Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#5941 Postby Haris » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:37 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm not sure what the NAM is smoking, but there won't likely be any snow on the ground in D-FW tomorrow. May be a chance of some cold rain with a slight chance of a sleet pellet. As I've been saying - this "winter weather event" is looking less significant than last week (a lot less significant, and last week's event wasn't very significant). May be time to pack it up, my oak tree is budding out and my azaleas will be flowering in a week or two. Nature is telling us that winter is over for NE and SE TX.

I always love the NE TX part :lol:
Last edited by Haris on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5942 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Ahh tomorrow night will be another battle of WAA vs cold air in place. History tells me the Nam and Euro are both wrong and I won't see 5 inches of snow even though the're a pretty good tandem together. I wish I lived east of the Apps sometimes where CAD occurs lol.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

losf1981
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5943 Postby losf1981 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:24 pm

just got a winter weather advisory notice on my phone...... :roll:
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5944 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Temps are running 4-5F cooler at DFW than what models had for this afternoon. The 19z HRRR had DFW at 47F right now and it is actually 42F.
3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5945 Postby DFWLady » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey everyone, quick question! I've been watching the models because of all the rain tomorrow (yay for cold rain again) Why does the NAM and FV3/GFS have DFW with snow? I know its nothing to get excited over unless we have a temp bust, but just curious if anyone could explain it to me! Thank you in advance!
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#5946 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:12 pm

The Post Oaks in the greenspace on the other side of my backyard fence have green buds on them. Don't usually see those out that early. The Cedar Elm in my backyard hasn't put out buds yet. The Cedar Elm is usually one of the last species to leaf out, at least in my yard and adjoining yards/properties. The very last things to leaf out on my property are the Crepe Myrtles. Those are nowhere near showing green yet. Once the CM's green up, Winter is over. :wink:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5947 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Well I am back from Caddo Lake in east Texas and this may come as a shock, but the 12 inch swath of snow depicted last week...…….did not happen!!!! Not even a rain drop there, just cloudy and cold. What I did see were miles and miles of trees budding flowers and showing green leaves as far as the eye could see travelling down I-20. My allergies were out of control. I have been to Caddo many times over the Presidents Day holiday and have never seen so much early growth. Yellow pollen powder was starting to accumulate on cars and other objects. Way too early!!!! Winter started early with early freezes and early leaf loss. Payback from mother nature.
1 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5948 Postby Ralph's Weather » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Took a look at the model soundings for midday tomorrow for Tyler and Sleet is def on the table for tomorrow. I have not paid this event any attention but the WRF models show surface temps around 34/35 with a sharper cold nose at 950mb, GFS is fully above freezing with temps near 40 and NAM of course is in between with sleet rain mix with temps around 36/37.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5949 Postby wxman57 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Haris wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I'm not sure what the NAM is smoking, but there won't likely be any snow on the ground in D-FW tomorrow. May be a chance of some cold rain with a slight chance of a sleet pellet. As I've been saying - this "winter weather event" is looking less significant than last week (a lot less significant, and last week's event wasn't very significant). May be time to pack it up, my oak tree is budding out and my azaleas will be flowering in a week or two. Nature is telling us that winter is over for NE and SE TX.

Not sure what you mean about NE TX. By NE TX, I mean the NE quarter of the state, which includes the D-FW metroplex.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5950 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:Took a look at the model soundings for midday tomorrow for Tyler and Sleet is def on the table for tomorrow. I have not paid this event any attention but the WRF models show surface temps around 34/35 with a sharper cold nose at 950mb, GFS is fully above freezing with temps near 40 and NAM of course is in between with sleet rain mix with temps around 36/37.

The WRFs are all in lol

NMM

ARW

ARW2

3 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#5951 Postby Cerlin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:24 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:Took a look at the model soundings for midday tomorrow for Tyler and Sleet is def on the table for tomorrow. I have not paid this event any attention but the WRF models show surface temps around 34/35 with a sharper cold nose at 950mb, GFS is fully above freezing with temps near 40 and NAM of course is in between with sleet rain mix with temps around 36/37.

The WRFs are all in lol

NMM

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-nmm/2019021812/wrf-nmm_asnow_scus_48.png

ARW

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-arw/2019021812/wrf-arw_asnow_scus_48.png

ARW2

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-arw2/2019021812/wrf-arw2_asnow_scus_48.png

It’ll be a close event. I don’t know how those snowmaps work because there isn’t any frozen precipitation in the actual precip runs of those WRF models, but just 2 degrees could change that.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5952 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Cerlin wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

The WRFs are all in lol

NMM

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-nmm/2019021812/wrf-nmm_asnow_scus_48.png

ARW

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-arw/2019021812/wrf-arw_asnow_scus_48.png

ARW2

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/wrf-arw2/2019021812/wrf-arw2_asnow_scus_48.png

It’ll be a close event. I don’t know how those snowmaps work because there isn’t any frozen precipitation in the actual precip runs of those WRF models, but just 2 degrees could change that.

I don't see any surprises but who really knows at this point. Soundings show a large warm layer and then a subfreezing layer just above the surface but I'm not sure if it is thick enough to get us to sleet?
2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5953 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:43 pm

losf1981 wrote:just got a winter weather advisory notice on my phone...... :roll:

Possibly 0.10” of ice.
0 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5954 Postby wxman57 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Agree, based on projected soundings, you can't rule out a few sleet pellets from D-FW east to Tyler tomorrow morning. They would quickly melt with above-freezing surface temps.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5955 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:51 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Haris wrote:

Not sure what you mean about NE TX. By NE TX, I mean the NE quarter of the state, which includes the D-FW metroplex.

I’m violating the unwritten rule around here of not poking the Heat Miser. But my guess is that Haris might be poking fun at your continued insistence of putting DFW in NE Texas.

You may think that is true. But as we discussed a year or two ago, you’ll find few if any up here that agree with you.

Not the TV mets, the TV news anchors, the newspapers, etc. that describe DFW as North Central Texas.

Or the five campuses of North Central Texas Community College (including two in the heart of the DFW Metroplex). And neither do the 16 counties that comprise the North Central Texas Council of Governments (all of those counties in and around Dallas/Fort Worth).

And for that matter, neither does the Fort Worth office of the NWS. Here’s their description of SKYWARN classes they teach: “Every year, NWS Fort Worth conducts over 40 SKYWARN classes within our coverage area of 46 counties in North and Central Texas.”

But feel free to disagree. :D
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5956 Postby Ralph's Weather » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:52 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Haris wrote:

Haha. We all know your definition as wrong as it is in a regional geography sense.
Last edited by Ralph's Weather on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5957 Postby wxman57 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Haris wrote: I always love the NE TX part :lol:

Haha. We all know you're definition as wrong as it is in a regional geography sense.

I divide Texas into 4 quadrants, which puts DFW in NE TX. I just can't call it "north Texas", as that's the Panhandle. But if Houston to Beaumont and, say, up through Lufkin is SE TX, then what's north of SE TX? Right! NE TX, which includes D-FW. ;-)
2 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5958 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:59 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Haha. We all know you're definition as wrong as it is in a regional geography sense.

I divide Texas into 4 quadrants, which puts DFW in NE TX. I just can't call it "north Texas", as that's the Panhandle. But if Houston to Beaumont and, say, up through Lufkin is SE TX, then what's north of SE TX? Right! NE TX, which includes D-FW. ;-)

You may not be able to call it North Texas. But millions of others can. :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#5959 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:Haha. We all know you're definition as wrong as it is in a regional geography sense.

You may not be able to call it North Texas. But millions of others can. :)

He's just simplifying the state into four regions. Cut the man some slack! :D
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5960 Postby Brent » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm not sure what these models are smoking lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”