Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#1221 Postby Portastorm » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:42 am

dhweather wrote:I've been reminded this week what I HATE about this time of year - Juniper/Mountain Cedar. Sinuses went off the rail so I had to get a steroid shot yesterday.

We need to eridicate these freaking things, they are pure evil!

Since most of them are down in Hill Country, my dear friend Portastorm can start but cutting down all of them within a 100 mile radius of his home. :lol: :lol:

Alright buddy ... I'll get to work on it this weekend!

6 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1222 Postby gboudx » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 pm

dhweather wrote:I've been reminded this week what I HATE about this time of year - Juniper/Mountain Cedar. Sinuses went off the rail so I had to get a steroid shot yesterday.

We need to eridicate these freaking things, they are pure evil!

Since most of them are down in Hill Country, my dear friend Portastorm can start but cutting down all of them within a 100 mile radius of his home. :lol: :lol:

Allergy immunotherapy shots are your friend. On year 3 and my allergies have really calmed down.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1223 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't really foresee any arctic outbreaks, they generally don't occur in El Ninos. The Aleutian wave train tends to mix in Pacific air vs a La Nina-neutral base state with ridging there that tends to yield 1050HP+. We haven't seen many of those modeled this year. We'll still likely depend on blocking in the North Atlantic and some over NW North America with more thread the needle storms.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#1224 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 pm

CaptinCrunch wrote:Not much high wind, or rain with this system for southern Tarrant. Yall do know Winter doesn't start till December 21st? :lol: right....

As I said yesterday, we are below normal temp wise and above precip wise for December, we can't get be in a better setup, and our bulk of winter weather (90%) is during Jan-Feb.

Our setup might be good, but when "Below Normal" is 36-46 it still doesn't help much.
2 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1225 Postby JDawg512 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I've said this before but just to remind everyone. Blueberry Ash Juniper is a native species to the Texas Hill Country. It has been here since the Ice Age. Eradicating it would not only destroy the native environment but it would wipe out the food source and habitat for several species some of which like the Golden Cheeked Warbler are endangered. Trust me when I say I feel your pain about allergies because I'm dealing with it too even though according to my allergist, I'm not allergic to it. Tell that to my inflamed sinuses. But it's simply part of life and we deal with it. As an advocate for planting and educating about native species, I felt it was important to chime in at this juncture.

Now returning to weather:

Gonna have to go out and redo some of my Christmas light display since the wind messed it up. Good thing I decided to hold off putting up the blow up decorations.
4 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1226 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:45 pm

JDawg512 wrote:I've said this before but just to remind everyone. Blueberry Ash Juniper is a native species to the Texas Hill Country. It has been here since the Ice Age. Eradicating it would not only destroy the native environment but it would wipe out the food source and habitat for several species some of which like the Golden Cheeked Warbler are endangered. Trust me when I say I feel your pain about allergies because I'm dealing with it too even though according to my allergist, I'm not allergic to it. Tell that to my inflamed sinuses. But it's simply part of life and we deal with it. As an advocate for planting and educating about native species, I felt it was important to chime in at this juncture.

Gonna have to go out and redo some of my Christmas light display since the wind messed it up. Good thing I decided to hold off putting up the blow up decorations.

Here's a good resource.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/resul ... plant=juas

Though a fragrant, evergreen, and picturesque tree, Ashe Juniper pollen, like that of many junipers, is very irritating to people with cedar allergies, so where the tree occurs in large concentrations, as in central Texas, it often becomes hated and targeted for removal, with various, sometimes invented, rationalizations given for doing so. Ashe Juniper is native from southern Missouri south through Oklahoma and then down through central and west Texas to northern Chihuahua. It was abundant in central Texas when the earliest European explorers arrived, having existed in the region at least since the Pleistocene. It is thus an integral part of the native flora.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1227 Postby orangeblood » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Ntxw wrote:I don't really foresee any arctic outbreaks, they generally don't occur in El Ninos. The Aleutian wave train tends to mix in Pacific air vs a La Nina-neutral base state with ridging there that tends to yield 1050HP+. We haven't seen many of those modeled this year. We'll still likely depend on blocking in the North Atlantic and some over NW North America with more thread the needle storms.

Not so sure about that...if this Major Strat Warm event occurs as forecast, the AO is tanking potentially sending Arctic and Siberian air towards NA!!
1 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1228 Postby dhweather » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm

JDawg512 wrote:I've said this before but just to remind everyone. Blueberry Ash Juniper is a native species to the Texas Hill Country. It has been here since the Ice Age. Eradicating it would not only destroy the native environment but it would wipe out the food source and habitat for several species some of which like the Golden Cheeked Warbler are endangered. Trust me when I say I feel your pain about allergies because I'm dealing with it too even though according to my allergist, I'm not allergic to it. Tell that to my inflamed sinuses. But it's simply part of life and we deal with it. As an advocate for planting and educating about native species, I felt it was important to chime in at this juncture.

This is my issue - skins and blood tests say I am not allergic to it. Put me near one and BOOM. The North winds help, as they blow it AWAY from the metroplex.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1229 Postby dhweather » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:02 pm

gboudx wrote:Allergy immunotherapy shots are your friend. On year 3 and my allergies have really calmed down.

It's perplexing - skin and blood tests say I am not allergic to them. Get me near them, and you will witness nuclear strength allergy.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1230 Postby Brent » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 am

no signs of anything interesting through Christmas zzzz

January/February better deliver the long awaited fun
1 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1231 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am

Brent wrote:no signs of anything interesting through Christmas zzzz

Lol this thread is dead
1 likes   

BrokenGlass
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1232 Postby BrokenGlass » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:40 am

Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:no signs of anything interesting through Christmas zzzz

Lol this thread is dead

So is winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1233 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:29 am

:uarrow:

Meteorological winter is 15 days old. And astronomical/calendar winter hasn’t even begun yet. Oh, and this thread already has 62 pages of discussion.

But winter and this thread are already dead?

:lol:
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1234 Postby wxman57 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:40 am

It doesn't look like any really cold air across Texas through the end of the month. GFS doesn't even have any 30s in Houston through December. I'm afraid that may change in Jan/Feb...

Heading up to Woodstock, IL shortly (near Chicago). I put "I Got You Babe" on my phone as the alarm. It starts exactly where it did in Groundhog Day, as we're staying at the same bed & breakfast as in the movie. Forecast is for sunny and mid 40s today and Sunday. Warmest weather they've seen in many weeks. Temps fall significantly after I leave there for home Sunday afternoon.
5 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1235 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:39 am

To be fair, the 6z FV3 brings freezing temps and highs in the 30s/40s the last 3 days of December. The old GFS can’t make up its mind run to run in the extended range.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1236 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 am

The models have backed off on the retrograde across the NPAC and are no longer building higher height anomalies into WCAN/Alaska. That really limits the source of our cold air.

48 hrs ago (5 day avg)

00z

This is consistent with the models also stalling the MJO out in P4.

However, this could set up an active svr wx pattern the last week of the month.

Of course everyone remembers this day.

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1237 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi bubba. I have two things to ask . First, do you possibly know why the mjo is not forecasted to move very fast through the warm phases? The other thing is if this SSW event happens, how does that work withe mjo going through the warmer phases?
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1238 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:05 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:Hi bubba. I have two things to ask . First, do you possibly know why the mjo is not forecasted to move very fast through the warm phases? The other thing is if this SSW event happens, how does that work withe mjo going through the warmer phases?

The MJO "stall" could be artifact of the models and it's a known bias of the models to be too slow moving convection across the Maritime Continent. The current MJO has been on the faster side of what is typically expected, so a stall would certainly break the tendency over the past few months.

Tropical forcing (MJO) place a role in modulating the PSV and one of the ways is by driving heat flux and the models are currently seeing that.

Now beyond that, there is no guarantee of a SSW and the results are uncertain. Maybe some other posters that know more about SSW will chime in.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1239 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:16 pm

12z GEFS showing a strong subtropical connection to the wet pattern that it is advertising.

1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1240 Postby gatorcane » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 pm

FV3 GFS with wintry precip for Dallas in the fantasy range:

3 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”