Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#21 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Hoping for a warm and dry winter. Such conditions can still happen even with an El Nino, as seen with the winter of 2015-2016.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:44 am

FunNestlé wrote:Hoping for a warm and dry winter. Such conditions can still happen even with an El Nino, as seen with the winter of 2015-2016.

You and wxman57 can get together and book a flight to the Caribbean for the Winter. I'm sure Storm2k would pitch in for your flights. Just as long as you take the heat with you!
7 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 pm

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Haris » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 pm

SoupBone wrote:
FunNestlé wrote:Hoping for a warm and dry winter. Such conditions can still happen even with an El Nino, as seen with the winter of 2015-2016.

You and wxman57 can get together and book a flight to the Caribbean for the Winter. I'm sure Storm2k would pitch in for your flights. Just as long as you take the heat with you!

I'll pay $100 of it LOL
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#25 Postby DFWLady » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:28 pm

I am most definitely ready for this non-stop triple digit heat to go and hopefully a cold snowy winter! Fingers crossed! :froze: Last few years have been such a dud in DFW, really hoping this winter is better!
2 likes   

DFWLady
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#26 Postby DFWLady » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Warm and dry winter? Isn't that called Summer? Actually in Texas its Summer, Spring and a lot of Fall! No way sir! Give me cold and snow!!!!
3 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#27 Postby FunNestlé » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:21 pm

DFWLady wrote:Warm and dry winter? Isn't that called Summer? Actually in Texas its Summer, Spring and a lot of Fall! No way sir! Give me cold and snow!!!!

Nah, I like my summers (Jun-Sept) cloudy and wet.
0 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#28 Postby FunNestlé » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm

SoupBone wrote:You and wxman57 can get together and book a flight to the Caribbean for the Winter. I'm sure Storm2k would pitch in for your flights. Just as long as you take the heat with you!

Haris wrote:I'll pay $100 of it LOL

Cool.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#29 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Haris wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

I'll pay $100 of it LOL

Should I set up a go-fund-me?
4 likes   

Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#30 Postby Snowflake7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:50 am

wxman57 wrote:
Haris wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

I'll pay $100 of it LOL

Should I set up a go-fund-me?

LOL Yes! I would like to actually have a winter this year! :cold:
0 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#31 Postby FunNestlé » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm not sure what more you cold-lovers could ask for. You all should be happy that Texas/Southern US even has a chance for seeing teen °F temperatures and snow: most other places around the world at the same latitude don't even see freezing weather at all except at high elevations.
0 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Cerlin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 pm

FunNestlé wrote:I'm not sure what more you cold-lovers could ask for. You all should be happy that Texas/Southern US even has a chance for seeing teen °F temperatures and snow: most other places around the world at the same latitude don't even see freezing weather at all except at high elevations.

Lots of us just want snow because we’re from the DFW area. All we ask for is non-record temperatures and a little bit of snow and that’s what we normally get.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Brent » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:06 am

Cerlin wrote:
FunNestlé wrote:I'm not sure what more you cold-lovers could ask for. You all should be happy that Texas/Southern US even has a chance for seeing teen °F temperatures and snow: most other places around the world at the same latitude don't even see freezing weather at all except at high elevations.

Lots of us just want snow because we’re from the DFW area. All we ask for is non-record temperatures and a little bit of snow and that’s what we normally get.

Exactly

and the last few years have been so terrible in DFW, I mean really, we watched everyone else get snow last year... :lol:

The 2 years before nothing happened anywhere
1 likes   
#neversummer

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Can we talk about how a modiki nino (cool 1+2) and a warm pool in the GOA could be the best winter scenario many of us could ask for? Unless i'm missing something.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#35 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:04 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Can we talk about how a modiki nino (cool 1+2) and a warm pool in the GOA could be the best winter scenario many of us could ask for? Unless i'm missing something.

The -QBO & solar minimum help by either lowering AO/NAO or raising PNA
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:11 pm

NotSparta wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Can we talk about how a modiki nino (cool 1+2) and a warm pool in the GOA could be the best winter scenario many of us could ask for? Unless i'm missing something.

The -QBO & solar minimum help by either lowering AO/NAO or raising PNA

Yeah, that too. Should be persistent blocking around Greenland. (Still curious how this occurs.)
1 likes   

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#37 Postby FunNestlé » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Cerlin wrote:Lots of us just want snow because we’re from the DFW area. All we ask for is non-record temperatures and a little bit of snow and that’s what we normally get.

Seville is an inland city in Spain at 37N, farther north than Dallas, yet hasn't even gone below 23F ever.

Like I said, cold lovers living in Texas should appreciate the fact that it even freezes in the first place, let alone having chances for snow. Because if it were any other continent, then you'd be seeing coconuts on Galveston.

Cold lovers should also know that the same wonky jet stream that is responsible for cold outbreaks is also the cause of dry Texas summers.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#38 Postby tolakram » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 am

FunNestlé wrote:
Cerlin wrote:Lots of us just want snow because we’re from the DFW area. All we ask for is non-record temperatures and a little bit of snow and that’s what we normally get.

Seville is an inland city in Spain at 37N, farther north than Dallas, yet hasn't even gone below 23F ever.

Like I said, cold lovers living in Texas should appreciate the fact that it even freezes in the first place, let alone having chances for snow. Because if it were any other continent, then you'd be seeing coconuts on Galveston.

Cold lovers should also know that the same wonky jet stream that is responsible for cold outbreaks is also the cause of dry Texas summers.

So what are you saying, they can't hope for some cold and snow? Cincinnati is just a little north of Seville's latitude and gets an average of 14 inches of snow yearly. Climate is much more than just latitude. I would say Seville is incredibly unlucky to live in that abnormal part of the world, and I would be just as right, or wrong, as saying the US climate is abnormal. I hear they have good barbers in Seville, maybe it's the climate.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby FunNestlé » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:49 am

tolakram wrote:So what are you saying, they can't hope for some cold and snow? Cincinnati is just a little north of Seville's latitude and gets an average of 14 inches of snow yearly. Climate is much more than just latitude. I would say Seville is incredibly unlucky to live in that abnormal part of the world, and I would be just as right, or wrong, as saying the US climate is abnormal. I hear they have good barbers in Seville, maybe it's the climate.

Yes, instead of lamenting about "missing real winters," cold lovers in Texas and the entire Eastern US should truly be counting their blessings that it even gets as cold as it does. They are growing mangoes and papayas in areas of Spain as far north as DC, while areas of the Eastern US even as far south as Northern Florida can barely grow commercial citrus.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#40 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:10 am

As a reminder to all, general discussion for the winter thread is not open. Unless you are posting information such as early forecasts, predicting indicators, or if you have a general question about the upcoming winter season that you would like an answer to. We are generally very loose with the winter thread given it is the bread and butter of the Texas-focused Threads but do keep in mind the note above.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”