Texas Winter 2019-2020

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34635
Age: 31
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3121 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:20 am

March is looking to start warm... really wondering if this might be the last big cold snap

What a sad winter, been too many of these lately... our coldest day was in mid November
5 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
Cerlin
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 739
Age: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:06 am
Location: Frisco, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3122 Postby Cerlin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 am

6z NAM. One last little tease of winter for northern suburbs.
0 likes   
Let it snow NTX!

I’m an aspiring meteorologist who usually only speaks in layman’s terms. Any forecast or discussion I say is purely of my own opinion and should only be taken as such.

User avatar
Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 50
Age: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 pm
Location: Burleson

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3123 Postby Snowflake7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 am

To be quite honest, I think this is why our closets are bigger here in Texas... :sun: :rain: :froze: :jump:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Wharton/El Campo

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3124 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Very boring weather pattern looks to be setting in for quite some time here in southeast TX. Sucks! :(
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:47 am
Location: North Fort Worth

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3125 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.
4 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Wharton/El Campo

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3126 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:50 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.


It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34635
Age: 31
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3127 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.


It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol


It's only a matter of time til I do it honestly especially as cost of living continues to go up in the metro. it's not so much about the weather to me honestly although the summers do get old
1 likes   
#neversummer

DFW Stormwatcher
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 188
Age: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Keller, Tx

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3128 Postby DFW Stormwatcher » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.


It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol


It's only a matter of time til I do it honestly especially as cost of living continues to go up in the metro. it's not so much about the weather to me honestly although the summers do get old


Would that be soon? Just wanna know when I can expect snow again in the winter. :lol:
2 likes   
Disclaimer: This is not an official weather forecast. I am only an amateur weather enthusiast therefore any weather forecasts or opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Hook em Horns!

User avatar
dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 6034
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:29 pm
Location: Heath, TX
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3129 Postby dhweather » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Final freeze of these 2019-2020 "winter" ?

It's looking like Thursday will be it. And this pattern looks like a dry boring spring.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products. dhweather on wxmafia.com

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1311
Age: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Petrolia, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3130 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.


It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol

New England all day buddy.
3 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1311
Age: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm
Location: Petrolia, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3131 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Chance of flurries up this way tonight.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34635
Age: 31
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3132 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:21 pm

DFW Stormwatcher wrote:
Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol


It's only a matter of time til I do it honestly especially as cost of living continues to go up in the metro. it's not so much about the weather to me honestly although the summers do get old


Would that be soon? Just wanna know when I can expect snow again in the winter. :lol:


:lol: :spam: :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1755
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 am
Location: Farmers Branch, TX

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3133 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 pm

:uarrow: Yeah New England is great all year. I lived in Nashua New Hampshire for five years when I was a kid. Scenery year round with autumn leaves and plenty of cold and snow obviously. After visiting Colorado Springs several times over the last couple decades I have chosen that to be my place to move to if I could. With a wife and child it would be difficult but it is fun to think about. It's not as big as Denver but has plenty of natural beauty to go along with cold and snow. A good size city with a small town feel to it. Cold winters and warm summers with spring and fall mixed in. Ideal.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34635
Age: 31
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3134 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:06 pm

gpsnowman wrote::uarrow: Yeah New England is great all year. I lived in Nashua New Hampshire for five years when I was a kid. Scenery year round with autumn leaves and plenty of cold and snow obviously. After visiting Colorado Springs several times over the last couple decades I have chosen that to be my place to move to if I could. With a wife and child it would be difficult but it is fun to think about. It's not as big as Denver but has plenty of natural beauty to go along with cold and snow. A good size city with a small town feel to it. Cold winters and warm summers with spring and fall mixed in. Ideal.


Yeah gotta be honest Colorado is high on my list too
1 likes   
#neversummer

Common sense
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3135 Postby Common sense » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:Was hoping for a surprise, but looks again our best winter was...in fall.

I am tempted by a job opening in the KC area to see snow and fall colors again. But, darn pay cuts vs. teaching in DFW make that iffy...probably will stay here. I like DFW overall, just not the traffic and lack of winter/endless summer.


It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol

New England all day buddy.


Good luck:

"BOSTON (CBS) — This winter has been ridiculous. All three winter months will finish with well above average temperatures. January was the third warmest on record. February will finish in the top five warmest on record. The winter months of Dec-Jan-Feb combined will finish in the top three warmest on record."

The combination of January and February 2020 will go in the books as the second-least snowy (3.6”). . . we haven’t had less snow in Jan-Feb combined since 1937!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/02/24/ ... -snow/amp/[/url]
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 34635
Age: 31
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3136 Postby Brent » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 am

Common sense wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
It would be nice to live somewhere where they actually experience all 4 seasons. Not even gonna lie about it lol

New England all day buddy.


Good luck:

"BOSTON (CBS) — This winter has been ridiculous. All three winter months will finish with well above average temperatures. January was the third warmest on record. February will finish in the top five warmest on record. The winter months of Dec-Jan-Feb combined will finish in the top three warmest on record."

The combination of January and February 2020 will go in the books as the second-least snowy (3.6”). . . we haven’t had less snow in Jan-Feb combined since 1937!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/02/24/ ... -snow/amp/[/url]


there are places in West Texas that had more snow than that a few weeks ago... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also places in Georgia and North Carolina :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

User avatar
Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:49 am
Location: Denton, TX. I35E & i35W split

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3137 Postby Tammie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:46 am

Snowing in Sherman!!!
6 likes   
Tammie - Denton TX

User avatar
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 5537
Age: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: College Station, TX
Contact:

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3138 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 am

0 likes   
Wayward meteorology student on a journey back to the promised land.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

User avatar
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 2949
Age: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am
Location: Roaming Texan

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3139 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 am

East Texas will need to watch for next week for possible severe weather. Day 6 was highlighted by them tonight. Here's the discussion for it.

...DISCUSSION...
Medium-range guidance continues to come into better agreement
regarding the eastward ejection of an upper trough/low from the
Southwest and northern Mexico across the southern/central Plains
from Day 4/Sunday through Day 6/Tuesday. Low-level moisture will
continue to advect northward across the southern Plains and lower MS
Valley in this time frame. The past several runs of the
deterministic ECMWF have been relatively consistent in the timing
and amplitude of the eastward ejection of the upper trough/low.

The potential for substantial low-level moisture return across parts
of east TX into the ArkLaMiss by Day 6/Tuesday has increased. Low
and mid-level flow are also forecast to markedly strengthen across
these areas, particularly Tuesday evening into early Wednesday
morning. With strong forcing for ascent preceding the upper
trough/low, a surface low should deepen as it develops northeastward
from portions of east TX into the vicinity of the Mid-South. A
trailing cold front should also shift eastward across TX into parts
of the lower MS Valley by the end of the Day 6/Tuesday period (early
Wednesday morning).

A thermodynamic and kinematic parameter space favorable for the
formation and maintenance of organized severe thunderstorms will
probably exist over these areas from Tuesday evening though early
Wednesday morning. Storms could form both along and ahead of the
eastward-moving cold front, with all severe hazards possible.
Therefore, a 15% severe delineation has been introduced for Day
6/Tuesday. There is some uncertainty with how far east the threat
will extend into MS late Tuesday night, and adjustments to this 15%
area are likely.

Uncertainty in the placement of both the upper trough/low and
related surface low increases into Day 7/Wednesday. At least some
severe threat may continue across parts of the Southeast (mainly
AL/GA vicinity), but low-level moisture should gradually decrease
with eastward extent. 15% severe probabilities may be needed in a
later outlook issuance over parts of the Southeast on Day
7/Wednesday once the synoptic-scale evolution becomes a bit clearer.

..Gleason.. 02/27/2020
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Wharton/El Campo

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#3140 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm

TheProfessor wrote:East Texas will need to watch for next week for possible severe weather. Day 6 was highlighted by them tonight. Here's the discussion for it.

...DISCUSSION...
Medium-range guidance continues to come into better agreement
regarding the eastward ejection of an upper trough/low from the
Southwest and northern Mexico across the southern/central Plains
from Day 4/Sunday through Day 6/Tuesday. Low-level moisture will
continue to advect northward across the southern Plains and lower MS
Valley in this time frame. The past several runs of the
deterministic ECMWF have been relatively consistent in the timing
and amplitude of the eastward ejection of the upper trough/low.

The potential for substantial low-level moisture return across parts
of east TX into the ArkLaMiss by Day 6/Tuesday has increased. Low
and mid-level flow are also forecast to markedly strengthen across
these areas, particularly Tuesday evening into early Wednesday
morning. With strong forcing for ascent preceding the upper
trough/low, a surface low should deepen as it develops northeastward
from portions of east TX into the vicinity of the Mid-South. A
trailing cold front should also shift eastward across TX into parts
of the lower MS Valley by the end of the Day 6/Tuesday period (early
Wednesday morning).

A thermodynamic and kinematic parameter space favorable for the
formation and maintenance of organized severe thunderstorms will
probably exist over these areas from Tuesday evening though early
Wednesday morning. Storms could form both along and ahead of the
eastward-moving cold front, with all severe hazards possible.
Therefore, a 15% severe delineation has been introduced for Day
6/Tuesday. There is some uncertainty with how far east the threat
will extend into MS late Tuesday night, and adjustments to this 15%
area are likely.

Uncertainty in the placement of both the upper trough/low and
related surface low increases into Day 7/Wednesday. At least some
severe threat may continue across parts of the Southeast (mainly
AL/GA vicinity), but low-level moisture should gradually decrease
with eastward extent. 15% severe probabilities may be needed in a
later outlook issuance over parts of the Southeast on Day
7/Wednesday once the synoptic-scale evolution becomes a bit clearer.

..Gleason.. 02/27/2020


It looks to me like it’ll be more of a threat for areas right along and near the Mississippi River once again. Models are pounding the areas of eastern Arkansas, Tennessee, and the northern halves of Louisiana, Mississippi, & Bama. Maybe the northeast quadrant of Texas will get some action. I’d imagine there’s gonna be some pretty serious river flooding going on in that area over the next couple weeks. The pattern is just ripe for that area to keep getting pounded over and over again.
0 likes   


Return to “Winter Weather”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests