Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#121 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
CaptinCrunch wrote:
BTAYLOR5021 wrote:Take what NOAA says with a grain of salt... La Nina's tend to be warmer and dryer overall but has brought some of the coldest cold snaps the DFW N Texas and its fair share of winter stoms. They are pretty robotic with their long range forecasts. Remember when they said winter 15-16 would be cooler? They were wrong in fact it was very warm that winter with only a TRACE of snow.

The CPC seasonal WINTER outlook is no better than 50% accurate which oddly enough is the same % of the Old Farmers Almanac winter outlook. :roll: :spam:

Id put money on us either having a warm winter or a cold winter. :cheesy:

Best I can tell from the early indicators and forecasts, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE "WINTER". Now, can someone define "WINTER' for me?
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby Brent » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:16 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
CaptinCrunch wrote:
The CPC seasonal WINTER outlook is no better than 50% accurate which oddly enough is the same % of the Old Farmers Almanac winter outlook. :roll: :spam:

Id put money on us either having a warm winter or a cold winter. :cheesy:

Best I can tell from the early indicators and forecasts, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE "WINTER". Now, can someone define "WINTER' for me?

a day or two of cold? :lol:
3 likes   
#neversummer

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby weathaguyry » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:31 am

Brent wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Id put money on us either having a warm winter or a cold winter. :cheesy:

1. Winter- noun, The period of the year when Texas will definitely get multiple snow and ice storms, and temperatures below 50 degrees every single day throughout the whole state
3 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#124 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:41 am

weathaguyry wrote:
Brent wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Best I can tell from the early indicators and forecasts, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE "WINTER". Now, can someone define "WINTER' for me?

1. Winter- noun, The period of the year when Texas will definitely get multiple snow and ice storms, and temperatures below 50 degrees every single day throughout the whole state

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
One of the best jokes I've seen in a long time!!
2 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby amawea » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:08 pm

weathaguyry wrote:
Brent wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Best I can tell from the early indicators and forecasts, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE "WINTER". Now, can someone define "WINTER' for me?

2. How long are Texas winters, Answer: 1 day :lol:
2 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

The long range models generally are showing a Aleutian based PO ridge and some troughiness SW of CA for the winter. The best part of this to me is this should, for the most part, prevent cold shots from sliding too far east, and if the stay west with troughiness off of Mexico we should get some moisture at least. There will definitely be times where the eastern ridge bakes us though. Looks like we are in for a roller coaster of a winter with us going from 80 to 10 to 80 in a period of days.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#127 Postby Portastorm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:The long range models generally are showing a Aleutian based PO ridge and some troughiness SW of CA for the winter. The best part of this to me is this should, for the most part, prevent cold shots from sliding too far east, and if the stay west with troughiness off of Mexico we should get some moisture at least. There will definitely be times where the eastern ridge bakes us though. Looks like we are in for a roller coaster of a winter with us going from 80 to 10 to 80 in a period of days.

I think you're generally on target. While things will average out warmer-than-normal and drier-than-normal, I believe we will have at least several opportunities this winter at big time cold and frozen precip stretching well south into the state. Once that jet stream buckles, it's LOOK OUT BELOW! It won't happen often but when it does, it'll get our attention.
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#128 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Does "WINTER" exist in Texas? 93f in DFW today? Are you kidding me? :eek: Mid 80s in Houston? Normal is 77f? Give me some hope!! :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Does "WINTER" exist in Texas? 93f in DFW today? Are you kidding me? :eek: Mid 80s in Houston? Normal is 77f? Give me some hope!! :eek:

Even in last year's torch we got down to 13. This winter we should have numerous cold blasts with warmth in between.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#130 Postby Portastorm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Do you like those very technical seasonal forecasts? If so, here's one to check out:

http://m.uploadedit.com/bbtc/1509722707103.pdf

This person is an enthusiast and not a professional met but he/she clearly knows some things. Not sure how accurate it will be but I will say the thoughts in this forecast are fairly similar to Larry Cosgrove's forecast for winter issued last weekend. Seems like January may be the best month for us to experience a good wintry event or two.

Enjoy the reading and if y'all see other forecasts for winter, post 'em in this thread.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#131 Postby Ntxw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Portastorm wrote:Do you like those very technical seasonal forecasts? If so, here's one to check out:

This person is an enthusiast and not a professional met but he/she clearly knows some things. Not sure how accurate it will be but I will say the thoughts in this forecast are fairly similar to Larry Cosgrove's forecast for winter issued last weekend. Seems like January may be the best month for us to experience a good wintry event or two.

Enjoy the reading and if y'all see other forecasts for winter, post 'em in this thread.

Thank you for sharing that! They seem to know their stuff and it is worth every penny to read. You don't see many use the NPO domain (EPO) as a forecasting tool in seasonal outlook but here they have done their homework! Bravo
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Portastorm wrote:Do you like those very technical seasonal forecasts? If so, here's one to check out:

Yes, thank you for sharing this information, and as I read it I found several of his "Key" notes to be very intresting regarding QBO progression. The winters he noted 83-84, 00-01 are 2 of the coldest La Nina winters (for NTX), he also noted 62-63, and 81-82 were similar, both of which were colder than average neutral winters. 11-12 was the odd year out as it was top 3 warmest La Nina winters for NTX.

Another intresting area was his take on the AO/NAO with regards to the solar cycle/flux, in his charts he highlighted 5 years in Yellow, 1963, 1977, 1987, 1996 and 2010, ALL cold winters for NTX.

The yellow highlighted years are the 5 years with the combination of: 1) the frontend of
the -QBO (either Neutral & Falling or Negative & Falling), and 2) solar flux minimum.
2018 is also highlighted as the anticipation is that we will add a 6th year to that list this
winter. For the 5 highlighted winters, 16 of 20 months had a -AO/NAO, the highest
percentage for any QBO/Solar Flux combo. The stars aligned during the 09-10 winter as
all solar parameters were very low in concert with a frontend -QBO

He noted 95-96
"QBO wasn’t as far into the negative phase as the other highlighted years"
this was also a cold winter.

Very Intresting indeed!
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#133 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 am

With the latest ONI ERSSTv5 update the NIna will have started pretty late, if at all. The late start weak NInas I plotted out of curiosity. Pretty close to Nina composites of cold north (western US also) and warmer east and south. NW trough, SE ridge configure is pretty prevalent. Texas is in the swing zone between the two. This is fairly simple not considering the upper pattern and only ENSO SST anomalies.

QPF is pretty bleak

1984-1985 is heavy with the cooler anomalies our way the most though so that's the one analog you want to work. That winter is historic for the January blast with cold and snow deep into Texas. But if we got the more modern versions in 05 and 08 then the maps are all red.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby Ralph's Weather » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:51 pm

I think this is a pretty solid winter outlook. I have noticed the NW N Pac ridging setting up. The NW US looks like a lock to be cold and the eastern US looks like a lock to be warm. The best portion of winter for Texas does look to be January.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#135 Postby wxman57 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Note that I had nothing to do with the preparation of that very warm winter forecast for Texas. This winter will be colder than last winter, I promise.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#136 Postby Portastorm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:01 pm

:uarrow:

You have been promising that for months. We are going to hold you to it! And we're eager to hear what your cold-mongerer colleague has to say about the winter season ahead?!
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#137 Postby wxman57 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

You have been promising that for months. We are going to hold you to it! And we're eager to hear what your cold-mongerer colleague has to say about the winter season ahead?!

Wow! I didn't realize that Hobby Airport (south Houston) hit 90 twice (2nd and 5th), tying the all-time high there for November. Average temps through yesterday were 13.2F above normal at Hobby. Last November was about 5.4F above normal at Hobby.

My cold-mogering coworker is out of the office today. He'll be in the office tomorrow.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#138 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:58 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Note that I had nothing to do with the preparation of that very warm winter forecast for Texas. This winter will be colder than last winter, I promise.

We need better assurances than using last winter :lol:. Considering it was the hottest winter ever ever on record for Texas as a whole!!

We need something like "Frigid winter", "I'm staying indoors all winter", or "I'm moving to Tahiti" type winters...
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 am

wxman57 wrote:This winter will be colder than last winter, I promise.

This isnt saying much lol.

I think I missed last winter...
0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am

Brent wrote:
wxman57 wrote:This winter will be colder than last winter, I promise.

This isnt saying much lol.

I think I missed last winter...

We all missed last winter since the seasons went "Summer, Extended Summer, Fall Like, Early Spring, and Spring".....Which brings us back to this past Summer :sun: :ggreen: :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”