Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#6841 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

All of the major models have the big digging watch. Things to look for throughout next week, how cold the air is coming out of Alaska/NW Canada? Underestimated? Will the arctic high bomb again as it comes south as models trend bigger? Does the Pacific cooperate? So many questions but extremely early. All of it plays a role how far south this trends.

5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6842 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm

:uarrow: Been watching this storm for a while now. Scheduled to drive to Amarillo on the friday, then Amarillo to Crested Butte that Saturday morning. Pretty inconsistent at the moment, but the idea of a panhandle hooker system is on the cards.

Looking again, these next couple storms will build a nice snowpack in the plains
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#6843 Postby Quixotic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 pm

HM was hinting at suppression again for the above storm.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#6844 Postby Haris » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Looking at everything and concurring with several other meteorologists across the state, a late January cold snap (Exact strength not known) could occur in TX again. We could have a wetter pattern too but that is less certain.

Main idea: More cold is possible through February.
A *possible* wetter pattern later this month mainly E of TX
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#6845 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Sprinkling here at Weatherdude Center.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6846 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Cold rainy day in the mid valley, the day started 33, noon 35, and currently 38 with drizzle.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#6847 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Quixotic wrote:HM was hinting at suppression again for the above storm.

I see this term a lot but not sure what it means, what is suppression in terms of winter weather systems?
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#6848 Postby Quixotic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Lagreeneyes03 wrote:
Quixotic wrote:HM was hinting at suppression again for the above storm.

I see this term a lot but not sure what it means, what is suppression in terms of winter weather systems?

Mets can correct me, but in layman’s terms it means that the storm track is pushed further south than expected. Big high pressures have a tendency to be modeled poorly and suppress or push the jet to the south. It’s all based on perspective. Here in North Texas, everything has been further south than what we want. Other years, we cash in while OKC misses out but freezes from the dominant HP that keeps them dry.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6849 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 am

Decent temp bust this morning. Forecasted at 29, made it to 23.
0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6850 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am

Keeping up with January in NTX

AVERAGE DAILY H/50.8 L/28.7
AVERAGE MONTHLY: 39.8
DPTR FM NORMAL: -5.9
HIGHEST: 66 ON 6th
LOWEST: 13 ON 17th

13 of the first 18 days of the month with a recorded freeze. :ggreen:

We recored 11 freezes total winter 2017 (Dec-Feb) 18 so far this season. :cold: average for NTX is 33
Last edited by CaptinCrunch on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

whitewolf124
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6851 Postby whitewolf124 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 am

I know the January and February are usually the coldest months for south Texas, it’s been pretty cold since December. Missed to first real snow fall in San Antonio I was in New York. Had two more chances with the storm on New Years and this latest one but to no fruition. Can anyone tell me if we still have a good shot of a snow event not ice this time all the way south in San Antonio?
0 likes   

whitewolf124
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6852 Postby whitewolf124 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am

FYI, I’m in no way a meteorologist just love winter weather and snow so I mostly just read what people post and hope for a good snow event here in San Antonio.
1 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6853 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Decent temp bust this morning. Forecasted at 29, made it to 23.

Forecasted 26, 37 when I woke up. Clouds are much thicker than expected.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6854 Postby Portastorm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am

whitewolf124 wrote:I know the January and February are usually the coldest months for south Texas, it’s been pretty cold since December. Missed to first real snow fall in San Antonio I was in New York. Had two more chances with the storm on New Years and this latest one but to no fruition. Can anyone tell me if we still have a good shot of a snow event not ice this time all the way south in San Antonio?

If anyone can answer your question with authority, then they should be going to Vegas and putting money down on the Super Bowl! :lol:

All we really know at this point is that another cold period, similar to what we have just gone through, appears more likely than not for the period around Feb 4-18. Forecasting the location and path of storm systems at this point is highly subjective and highly susceptible to flaws. Stay tuned!
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6855 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:08 am

Ralph's Weather wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Decent temp bust this morning. Forecasted at 29, made it to 23.

Forecasted 26, 37 when I woke up. Clouds are much thicker than expected.

Our saving grace were the clear skies and calm wind.
0 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6856 Postby wxman57 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 am

Portastorm wrote:
whitewolf124 wrote:I know the January and February are usually the coldest months for south Texas, it’s been pretty cold since December. Missed to first real snow fall in San Antonio I was in New York. Had two more chances with the storm on New Years and this latest one but to no fruition. Can anyone tell me if we still have a good shot of a snow event not ice this time all the way south in San Antonio?

If anyone can answer your question with authority, then they should be going to Vegas and putting money down on the Super Bowl! :lol:

All we really know at this point is that another cold period, similar to what we have just gone through, appears more likely than not for the period around Feb 4-18. Forecasting the location and path of storm systems at this point is highly subjective and highly susceptible to flaws. Stay tuned!

Snow in San Antonio and Austin February 16th, Portastorm. Working on it...
7 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6857 Postby Portastorm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am

:uarrow:

Wow! You're like Babe Ruth now ... calling your shots. :eek:
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6858 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Alright Mr Freeze, I for one wanted to see Porta sipping his Greygoose and enjoying a Austin Blizzard! Now you have filled that request and more, February Belongs to NTX, so anymore winter wx for Porta needs to happen this month.... :ggreen: :ggreen:
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6859 Postby NDG » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Just got back from Houston last night, got there Monday night when temps were only in the low 50s and wow did your temps dropped like a rock Tuesday morning taking most people by surprise. I was bummed out that it mostly a sleet event, at least in the downtown & Sugarland area where I was. It was odd driving around on Tuesday morning and the freeways with not much traffic before all of over passes started freezing later in the day, luckily for the area the ground was warm enough for the sleet to melt except for the elevated areas. My co-workers and I got stuck in the Hotel Tuesday since all restaurants around us were all closed, that was another experience we ended getting another room, getting food from the grocery store next to the hotel that luckily was open and taking it to that room for all of us to eat because our Hotel had trouble keeping up with their food service from all their guests that were stuck in it for the night.
My co-workers from NY had a hard time understanding of why southern cities shut down during a wintry precipitation event lol.
2 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6860 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Any love for dfw?
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”