Global Models Thread for Winter / USA & Caribbean Weather Forums

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Global Models Thread for Winter / USA & Caribbean Weather Forums

#1 Postby tolakram » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am

Similar to the tropics global model thread, but let's do one for winter.

Looks like some cold weather incoming to the east. We plan on doing some biking Sunday, just warm enough here near Cincinnati, then back to winter soon. :(

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Global Models Thread for Winter / USA & Caribbean Weather Forums

#2 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am

With high latitude blocks driven by Pacific wave-trains, looks like the major population centers of the northern hemisphere see's early winter chill. There are rumbles of WPAC activity that may enhance the already amplified northern Pacific.

The very warm waters just west of the dateline and cool waters off the South American coast has convection patterns similar to that of early winter 2013. Linkage from the convection out west forces a stable NPO North Pacific ridge. It's been meandering between the Aleutians and Northwest North America warming the SSTs as it goes.

1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gboudx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:27 am

We need to keep a watch on Mt Agung for a possible eruption as well. I've been reading how a large eruption could affect global temps on the "cooling" side.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3891851/bali ... peratures/
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby chaser1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:42 am

Seems to me that both the GFS and the EURO are both equally advertising a good amount of troughing in the East (CONUS) beginning this upcoming Thurs./Fri. Actually looks to me as if the EURO has the sharpest 500mb trough in the east at the moment. I'm rooting for it to play out and bring on down that nice cool air down into Florida!!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TexasBreeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby TexasBreeze » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 am

12z gfs= winter fail for TX except for 1 or 2 days of cooler air. Maybe it can rain in the least? Great pattern for the east and northeast US
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:04 am

I can't read these things ....

Prognostications for Jan/Feb? Or don't they go that far?
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Things look to be coming together as expected. I expect a nationwide trough around the winter solstice or a bit after. Hope we can get a southern stream storm to bring rain and snow to the SW.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Hammy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:34 am

GFS has been keen on showing that stubborn Christmas time 500mb high that keeps things scorching like we've seen the last two years.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:26 am

Major Pacific buckling of the wave pattern. Southeast ridge will protect the east coast and southeast coast somewhat (maybe after Christmas the cold presses anyway) but interior from the high Rockies to the Mississippi and points between, look for a potential intense cold snap on the way for the holiday. A zone from TX northeastward to the Great Lakes should look for multiple threats of ice and snow.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby tolakram » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 am

Here comes the cold, New Years morning.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:54 pm

And the reprieve will be ... when?

I can't read these Rorshack tests.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:42 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:And the reprieve will be ... when?

I can't read these Rorshack tests.

That's just a prediction by the Euro model for this morning. Anything blue is below 32F, anything purple is below -6F. Look at the expanse that will be below 0 this morning. It's -1F here in Cincinnati, which the model accurately predicted 2 days in advance. You could go to a model page and scroll through the days but the further out you go the less accurate it gets. Local forecasts take multiple models into account and are usually much more accurate.

BUT, since you asked ... :)

I selected the current model output, Max Temp F over 6 hours.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/usa-east/max-temp-2m-6h/20180101-1800z.html

Using the 'Valid For' dropdown I tried to find when a warmup would occur, if any. Looks like we a decent warmup the 7th or 8th of January. The western KY area will reach a whopping 32F on the 3rd before cooling down again. Just one model though, and the euro seems to be a little less accurate in the winter.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby xironman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am

The end is coming, after 200 hours the ridge builds in for good and does not give up for the current runs. Here is the GFS ensemble at 300

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#14 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 am

:uarrow: Yes the runs are slowly moving to that for the second half of Jan. Would be mild zonal flow for eastern half US
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 am

All I know is that the local 7 day forecast is showing low to mid 40s with night time lows in the mid 30s starting Sunday 1/7. No idea if that will hold beyond there or fall back.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#16 Postby NotSparta » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 pm

xironman wrote:The end is coming, after 200 hours the ridge builds in for good and does not give up for the current runs. Here is the GFS ensemble at 300

I hope that verifies, persistent bitter cold sucks
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Digital-TC-Chaser

#17 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm

mean looking storm this one hurricane strength blizzards along the coast.

0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:51 am

NotSparta wrote:
xironman wrote:The end is coming, after 200 hours the ridge builds in for good and does not give up for the current runs. Here is the GFS ensemble at 300

The Texans are hinting at another outbreak, but I can't figure out when or where.
1 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

The Texans are hinting at another outbreak, but I can't figure out when or where.

I think most of us are thinking the cold will return by late Jan into Feb and it will likely be focused on the Rockies with the PNA resetting to close to neutral. Before then we will see a couple weeks of ++EPO flooding most of the US with warmth and bringing moisture to the West.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#20 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Nothing bitter cold at this time but potential for a short lived cold snap late next week then moderates for the whole country.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”