Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#6441 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:37 pm

One last shot boys and girls so here is to the models busting big time again this weekend and early next week. Moisture will be available this weekend but more than likely it will be cold chasing it. You never know.
I am sure everyone is bored reading about my spring break plans but next week in St. Louis will quite cold and snowy just a few days before I arrive. Maybe I will see some melting snow mounds!!!! Yay. :x
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6442 Postby Brent » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Texas Snow wrote:Today we had a touch of freezing drizzle. Sigh.

This photo is 4 years ago today in what was surely the last real snow in DFW. The mother of all snowball fights after sledding. Oh how I miss the olden days.

[url]http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b460/Tailgate_Ag/5A6039DC-E8B9-4D5A-97A9-55A80F1A0216.jpg [/url]

March 4-5, 2015(definitely last time more than a dusting)... crazy to think it was so long ago. I had just moved to Dallas a few months earlier lol

I need to find some of my pictures from then, that was some of the heaviest snow I had seen even from my Alabama days

What was crazy to about that too, it was supposed to be mostly a sleet storm but changed over earlier than expected

Some day it will happen again :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6443 Postby Texas Snow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Brent wrote:

This photo is 4 years ago today in what was surely the last real snow in DFW. The mother of all snowball fights after sledding. Oh how I miss the olden days.

[url]http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b460/Tailgate_Ag/5A6039DC-E8B9-4D5A-97A9-55A80F1A0216.jpg [/url]

March 4-5, 2015(definitely last time more than a dusting)... crazy to think it was so long ago. I had just moved to Dallas a few months earlier lol

I need to find some of my pictures from then, that was some of the heaviest snow I had seen even from my Alabama days

What was crazy to about that too, it was supposed to be mostly a sleet storm but changed over earlier than expected

So we had 2 storms less than a week apart in 2015? Wow I forgot about that but I'm sure I'll have pictures popup next week to remind me. Again, I miss the olden days. :lol:

It will happen again. I remember crazy winter storms in these parts when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. Then it went away for a while and you start to wonder if its some big climate shift. Then my kids were born in the early to mid 2000's and sure enough winter returned and they have had a crazy snow lives up until the past few years (including the Foot Storm and Super Bowl week).

So fear not North Texans, our time shall come again.
2 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6444 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:58 pm

CaptinCrunch wrote:
Brent wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
The flaws with these models under this type situation is truly astounding...its a very serious issue considering the road treatment resources weren't put in place when they obviously should have (wasted tax dollars). I counted two dozen wrecks this morning just on my route to work, some serious, due to untreated bridges. More accountability needs to fall at the foot of the NWS office and modeling community because I'm not sure improvement is being made, it happens every single year like clockwork.

I can't really fault the NWS here though, I mean its a no win situation around here. Look at the WWA's they issued before and nothing happened

Look at all the times TXDOT treated the roads around here for 34 and rain...

none of the TV mets forecast it either because honestly every single model(not just the GFS) was way too warm this morning. Who could have seen this coming honestly? It could have just as easily been they issued another WWA in advance and it turned out to be nothing like many other setups we've had

I won't deny though that the models need seriously upgraded though... I mean how in 2019 can they be so wrong??

Actually this is were past experience should have been applied by the NWS. These setups always lean towards the models busting on temps. :cold:

Completely agree with this. At least FTW did not say what SHV did when they said past experience leads them to err warm.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6445 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Texas Snow wrote:
Brent wrote:

So we had 2 storms less than a week apart in 2015? Wow I forgot about that but I'm sure I'll have pictures popup next week to remind me. Again, I miss the olden days. :lol:

It will happen again. I remember crazy winter storms in these parts when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's. Then it went away for a while and you start to wonder if its some big climate shift. Then my kids were born in the early to mid 2000's and sure enough winter returned and they have had a crazy snow lives up until the past few years (including the Foot Storm and Super Bowl week).

Over a couple week period we had I think 4 frozen precip events. The snow never fully melted from shaded areas between the events either.
2 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6446 Postby Brent » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:
Texas Snow wrote:
Brent wrote:

Over a couple week period we had I think 4 frozen precip events. The snow never fully melted from shaded areas between the events either.

February 23, sleet

February 25, cold core, snow mostly missed Dallas, I remember going south of the metro to see snow and came back to Dallas and it was raining

February 27?, light snow in DFW around an inch if I recall

March 4-5 was the biggie though and the grand finale, widespread 3-5" in the metro, visibility briefly dropped close to zero if I recall, hasn't been anything remotely close since

what a crazy stretch that was, not much had happened the whole winter(other than some freak dusting/sleet pellets in mid November) :lol:
3 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6447 Postby Brent » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 pm

March 4-5 2015 in Dallas :double:

6 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6448 Postby Texas Snow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Whoo hoo I was in the Heavy Snow band!

Maybe somehow we get lucky with a temp bust on Sunday with the cold air arriving more quickly to mix with the precip and give us a nice surprIse.
1 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6449 Postby gboudx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Super Bowl week was the 1st and only time I ever experienced a frozen ground. Sleet and snow stayed in top for several days and the area was always shaded with no sun light. I tried to dig into it for some reason and the shovel wouldn’t budge. It was like concrete.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6450 Postby Brent » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:51 pm

gboudx wrote:Super Bowl week was the 1st and only time I ever experienced a frozen ground. Sleet and snow stayed in top for several days and the area was always shaded with no sun light. I tried to dig into it for some reason and the shovel wouldn’t budge. It was like concrete.

Maybe that's the secret to ending the streak... Dallas needs to host another Super Bowl :roflmao:
1 likes   
#neversummer

missygirl810
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6451 Postby missygirl810 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Brent wrote:
gboudx wrote:Super Bowl week was the 1st and only time I ever experienced a frozen ground. Sleet and snow stayed in top for several days and the area was always shaded with no sun light. I tried to dig into it for some reason and the shovel wouldn’t budge. It was like concrete.

Maybe that's the secret to ending the streak... Dallas needs to host another Super Bowl :roflmao:

This is where I tell myself... #missyuseurfilter
0 likes   

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6452 Postby Texas Snow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Brent wrote:

Or an NBA All Star Game

Posted Feb 11, 2010

Uncommon Dallas snow shouldn't affect NBA All-Star Weekend events; hope is all players get there

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning in effect for the Dallas/Fort Worth area until tonight at midnight, with an estimated snowfall of 4-6 inches.
2 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6453 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Texas Snow wrote:
Brent wrote:

Or an NBA All Star Game

Posted Feb 11, 2010

Uncommon Dallas snow shouldn't affect NBA All-Star Weekend events; hope is all players get there

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning in effect for the Dallas/Fort Worth area until tonight at midnight, with an estimated snowfall of 4-6 inches.

OT: I really wish I had gone to that All Star game, I would have loved it and Dirk was still in his prime along with Steve Nash, Kobe, and LeBron.
5 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6454 Postby Ntxw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:50 pm

GFS run last night (after front blew through already) predicted a sig warm up today at that by evening (around this time) we'd be near 50. DFW has fallen to 34F.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#6455 Postby Cerlin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Ntxw wrote:GFS run last night (after front blew through already) predicted a sig warm up today at that by evening (around this time) we'd be near 50. DFW has fallen to 34F.

Wow. An improved FV3 can’t get here soon enough.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

spencer817
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6456 Postby spencer817 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 pm

Cerlin wrote:
Ntxw wrote:GFS run last night (after front blew through already) predicted a sig warm up today at that by evening (around this time) we'd be near 50. DFW has fallen to 34F.

Well, considering they delayed upgrades because of its performance...yeah, doesn't matter much lol
3 likes   
I'm going to go to school for this stuff :P

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6457 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 pm

The temp bust is pretty embarrassing. This next cold blast will be much bigger and just as shallow, with zonal flow over top of us. I'd expect much of the same thing.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#6458 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Why is everyone still here? It's past 00Z March 1st, time to move to the Spring thread!!!
4 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6459 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:21 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Why is everyone still here? It's past 00Z March 1st, time to move to the Spring thread!!!

Not ready to let go of winter yet!!
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6460 Postby Brent » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Cerlin wrote:

trust me it ain't much better :lol:
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”