Texas Winter 2019-2020

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2416
Age: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am
Location: Lindale, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3101 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am

I had a nice frost this morning with temps in the upper 20s. Should be similar tomorrow morning. A nice sunny 50 degree day is refreshing.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

User avatar
Haris
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm
Location: ( Bee Cave) West Austin, Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3102 Postby Haris » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30 am

.6” from this event W of Austin. Underperformed. Supposed to get 1.5” -2” . Still a pretty wet month.

2.96” month to date

5.78” YTD. :wink:
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

User avatar
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 am
Location: Collin County Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3103 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Spring thread?
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Farmers Branch, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3104 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Spring thread?

Done. It is a week+ away so why not.
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1650
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:22 pm
Location: Texarkana

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3105 Postby aggiecutter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Another 1.5" of rain over the past couple days. That brings the yearly total in Texarkana to a little over 13.00".
2 likes   

User avatar
jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 7566
Age: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3106 Postby jasons2k » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 pm

Haris wrote:.6” from this event W of Austin. Underperformed. Supposed to get 1.5” -2” . Still a pretty wet month.

2.96” month to date

5.78” YTD. :wink:


I got .17”

Was supposed to get 1” - 1.5”. 2nd or 3rd bust in a row for SE Texas.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34698
Age: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3107 Postby Brent » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 am

Well as of now the below normal temperatures look to come with the precip shutting off :spam: :spam: :spam:

Not that anyone should be shocked
1 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
TropicalTundra
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 105
Age: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Location: Belton, Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3108 Postby TropicalTundra » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Wow. Not even a single post today. Very sad. It seems like it is time to move on to severe weather season now. :woo: :bd:
4 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34698
Age: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3109 Postby Brent » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Another year DFW can't even muster a half inch of snow :spam:
3 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:00 am
Location: Collin County Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3110 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Euro thinks we will start March off wet

Image
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

User avatar
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 3096
Age: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3111 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:06 pm



The Euro is not kind to the Mississippi River with heavy rain falling in the Mississippi river and Red river basins at the beginning of March. I was hoping we'd get a longer break from the rain, but if both the GFS and Euro are right(for my area.) A week might be the best I get lol.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Golfer7575
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:48 am

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3112 Postby Golfer7575 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Does anyone know why the ao/nao stayed positive this winter? I know the pdo turned negative this winter but I doubt that had anything to do with it. It seems that so many things went wrong this winter
1 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1317
Age: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Petrolia, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3113 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Heavy snow all day at the cabin today.
https://youtu.be/o_OP9P53yDA
6 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 28586
Age: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:31 pm
Location: Spring Branch area, Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3114 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 am

Looks like we may see our 2nd freeze off the season,
From Jeff Lindner for SE TX:

A strong cold front will move across the area Tuesday evening…widespread freeze looks likely Thursday morning.

A weak front is currently moving toward the coast and has resulted in a band of showers with some heavier rainfall this morning. Amounts have averaged 1-2 inches across southern and central Harris County. This activity will transition toward the coast this morning and most areas will be dry by early afternoon. There will be little to no cooling with this front.

A secondary and much stronger front will arrive late Tuesday and quickly sweep off the coast. Strong cold air advection will develop in the wake of this boundary and a cold and dry air mass will settle over the region for the Wednesday-Saturday period.

Winds:

Strong winds will develop in the post frontal air mass on Tuesday night and Wednesday with sustained speeds of 15-25mph and gust up to 30mph across much of the area. Near the coast winds will likely gust to near 40mph Wednesday morning. Winds will begin to relax on Wednesday afternoon as the pressure gradient weakens.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning:

Clear skies, low dewpoints, and nearly clam winds with high pressure overhead will support a rapid temperature fall. Much of the inland areas look to fall to or slightly below freezing Thursday morning with some upper 20’s in the rural areas N of I-10. Near the coast and within the urban heat island (inside the Beltway) in Harris County temperatures will likely remain in the 34-37 degree range.

Besides the wind on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and the potential for freezing conditions on Thursday morning there is little of weather expected through next weekend as the region will be under the firm control of dry high pressure. Lows in the 30’s/40’s and highs in the 50’s/60’s will be common Thursday-Saturday under mostly sunny skies.
2 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:
Image

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2143
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Wharton/El Campo

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3115 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am

vbhoutex wrote:Looks like we may see our 2nd freeze off the season,
From Jeff Lindner for SE TX:

A strong cold front will move across the area Tuesday evening…widespread freeze looks likely Thursday morning.

A weak front is currently moving toward the coast and has resulted in a band of showers with some heavier rainfall this morning. Amounts have averaged 1-2 inches across southern and central Harris County. This activity will transition toward the coast this morning and most areas will be dry by early afternoon. There will be little to no cooling with this front.

A secondary and much stronger front will arrive late Tuesday and quickly sweep off the coast. Strong cold air advection will develop in the wake of this boundary and a cold and dry air mass will settle over the region for the Wednesday-Saturday period.

Winds:

Strong winds will develop in the post frontal air mass on Tuesday night and Wednesday with sustained speeds of 15-25mph and gust up to 30mph across much of the area. Near the coast winds will likely gust to near 40mph Wednesday morning. Winds will begin to relax on Wednesday afternoon as the pressure gradient weakens.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning:

Clear skies, low dewpoints, and nearly clam winds with high pressure overhead will support a rapid temperature fall. Much of the inland areas look to fall to or slightly below freezing Thursday morning with some upper 20’s in the rural areas N of I-10. Near the coast and within the urban heat island (inside the Beltway) in Harris County temperatures will likely remain in the 34-37 degree range.

Besides the wind on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and the potential for freezing conditions on Thursday morning there is little of weather expected through next weekend as the region will be under the firm control of dry high pressure. Lows in the 30’s/40’s and highs in the 50’s/60’s will be common Thursday-Saturday under mostly sunny skies.


Second freeze? Heck, we’ve had way more than that down here an hour southwest of you in Wharton County.
0 likes   

User avatar
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 8408
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3116 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:33 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Looks like we may see our 2nd freeze off the season,
From Jeff Lindner for SE TX:

A strong cold front will move across the area Tuesday evening…widespread freeze looks likely Thursday morning.

A weak front is currently moving toward the coast and has resulted in a band of showers with some heavier rainfall this morning. Amounts have averaged 1-2 inches across southern and central Harris County. This activity will transition toward the coast this morning and most areas will be dry by early afternoon. There will be little to no cooling with this front.

A secondary and much stronger front will arrive late Tuesday and quickly sweep off the coast. Strong cold air advection will develop in the wake of this boundary and a cold and dry air mass will settle over the region for the Wednesday-Saturday period.

Winds:

Strong winds will develop in the post frontal air mass on Tuesday night and Wednesday with sustained speeds of 15-25mph and gust up to 30mph across much of the area. Near the coast winds will likely gust to near 40mph Wednesday morning. Winds will begin to relax on Wednesday afternoon as the pressure gradient weakens.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning:

Clear skies, low dewpoints, and nearly clam winds with high pressure overhead will support a rapid temperature fall. Much of the inland areas look to fall to or slightly below freezing Thursday morning with some upper 20’s in the rural areas N of I-10. Near the coast and within the urban heat island (inside the Beltway) in Harris County temperatures will likely remain in the 34-37 degree range.

Besides the wind on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and the potential for freezing conditions on Thursday morning there is little of weather expected through next weekend as the region will be under the firm control of dry high pressure. Lows in the 30’s/40’s and highs in the 50’s/60’s will be common Thursday-Saturday under mostly sunny skies.


Second freeze? Heck, we’ve had way more than that down here an hour southwest of you in Wharton County.


Goes to show how warm this meteorlogical winter has been all over. I am in Jacksonville, FL, and at my home weather station, only 2 days of temperatures at or below 32F have been measured to this juncture. This has definitely been among the warmest winters I can ever recall, even here in Northeast Florida.
1 likes   
Monitoring the 2020 Meteorological Summer Season and North Atlantic Hurricane Season from Northeast Florida

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

User avatar
KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 2789
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:23 pm
Location: League City, Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3117 Postby KatDaddy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Well it will be the 3rd to to bring in 2 plants down here in NW Galveston County just to be safe. Estimating a low of 33F at the house Thursday morning and we shall see. Spring is around the corner along with the Spring Severe weather season.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 17437
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3118 Postby Ntxw » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 pm

Reminder on Sunday we will be transitioning to the Spring thread for March-April-May consistent with the trimonthly seasonal threads the last few years.

Marks an end, for some, a winter not unlike 2011-2012, winners being west Texas (Midland-Odessa won that one too). It was putrid. Winter came in November and then vanished!
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

  Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34698
Age: 32
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3119 Postby Brent » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Ntxw wrote:Reminder on Sunday we will be transitioning to the Spring thread for March-April-May consistent with the trimonthly seasonal threads the last few years.

Marks an end, for some, a winter not unlike 2011-2012, winners being west Texas (Midland-Odessa won that one too). It was putrid. Winter came in November and then vanished!


I remember in November being concerned that was it and sure enough it was :double:
1 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive
Posts: 28586
Age: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:31 pm
Location: Spring Branch area, Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3120 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:Looks like we may see our 2nd freeze off the season,
From Jeff Lindner for SE TX:

A strong cold front will move across the area Tuesday evening…widespread freeze looks likely Thursday morning.

A weak front is currently moving toward the coast and has resulted in a band of showers with some heavier rainfall this morning. Amounts have averaged 1-2 inches across southern and central Harris County. This activity will transition toward the coast this morning and most areas will be dry by early afternoon. There will be little to no cooling with this front.

A secondary and much stronger front will arrive late Tuesday and quickly sweep off the coast. Strong cold air advection will develop in the wake of this boundary and a cold and dry air mass will settle over the region for the Wednesday-Saturday period.

Winds:

Strong winds will develop in the post frontal air mass on Tuesday night and Wednesday with sustained speeds of 15-25mph and gust up to 30mph across much of the area. Near the coast winds will likely gust to near 40mph Wednesday morning. Winds will begin to relax on Wednesday afternoon as the pressure gradient weakens.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning:

Clear skies, low dewpoints, and nearly clam winds with high pressure overhead will support a rapid temperature fall. Much of the inland areas look to fall to or slightly below freezing Thursday morning with some upper 20’s in the rural areas N of I-10. Near the coast and within the urban heat island (inside the Beltway) in Harris County temperatures will likely remain in the 34-37 degree range.

Besides the wind on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and the potential for freezing conditions on Thursday morning there is little of weather expected through next weekend as the region will be under the firm control of dry high pressure. Lows in the 30’s/40’s and highs in the 50’s/60’s will be common Thursday-Saturday under mostly sunny skies.


Second freeze? Heck, we’ve had way more than that down here an hour southwest of you in Wharton County.


It is called urban heat island. I have actually had 2 freezes at my home in Spring Branch area of W. Houston(18 miles W of downtown). Officially it could be the 2nd freeze.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:
Image


Return to “Winter Weather”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests