Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#41 Postby Haris » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm

tolakram wrote:
FunNestlé wrote:
Cerlin wrote:Lots of us just want snow because we’re from the DFW area. All we ask for is non-record temperatures and a little bit of snow and that’s what we normally get.

Seville is an inland city in Spain at 37N, farther north than Dallas, yet hasn't even gone below 23F ever.

Like I said, cold lovers living in Texas should appreciate the fact that it even freezes in the first place, let alone having chances for snow. Because if it were any other continent, then you'd be seeing coconuts on Galveston.

Cold lovers should also know that the same wonky jet stream that is responsible for cold outbreaks is also the cause of dry Texas summers.

So what are you saying, they can't hope for some cold and snow? Cincinnati is just a little north of Seville's latitude and gets an average of 14 inches of snow yearly. Climate is much more than just latitude. I would say Seville is incredibly unlucky to live in that abnormal part of the world, and I would be just as right, or wrong, as saying the US climate is abnormal. I hear they have good barbers in Seville, maybe it's the climate.

I understand this thread really is not open yet but I want to quickly clear something out... Yes sometimes we get cold and snow and we are lucky to get something , it is better than many other places in the world. That said , there is absolutely nothing wrong with cold lovers wishing for snow or cold! Many ppl love snow and cold! Heck , folks in NY get sooo excited for winter storms during the winter! Ppl in the NE get soo emotional over snow and they get like 20" given but still! We all have different tastes and wishes and we all should respect that. Carry on. Will see yall in a few months.

Apologize NTXW . Discussion closed. ;)
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby SoupBone » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:58 am

Ntxw wrote:As a reminder to all, general discussion for the winter thread is not open. Unless you are posting information such as early forecasts, predicting indicators, or if you have a general question about the upcoming winter season that you would like an answer to. We are generally very loose with the winter thread given it is the bread and butter of the Texas-focused Threads but do keep in mind the note above.

Please don't take this as me being critical, but I've always enjoyed the discussions being less moderated in the Winter Threads, specifically here in the Texas one. Unless there's a threat of a snowstorm or some inclement Winter weather imminent, are general discussions not allowed? Just wanting to understand.

As for being on topic, this likely has nothing to do with anything other than it being anecdotal, but I live in a very heavy treelined neighborhood, and the deciduous (non-evergreen) trees have already started dropping leaves. Seems a bit early though, right? It's not in massive amounts, but it's very noticeable.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#43 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:06 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Ntxw wrote:As a reminder to all, general discussion for the winter thread is not open. Unless you are posting information such as early forecasts, predicting indicators, or if you have a general question about the upcoming winter season that you would like an answer to. We are generally very loose with the winter thread given it is the bread and butter of the Texas-focused Threads but do keep in mind the note above.

Please don't take this as me being critical, but I've always enjoyed the discussions being less moderated in the Winter Threads, specifically here in the Texas one. Unless there's a threat of a snowstorm or some inclement Winter weather imminent, are general discussions not allowed? Just wanting to understand.

As for being on topic, this likely has nothing to do with anything other than it being anecdotal, but I live in a very heavy treelined neighborhood, and the deciduous (non-evergreen) trees have already started dropping leaves. Seems a bit early though, right? It's not in massive amounts, but it's very noticeable.

Oh heavens no! All discussion is encouraged, but there are other Texas threads open for general discussion in the appropriate seasons. Currently, activity and general discussions is over in the Texas Summer Thread given the season and as DJF approaches this thread will be open for general discussion during that time. We'd like to keep things consistent, it wouldn't make sense to discuss the same topic in two seasonal threads for people to go back and forth.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Is modiki nino and low solar a complete coincidence or is there evidence in a link? 2009-10 was low solar as well, correct?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#45 Postby Portastorm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:34 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Is modiki nino and low solar a complete coincidence or is there evidence in a link? 2009-10 was low solar as well, correct?

I know one thing I've seen in the past and that is Modoki Nino's usually come 3-4 years after solar maximums, so there is that connection. Saw an abstract online which researched the connection between the two. Admittedly it does seem like things are lining up for an exciting winter season. But none of these atmospheric markers are taking into account the "Wxman57 Effect." He did promise a blowtorch winter. So there's that. :wink:
5 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Portastorm wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Is modiki nino and low solar a complete coincidence or is there evidence in a link? 2009-10 was low solar as well, correct?

I know one thing I've seen in the past and that is Modoki Nino's usually come 3-4 years after solar maximums, so there is that connection. Saw an abstract online which researched the connection between the two. Admittedly it does seem like things are lining up for an exciting winter season. But none of these atmospheric markers are taking into account the "Wxman57 Effect." He did promise a blowtorch winter. So there's that. :wink:

Interesting. I'll look for it. I can't fathom why this would occur. 11 year solar sunspot cycles right? Wxman57 effect does worry me, but hopefully the odds aren't with him this winter. He nailed last winter, lets hope he isn't so right this winter!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#47 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:26 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Interesting. I'll look for it. I can't fathom why this would occur. 11 year solar sunspot cycles right? Wxman57 effect does worry me, but hopefully the odds aren't with him this winter. He nailed last winter, lets hope he isn't so right this winter!

Generally speaking yes but this minimum is deeper than the last, which was lowest of the century. Territory we have not seen in a Century or more. It is getting a faster start and the past 2 cycles have been lower then previous. It will be an interesting thing to follow as the winter progresses and what it may mean via blocking and/or ENSO.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#48 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

I think this is a link to the abstract I was talking about:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316863370_Modulations_of_solar_activity_on_El_Nino_Modoki_and_possible_mechanisms
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby Tammie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Our DFW met is making the correlation of sun spots and snow for 2018/2019. Interesting read https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbsloc ... inter/amp/
1 likes   
Tammie - Sherman TX

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Tammie wrote:Our DFW met is making the correlation of sun spots and snow for 2018/2019. Interesting read https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbsloc ... inter/amp/

I think the southern plains will have an exciting winter. Hopefully we enjoy some of that too. Earliest recorded snowfall for Houston was in 2009
4 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Tammie wrote:Our DFW met is making the correlation of sun spots and snow for 2018/2019. Interesting read https://www.google.com/amp/s/dfw.cbsloc ... inter/amp/

I think the southern plains will have an exciting winter. Hopefully we enjoy some of that too. Earliest recorded snowfall for Houston was in 2009

I'm ready. Let's do this already! :lol:
4 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#52 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:12 am

Anybody see Joe Bastardi’s 2018-19 Winter Outlook video on Weatherbell? Looks very promising if you like winter weather and live in Texas!!!!!!

Maybe something like February 2010 in DFW?!? :froze:

:D
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Nice

4 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

So when's out first cool/cold front? October 1st! :lol:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 pm

SoupBone wrote:So when's out first cool/cold front? October 1st! :lol:

what is a real cold front exactly? I mean technically we just had one on Monday. :wink:

For widespread 50s in Dallas I hope before October
1 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 am

3 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#57 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:55 am

None of you will have to worry about any snow in Texas this winter. I'm in control of the thermostat now! :firedevil:
2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:59 am

wxman57 wrote:None of you will have to worry about any snow in Texas this winter. I'm in control of the thermostat now! :firedevil:

Sorry to break it to you this way, but team #neversummer powers have taken over winter control. Enjoy the last bit of your seasonal reign. :wink:
3 likes   
#neversummer

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby SoupBone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am

[quote="Yukon Cornelius"][/quote]

Stinging Cold! All I can say is...Image
1 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 pm

wxman57 wrote:None of you will have to worry about any snow in Texas this winter. I'm in control of the thermostat now! :firedevil:

Yeah, we've over powered you. Be prepared for a rough winter wxman.
4 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Return to “Winter Weather”