Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#3841 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:51 am

Light dusting out this way.
0 likes   
#neversummer

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3842 Postby hriverajr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:51 am

At this point none of the models indicate any major winter weather events for Texas. Yes its' going to be fairly cold. Models have not deviated much from these solutions over the past 24 hours. Things can of course change. And btw I wish it was different.
0 likes   
Anything I post is my personal opinion and should not used for any type of planning or lifesaving reasons. Please refer to National Weather Service forecasts.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3843 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am

Picture from Tom Bradshaw, the MIC at NWS FWD. Just a reminder, the fine folks over at FWD are still working without getting paid and doing a great job. If you can, be sure to let them know how much the public appreciates the work the are doing.

7 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3844 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

hriverajr wrote:At this point none of the models indicate any major winter weather events for Texas. Yes its' going to be fairly cold. Models have not deviated much from these solutions over the past 24 hours. Things can of course change. And btw I wish it was different.

If there is any solace, so far this winter including the storm now, the models in particular the GFS/FV3 have a clear bias of too much positive tilt ejection that eventually corrects 100 hours in. Nearly every storm has tried to come out neutral-neg tilt.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3845 Postby hriverajr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am

Ntxw wrote:
hriverajr wrote:At this point none of the models indicate any major winter weather events for Texas. Yes its' going to be fairly cold. Models have not deviated much from these solutions over the past 24 hours. Things can of course change. And btw I wish it was different.

If there is any solace, so far this winter including the storm now, the models in particular the GFS/FV3 have a clear bias of too much positive tilt ejection that eventually corrects 100 hours in. Nearly every storm has tried to come out neutral-neg tilt.

If anyone has a better chance in this pattern it would be north central Texas I would think.
0 likes   

WeatherP1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3846 Postby WeatherP1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:02 am

Ntxw wrote:
CaptinCrunch wrote:I dont think anything fell south of north 121, 635 area. Didn't even get drop of rain here in southern Tarrant.

This was a bust precip wise and models and most forecast had 60-70% chance across most of north Texas.

There were many posters who did a good job of giving us ground truth. Far northeast Tarrant county, northern third of Dallas county, and all of Denton, Collin county experienced about 20-30 mins of moderate snowfall with wet flakes that transitioned to a flizzard. South of that area got little to nothing.
All in all was a novelty for those who saw.

The FW NWS forecast was spot on for this event. I went back 3 days and never found precip chances higher than 50-60% for the 35 corridor. Their forecast update at 7:30pm yesterday was spot on for last nights events. Scattered showers with higher chance of storms east. Wrap around flurries for the north burbs and points north 2am-7am.
I am just not seeing a forecast bust. Good job NWS.
4 likes   
The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely those of an amateur. For an official forecast I recommend your local branch of the NWS.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3847 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

hriverajr wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

If anyone has a better chance in this pattern it would be north central Texas I would think.

North and particularly northeast and East Texas would be sitting well for snow showers in NW flow disturbances if there truly is a cold dome centered over the lakes. It would be hard for an amped up system, but maybe nickel and dime away? Haven't had those in awhile.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3848 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 am

Warm air advection has won out here today. Even our potential deform band might have mixing issues. :x
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3849 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am

TheProfessor wrote:Warm air advection has won out here today. Even our potential deform band might have mixing issues. :x

Too bad you couldn’t get it from the frontside and the backside if you know what I mean :wink:
1 likes   

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#3850 Postby Quixotic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am

I was pleased to see the light dusting and still snowing here in Frisco this morning. My son whos six doesn’t remember snow. He was barely two in 2015 when we had that dumping in early March. He was so excited to see it snow.
4 likes   

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3851 Postby hriverajr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am

Hey at least I will get good solar production in this pattern. Portastorm, and those of us further south and west.. well not looking good at moment.
1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3852 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am

The Canadian completely nailed this storm up here. Everybody laughed at it...
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3853 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

Nothing of interest on the 12z GFS. The 00z Euro EPS does have a cluster of members that get snow into DFW with the system middle of next week.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#3854 Postby harp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:00 pm

TheProfessor wrote:The Canadian completely nailed this storm up here. Everybody laughed at it...

I never really laugh at the CMC. The two events we had last year here in south Louisiana were nailed by the CMC.
3 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3855 Postby Portastorm » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 pm

hriverajr wrote:Hey at least I will get good solar production in this pattern. Portastorm, and those of us further south and west.. well not looking good at moment.

Indeed, sir. All the moisture will be east of us. Plenty of ol’ Sol. Not too much deep cold.

At this point I’m trying to fuel my hopes under the “The experts are saying the models are struggling beyond a few days with this pattern ... so if they’re not showing winter promise for me, maybe it’s because they’re wrong.” LOL. Pathetic, I realize. :lol:
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3856 Postby hriverajr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Portastorm wrote:
hriverajr wrote:Hey at least I will get good solar production in this pattern. Portastorm, and those of us further south and west.. well not looking good at moment.

Indeed, sir. All the moisture will be east of us. Plenty of ol’ Sol. Not too much deep cold.

At this point I’m trying to fuel my hopes under the “The experts are saying the models are struggling beyond a few days with this pattern ... so if they’re not showing winter promise for me, maybe it’s because they’re wrong.” LOL. Pathetic, I realize. :lol:

LOL..... I am back to teaching on Tuesday so I won't have to be disappointed .. .or at least think about such. Woe is us.. as the models don't seem to be struggling too much now. If it still shows the same tomorrow morning.. well hope is lost for the next two weeks.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3857 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Models are already backing off the major cold blast :lol:
2 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3858 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Ntxw wrote:
hriverajr wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

North and particularly northeast and East Texas would be sitting well for snow showers in NW flow disturbances if there truly is a cold dome centered over the lakes. It would be hard for an amped up system, but maybe nickel and dime away? Haven't had those in awhile.

Agreed, I have always thought this would be a pattern that would drop semi regular snow a half inch to vouple inch snows. Maybe a big storm as the pattern retrogrades towards mid Feb. Right now the West Coast ridge is strong enough to not allow much of anuthing underneath it. Kinks will flow up and over the ridge though so when they find moisture we will be in luck with solid cold in place. Look for storms coming out of the north vs southwest where most of our winter storms come from.
2 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#3859 Postby Cerlin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm

I’m still not gonna rule out snow for Wednesday yet. Gotta get into the higher res model’s wheelhouse to really know.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3860 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 pm

I wish there would be a blizzard to come out of the Rockies and pound eastern Wyoming, eastern Colorado, Nebraska, & Kansas with 1-2 feet of snow. That would really help our situation. One reason why the models are so big on the cold in the east is because there’s less modification cuz of the solid snowpack.
3 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”