman57 is sitting back and grinning like a Cheshire Cat and saying something like this......

2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6825 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 am

losf1981 wrote:the guy on oklahoma weather network is calling for a blizzard event for west texas into the oklahoma panhandle at the end of the month with the rest of the state getting rain. Of course the snow line stops just west of wichita falls. :roll:

Way to far out for any specifics, however keep in mind the Xmas eve 2009 blizzard and the forecast and snowfall maps leading up to it and even the day before. It originally kept everytging just west.
3 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6826 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

Tammie wrote:Michael Ventrice just posted this on Twitter. What does it mean?
"Red flag raised on medium range model guidance with regards to how they are handling what looks to be a massive anticyclonic wave break over the North Pacific across the Arctic Circle"
"I'm expecting increased volatility in both the GFS and ECMWF deterministic models as they try to resolve this beast of a Blocking High"

That will project more onto the WPO which can drive cold for us but not like the EPO. The setup will favor some wetter weather over Texas but not so sure about cold. As is typical, any big break like that will stump the models but once they pin it down the blocking can help stabilize the models. In the longer range, it looks like the block will break down and retrograde helping to excite the Pacific jet. If that happens, then that jet streak could be the trigger that sets off the next round of wave breaking into a big WCAN ridge (repeat of this current cold period) but maybe with a more favorable MJO.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6827 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:34 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Forecasted low was 19, its currently 13 at the house. Hopefully the cooler than forecasted trend continues into this weekend and we don't actually see 70 degrees.

Love the new signature... I will join in.

I was toasty playing football in the snow the other day with my 5 year old. Had on the Sitka gear head to toe.

Yes! Team Never Summer. If you ever need new gear check out KUIU. Its made by the same guy the started Sitka before he sold it. Same, sometimes even better quality and half the price.

Sitka Gear, KUIU, SmartWool - heck, I say we take up a collection and buy some for Portastorm. Maybe we can keep him from drifting over to the winter weather darkside.

Maybe we should get some for Wxman57 too. If we can keep him warm and toasty in the wintertime, maybe his cold loving alter ego (Heater Miser) will stick around. :D
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6828 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am

Tireman4 wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:

Who’s taunting? I like his wintertime alter ego Heater Miser!

He delivered the goods this winter for Portastorm and you guys down in SE Texas. Heck, he even delivered the goods to Corpus and South Texas too!

As long as he’ll remain friendly in the wintertime, I can let him have some reasonable heat in the summer months. You know, for a week or so! :lol:
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6829 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:As long as he’ll remain friendly in the wintertime, I can let him have some reasonable heat in the summer months. You know, for a week or so! :lol:

Thank you, Texas Snowman. Reasonable heat sounds good for about a week, before summer begins, that is.
4 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6830 Postby dhweather » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 pm

NOAA is adding 2.8 petaflops (quadrillion floating point operations per second) of compute power this Spring, increasing the organizations computational power to 8.4 petaflops. For comparison's sake, in 2015, NOAA was running a peak of 0.77 petaflops. The GFS is getting a significant upgrade as well in 2019. The new 2.8 petaflops of supercomputing power will run the new GFS code during the tropical season this year, in a research mode.

Read more here: http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa- ... er-upgrade
2 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6831 Postby orangeblood » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Beginning signs of an EPO dive ??? If so, could be quite the Arctic Outbreak towards the 2nd week in Feb, especially considering the -40 to -50 deg F below average anomalies showing up in Alaska over the next couple of weeks

1 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6832 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
Love the new signature... I will join in.

I was toasty playing football in the snow the other day with my 5 year old. Had on the Sitka gear head to toe.

Yes! Team Never Summer. If you ever need new gear check out KUIU. Its made by the same guy the started Sitka before he sold it. Same, sometimes even better quality and half the price.

Sitka Gear, KUIU, SmartWool - heck, I say we take up a collection and buy some for Portastorm. Maybe we can keep him from drifting over to the winter weather darkside.

Maybe we should get some for Wxman57 too. If we can keep him warm and toasty in the wintertime, maybe his cold loving alter ego (Heater Miser) will stick around. :D

Team Never Summer approves!
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6833 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm

orangeblood wrote:Beginning signs of an EPO dive ??? If so, could be quite the Arctic Outbreak towards the 2nd week in Feb, especially considering the -40 to -50 deg F below average anomalies showing up in Alaska over the next couple of weeks

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... mer_63.png

End of 12z Euro is pointing in that direction.

-PNA forecast has been weakening. Bering ridge may go into the arctic and dump south over NA again. Winter persistent pattern
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6834 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 pm

I'd keep an eye on the dates between Janaury 25th-30th. That date has been highlighted by the Bering Sear Rule(I don't know what you guys think about organic forecasting) The latest Euro run has an EGL cutter while the CMC has a miller B system. Could be one of those classic central U.S storms where Winter storm warnings form a long row from North Texas to Indiana. Or it could be another big east coast storm. If there's going to be a storm that seems like a safe bet. :lol:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6835 Postby Brent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Euro tries to be interesting in that timeframe :uarrow:
0 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6836 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm

12Z Euro has a hard freeze for DFW on the 28th and a very light freeze down here in Houston on that date. Just a little Canadian air. Nothing like this week (so far). No post-frontal precip indicated. GFS moves a Pacific front through Texas on the 27th, with low 40s DFW and mid 40s Houston on the 28th.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6837 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 pm

:uarrow: Those models have been running 5-10F too high a week out when depicting cold air movement this winter :D. A week+ out they also have been poor with source region!
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6838 Postby Brent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I did say TRY to be interesting... :P its the only thing possibly wintry worth talking about in forecasting range
0 likes   
#neversummer

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6839 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm

If we can get a storm to do to us, what the last storm did to North Carolina, this Winter Thread will go north of 500 pages.
5 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6840 Postby Brent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:If we can get a storm to do to us, what the last storm did to North Carolina, this Winter Thread will go north of 500 pages.

here's hoping... its been a bitter last month or so for me. :lol:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”