Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#3941 Postby MississippiWx » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 am

bubba hotep wrote:Interesting, both the 00z GEFS and Euro EPS move the MJO into P6 but the NAM pattern they produce doesn't match up with what you would expect during +ENSO. A bit odd, esp. with +AAM. Maybe the ensembles will correct towards lower heights in the SW as we move forward in time or maybe the +ENSO low frequency state isn't strong enough to fore onto the large scale pattern? Ultimately, the SSW resulting in a lobe of the TPV being anchored over SE Canada might be crushing the pattern and not allowing for a typical +ENSO progression driven by tropical forcing.

I believe the MJO is in a lower frequency, but the main thing is the effects of the SSW event. I believe it has thrown a wrench into long range forecasting as the top-down warming occurs. The Arctic is going to be blocked for a while creating plenty of winter weather opportunities below.

By the way, the flizzard you guys had yesterday morning made it to us here in South Mississippi late last night. It was great to see snow again!
6 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#3942 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 am

hriverajr wrote:I must say I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Models look a bit better on cold air in extended (yes I know) we shall see.

Htiverajr, I heard the pna may go negative in the future. Will that be good or bad for us? Just curious
0 likes   

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3943 Postby hriverajr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:33 am

hamburgerman7070 wrote:
hriverajr wrote:I must say I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Models look a bit better on cold air in extended (yes I know) we shall see.

Htiverajr, I heard the pna may go negative in the future. Will that be good or bad for us? Just curious

I was never a long range forecaster so I will defer to the experts on here.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3944 Postby orangeblood » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am

hriverajr wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
You could see that the air now over Texas came from the Central Plains. Nothing crossed the Canadian Border with this front. It doesn't take an Arctic front to drop temps into the 20s (or a light freeze in Houston). No new cold air with Wednesday's system, either. Models DO indicate new Canadian air with Friday's front, however (not Arctic, though).

With all due respect, this was no doubt an Arctic Front, you can track it origins over the past week....here is the snapshot from 3 days ago, this HP came straight down from the Arctic circle into Canada and through the Dakotas down into Texas. It wasn't your typically trajectory through Montana though.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2019011706/gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_1.png

HP may have come from their.. Higher pressures translated south. Does not mean the air really did. I'm not sure, but you would have to do an analysis on the the actual movement of those "air parcels" (brain not working well haha)

Definitely disagree with wxman57 on this one...the surface parcels originate from the Arctic and you can clearly see them pulled down by the strong low pressure that moved across yesterday. Just because the magnitude isn't as great or the front doesn't come through Montana as you typically see doesn't mean its not an Arctic Front!

1 likes   

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3945 Postby hriverajr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:58 am

orangeblood wrote:
hriverajr wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
With all due respect, this was no doubt an Arctic Front, you can track it origins over the past week....here is the snapshot from 3 days ago, this HP came straight down from the Arctic circle into Canada and through the Dakotas down into Texas. It wasn't your typically trajectory through Montana though.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2019011706/gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_1.png

HP may have come from their.. Higher pressures translated south. Does not mean the air really did. I'm not sure, but you would have to do an analysis on the the actual movement of those "air parcels" (brain not working well haha)

Definitely disagree with wxman57 on this one...the surface parcels originate from the Arctic and you can clearly see them pulled down by the strong low pressure that moved across yesterday. Just because the magnitude isn't as great or the front doesn't come through Montana as you typically see doesn't mean its not an Arctic Front!

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2019011918/gfs-ens_T2ma_us_1.png

Those are anomalies
"cP air modifies rapidly as it moves to the South. The dewpoints remain low but the temperature of this airmass increases when moving South" As some were complaining why this arctic front wasn't so cold farther south. No offense, but it was not arctic air anymore... even if it was at one time. and I don't think it was. Arctic air has very low dewpoints as well. I saw none of that.
0 likes   
Anything I post is my personal opinion and should not used for any type of planning or lifesaving reasons. Please refer to National Weather Service forecasts.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3946 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 am

The models are beginning to look a lot more interesting imo. It definitely looks like the PNA might go negative in the LR. Might be able to cash in if it does so on it’s transition to negative while it’s around neutral.
2 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#3947 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:14 pm

I was going to run a HYSPLIT to find out once and for all where today's air came from, but was thwarted. :wall:

4 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3948 Postby hriverajr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm

That would help.. but oh well.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3949 Postby orangeblood » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:28 pm

hriverajr wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
hriverajr wrote:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2019011918/gfs-ens_T2ma_us_1.png

Those are anomalies
"cP air modifies rapidly as it moves to the South. The dewpoints remain low but the temperature of this airmass increases when moving South" As some were complaining why this arctic front wasn't so cold farther south. No offense, but it was not arctic air anymore... even if it was at one time. and I don't think it was. Arctic air has very low dewpoints as well. I saw none of that.

Yes, I realize all Arctic Fronts are modified in some form or fashion but the FW NWS office continually repeated this was an Arctic Front and that makes sense...dewpoints were upper teens in my area and single digits in Northern Oklahoma. The reasoning that it wasn't an Arctic Front because it didn't come through Montana doesn't add up to me - the sub-zero dewpoints came through the Dakotas down into the southern plains and following the models over the past week, you can clearly see it originated from the Arctic Circle!! I know you all in Southern Texas didn't feel the brunt of this but folks in DFW can attest, this one packed a punch typical of Arctic Fronts
1 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3950 Postby dhweather » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Brent wrote:the end of the Euro looks like the arctic is headed straight for us with a good snow dropping south from Oklahoma

Unfortunately its the day 10 Euro :lol:

If "king" Euro had been right last weekend (merely 7 days), we'd be in the middle of 60+ hours sub-freezing temps right now.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3951 Postby tolakram » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm

They make it sound like an accident. :lol:

You Texans and your desires for cold air.

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (KCVG)
Mostly Cloudy
12°F
-11°C

Humidity 67%
Wind Speed NW 13 mph
Barometer 30.18 in (1023.2 mb)
Dewpoint 3°F (-16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill -3°F (-19°C)
Last update 20 Jan 11:52 am EST

Nice 5 inches of snow last night, looks nice, but too cold to go out.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3952 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:34 pm

dhweather wrote:
Brent wrote:the end of the Euro looks like the arctic is headed straight for us with a good snow dropping south from Oklahoma

Unfortunately its the day 10 Euro :lol:

If "king" Euro had been right last weekend (merely 7 days), we'd be in the middle of 60+ hours sub-freezing temps right now.

I usually defer to King Euro for all of my forecast needs ... but I will stand beside our resident skeptic, dhweather, in agreeing that beyond 5 days, especially lately, the Euro's reliability sharply declines.
4 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3953 Postby dhweather » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:37 pm

hriverajr wrote:Those are anomalies

True arctic air is so brutally dry, you're not going to get any precip. Those nuclear freezes in the 80's brought true arctic air south, I vividly remember how perfectly blue the skies were, not a hint of any cloud, and how bad the static electricity was, got popped touching any metal. It seemed to take two weeks to get humidity back after those. :cold:
2 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3954 Postby orangeblood » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The models are beginning to look a lot more interesting imo. It definitely looks like the PNA might go negative in the LR. Might be able to cash in if it does so on it’s transition to negative while it’s around neutral.

Yes, they do....the deep trough east of Hawaii is beginning the retrograde west closer to Hawaii, this should allow systems to dig further SW (-PNA). If this can hold, it could increase our chances of more moisture coinciding with the cold air across the Conus!! Really nice looking ensemble mean map for a southern plains winter storm! towards the end of the month!

Last edited by orangeblood on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#3955 Postby Cerlin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Wow, the 12z FV3 GFS just DROPS the hammer with cold air on the 30th of January. It just drops that arctic airmass straight to Houston. Too bad it’s too far out right now. Also some good trends for DFW snow on both Wednesday (looks to be shifting just slightly west) and the 27th (some snow with some rain in DFW.)
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3956 Postby dhweather » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 pm

FWD AFD

Deep upper troughing across the eastern CONUS still looks likely
late this workweek and into the weekend, leaving North and Central
Texas beneath a northwest flow regime. A southeast-moving
disturbance will send a dry cold front through the area Thursday
night. A subtle warm-up ahead of the front can be expected with
Thursday high temperatures reaching the 50s. Friday highs should
remain mainly in the 40s behind the front. Yet another shot of
cold air looks to arrive on Saturday, which may be able to tap
into enough moisture to squeeze out a few showers as the front
pushes through. Otherwise, below normal temperatures and mainly
dry weather still looks like the general plan as we move through
the final week of the month.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3957 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Cerlin wrote:Wow, the 12z FV3 GFS just DROPS the hammer with cold air on the 30th of January. It just drops that arctic airmass straight to Houston. Too bad it’s too far out right now. Also some good trends for DFW snow on both Wednesday (looks to be shifting just slightly west) and the 27th (some snow with some rain in DFW.)

The 12z FV3 is looking nice. Started trending better yesterday imo. Hopefully the 12z Euro will have a similar setup that it had at 0z. Looking for consistency.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3958 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 pm

orangeblood wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:The models are beginning to look a lot more interesting imo. It definitely looks like the PNA might go negative in the LR. Might be able to cash in if it does so on it’s transition to negative while it’s around neutral.

Yes, they do....the deep trough east of Hawaii is beginning the retrograde west closer to Hawaii, this should allow systems to dig further SW (-PNA). If this can hold, it could increase our chances of more moisture coinciding with the cold air across the Conus!! Really nice looking ensemble mean map for a southern plains winter storm! towards the end of the month!

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2019012012/gfs-ens_z500a_namer_42.png

We need the Pacific jet to relax and shift equatorward. That would relax the PNA pattern and potentially assist in maintaining a -NAO pattern.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#3959 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Back to back runs of the Euro now are looking good!

This has some potential.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3960 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Interesting, both the 00z GEFS and Euro EPS move the MJO into P6 but the NAM pattern they produce doesn't match up with what you would expect during +ENSO. A bit odd, esp. with +AAM. Maybe the ensembles will correct towards lower heights in the SW as we move forward in time or maybe the +ENSO low frequency state isn't strong enough to fore onto the large scale pattern? Ultimately, the SSW resulting in a lobe of the TPV being anchored over SE Canada might be crushing the pattern and not allowing for a typical +ENSO progression driven by tropical forcing.

And the 12z Euro flips to a look that I would expect given the progression across the Pacific. It replaces higher heights in the SW with lower heights. Now to see if the EPS follows.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Return to “Winter Weather”