Texas Winter 2019-2020

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3041 Postby Cerlin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Each year I get my hopes up that “this” winter is the one we’ll finally get something because we’re overdue. I’ll be off to college next year, hopefully my new location is more winter friendly.
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3042 Postby TropicalTundra » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:24 pm

These 80F temperatures remind me when I was surfing the waves in Galveston :( next time I will be back at the beach is in July :layout:
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3043 Postby Brent » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Quixotic wrote:Hideous. Dreadful. Maybe this is the new normal.

I know people will post that it isn't but each year that goes by it makes you wonder more and more
4 likes   
#neversummer

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3044 Postby dhweather » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Brent wrote:Delkus just had a mix south of Dallas and rain for the city and north snow to the west at 10pm Wednesday :spam:

https://i.ibb.co/0QsTHsc/IMG-20200213-181936944.jpg

How's this working out for you, Pete ?
1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3045 Postby Brent » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:53 pm

dhweather wrote:
Brent wrote:Delkus just had a mix south of Dallas and rain for the city and north snow to the west at 10pm Wednesday :spam:

https://i.ibb.co/0QsTHsc/IMG-20200213-181936944.jpg

How's this working out for you, Pete ?

Lol to think there won't even a mix remotely close now :spam:
1 likes   
#neversummer

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3046 Postby EnnisTx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:20 pm

I’ve been sick for four days and just poked my head outside today to find leaves growing on the trees.... So long Winter.
2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3047 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

I’ll hold on longer. We could still have cold weather and possible winter weather going into Spring up this way. It’s definitely not unheard of.
0 likes   
#neversummer

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3048 Postby jasons2k » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 pm

From Jeff Lindner:

Similar pattern in place this week as with last week.

First part of the week will feature warm and humid conditions with coastal sea fog while the second half of the week will be colder and wetter.

Onshore flow has returned a warm and moist air mass across the region with surface dewpoints rising into the mid and upper 60’s over the area. These warm dewpoints over near 60 degree water temperatures is resulting in ¼ to ½ mile visibilities in sea fog along the entire upper TX coast this afternoon. Sea fog will begin to move inland around sunset and could extend inland to near I-10 by sunrise Tuesday. A strong cold front is currently moving through OK and will arrive into SE TX late Tuesday and push off the coast early Wednesday. A few showers and thunderstorms will be possible along and ahead of the front Tuesday afternoon and night over the region, but not expecting much with the main core of jet dynamics well to our NE. Front early Wednesday will clear the sea fog threat for a few days.

Shallow yet cold air mass will rapidly entrench over the area Wednesday with high temperatures holding in the 40’s and 50’s under gusty north winds. Upper level trough over the SW US will keep a continued SW flow aloft above the surface cold dome resulting in clouds, drizzle and light rain. Better rain chances enter the forecast, especially north of I-10, Wednesday afternoon and night as strong lift comes to bear along the 850mb frontal slope. Expect widespread showers and some thunderstorms especially in the College Station to Livingston region with lesser amounts of coverage toward the south. Rainfall accumulations of .50 to 2.0 inches will be possible with the higher amounts along and N of HWY 105. Will need to watch for sustained bands of heavier rainfall near the 850mb boundary Wednesday evening as such bands could generate a quick 1-2 inches of rainfall. This is the same area that saw the greater rainfall amounts last week and this incoming rain will fall near the peak of downstream moving floodwaves generated last week on the Trinity and Brazos Rivers.

A cool and dry air mass will advect into the region Thursday into Friday with seasonal lows in the 40’s and highs in the upper 50’s to near 60. Southerly flow begins to return to the area as early as Saturday as another system approaches from the WSW and a chance of showers looks to be back in the forecast by Sunday. Additionally, sea fog will likely be back by late in the weekend along the coast.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
9900 Northwest Freeway | Houston, Texas 77092
713-684-4000 (main) | 713-684-4165 (direct) | 281-924-2091 (cell)
jeff.lindner@hcfcd.org | Twitter: @jefflindner1
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3049 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Ok so serious question. Think I am good to go ahead and treat for weeds then scalp sometime between now and the end of the month? I have Bermuda and like to scalp low and bag for the first mow of the season.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

TXdaddy217
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3050 Postby TXdaddy217 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Not even anything worthwhile here around Abilene. Dreadful. :(
1 likes   
I am not a meteorologist. Anything posted by me should not be taken as an official forecast. Get your information from respected sources such as NWS and NOAA. I get my weather information the same way Hank Hill does ..... I look out the window and say ... "YUP".

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3051 Postby jasons2k » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:Ok so serious question. Think I am good to go ahead and treat for weeds then scalp sometime between now and the end of the month? I have Bermuda and like to scalp low and bag for the first mow of the season.

Do your research before scalping your lawn. It’s regarded by most horticulturalists as a myth. Scalping your lawn is a detriment to your lawn’s health, it lowers the lawn canopy, and it actually encourages the growth of weeds.

Your best defense against weeds is a healthy lawn, and mowing your grass on a high setting. The combination of healthy grass consuming more water and a thicker canopy or thatch provides more shade on the ground, making it tougher for weeds to germinate (kinda like mulch in flower beds).

Based on the research and everything I have read from reputable gardeners and horticulturists, scalping should be avoided.

Caveat: Bermuda is an exception. There is some debate as to whether or not it is beneficial for Bermuda grass because it does not like thatch as much as most other grasses. While it’s true that scalping can give a “kick start” to Bermuda grass, the tradeoff is that you could also simultaneously create conditions to grow weeds.

Scalping however is definitely not recommended for St. Augustine. It needs some thatch and thickness to retain moisture and stay healthy.
1 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3052 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:22 am

jasons2k wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:Ok so serious question. Think I am good to go ahead and treat for weeds then scalp sometime between now and the end of the month? I have Bermuda and like to scalp low and bag for the first mow of the season.

Do your research before scalping your lawn. It’s regarded by most horticulturalists as a myth. Scalping your lawn is a detriment to your lawn’s health, it lowers the lawn canopy, and it actually encourages the growth of weeds.

Your best defense against weeds is a healthy lawn, and mowing your grass on a high setting. The combination of healthy grass consuming more water and a thicker canopy or thatch provides more shade on the ground, making it tougher for weeds to germinate (kinda like mulch in flower beds).

Based on the research and everything I have read from reputable gardeners and horticulturists, scalping should be avoided.

Caveat: Bermuda is an exception. There is some debate as to whether or not it is beneficial for Bermuda grass because it does not like thatch as much as most other grasses. While it’s true that scalping can give a “kick start” to Bermuda grass, the tradeoff is that you could also simultaneously create conditions to grow weeds.

Scalping however is definitely not recommended for St. Augustine. It needs some thatch and thickness to retain moisture and stay healthy.

I've scalped every year and have one of the thickest green yards on the block. This is the first year our HOA will have yard of the month. Just trying to time it out so I make sure I don't go to early. Year 5, so we shall see. I can tell a difference between my yard and my neighbor's. He does not and it's not nearly as thick and greens up later on. Thanks for the response. I might give it a go last weekend of the month. Just need to time out killing off the few weeds ahead of time in terms of temp and rain. After I scalp I lay down weed and feed then a nitrogen booster after the grass starts to green up.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3053 Postby dhweather » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:30 am

4 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3054 Postby jasons2k » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Another update from Jeff Lindner:

Another unseasonably warm day will transition to much cooler conditions tonight.

Warm and humid air mass remains in place over the region this morning with southerly flow continuing. A cold front over NW TX will move SE today and arrive into SE TX late this afternoon and evening. Could see a line of showers and maybe a thunderstorm develop along the boundary, especially east of I-45 after sunset. Much colder conditions will overtake the area by Wednesday morning as the boundary moves off the coast allowing temperatures to fall into the 40’s and 50’s for highs on Wednesday under gusty N winds.

Better rainfall chances will develop behind the surface front and focus along the 850mb front from College Station to Livingston Wednesday into Wednesday night. Some of the rainfall over this area could be heavy at times with expected storm totals of 1-2 inches with isolated amounts up to 3 inches…mainly north of HWY 105. South of HWY 105 rainfall amounts will average .50 to 1.5 inches with the lesser totals toward the coast and Matagorda Bay and the higher totals north of I-10. Rains will end from NW to SE on NW as a drier air mass finally moves into the region from the southern plains. With clouds, rain, and cold air advection in place Wednesday and Thursday temperatures will struggle to warm much at all and likely remain in the 40’s and 50’s both days.

Clearly skies late Thursday into Friday will allow a larger swing in temperatures with lows in the upper 30’s and highs near 60 on Friday. Southerly winds begin to return as early as midday Saturday and expect a quick return of moisture off the western Gulf of Mexico Saturday afternoon and evening. Think most of Saturday will be dry, but showers will enter the forecast by Saturday evening and continue into Sunday and possibly Monday ahead of the next frontal passage. Mid to late next week is looking cold as a strong cold front moves through the area about a week from today.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
9900 Northwest Freeway | Houston, Texas 77092
713-684-4000 (main) | 713-684-4165 (direct) | 281-924-2091 (cell)
jeff.lindner@hcfcd.org | Twitter: @jefflindner1
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3055 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Oh look more rain the only precip type Dallas sees anymore :spam:
1 likes   
#neversummer

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3056 Postby jasons2k » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:58 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
jasons2k wrote:

I've scalped every year and have one of the thickest green yards on the block. This is the first year our HOA will have yard of the month. Just trying to time it out so I make sure I don't go to early. Year 5, so we shall see. I can tell a difference between my yard and my neighbor's. He does not and it's not nearly as thick and greens up later on. Thanks for the response. I might give it a go last weekend of the month. Just need to time out killing off the few weeds ahead of time in terms of temp and rain. After I scalp I lay down weed and feed then a nitrogen booster after the grass starts to green up.

Yeah, Bermuda can be an exception to the scalping rule. However, they pretty much universally agree that Weed & Feed should be avoided at all costs. The herbicide in Weed & Feed can seep through the soil and also harm your trees and shrubs. It builds-up over time and seeps deep and out.

The best course is to use a pre-emergent herbicide and then spot treat only areas as necessary.

The fertilizer in Weed & Feed is way overrated anyway. Lots of junk fillers in it. Look for Nitro Phos instead.
2 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3057 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm

jasons2k wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:
jasons2k wrote:

Yeah, Bermuda can be an exception to the scalping rule. However, they pretty much universally agree that Weed & Feed should be avoided at all costs. The herbicide in Weed & Feed can seep through the soil and also harm your trees and shrubs. It builds-up over time and seeps deep and out.

The best course is to use a pre-emergent herbicide and then spot treat only areas as necessary.

The fertilizer in Weed & Feed is way overrated anyway. Lots of junk fillers in it. Look for Nitro Phos instead.

Yep. Dicamba is terrible for trees. Most people regard it as harmless since it’s in the majority of the over the counter herbicides and usually paired with 2-4D. In reality Dicama is a pretty potent chemical and can be very deadly around bushes, shrubs, trees and other ornamentals.
1 likes   
#neversummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3058 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
jasons2k wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

Yep. Dicamba is terrible for trees. Most people regard it as harmless since it’s in the majority of the over the counter herbicides and usually paired with 2-4D. In reality Dicama is a pretty potent chemical and can be very deadly around bushes, shrubs, trees and other ornamentals.

Noted, I'll check into those products. Always open to trying something out. Appreciate the responses.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#3059 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
jasons2k wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

Yeah, this reminded me of a question one of my old friends had about his mom's tree. She had a Mountain Laurel tree which was dying. I found that very odd, since they are native/adapted to the hill country and require little to no care. I asked a local Master Gardner about my friend's predicament. She asked me some questions from how old it was, how often watered, use any chemical fertilizers or weed and feed, or a neighbor nearby could have used it. It looked scorched, and the master gardener said that is usually from chemicals or watering issues, depending on the age.

My friend asked her those questions, and he found out that the yard company used weed and feed.

So weed and feed probably killed the Mountain Laurel, which is very hardy in all kinds of conditions.

I stay away from weed and feed, and cringe every time I see the bags at the big box stores. Another marketing ploy. If you do use it, use sparingly IMO.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3060 Postby hriverajr » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm

And this is what the winter thread has come to.. talking about lawns :(
10 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”