Texas Winter 2020-2021

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2020-2021

#2221 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:26 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

What a shame. Winter is very likely over at this rate (What will heat miser react to this????) :lol:

But, storm season is posed to start this weekend in Northern Texas & Southern Oklahoma.

It will be interesting to see. The weather channel is famous for putting these temp forecasts out weekly and they never seem to be the same. The models however don’t look good either.

Not good for snow, & when this shows up, Winter might be over already.

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2222 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:What a shame. Winter is very likely over at this rate (What will heat miser react to this????) :lol:

But, storm season is posed to start this weekend in Northern Texas & Southern Oklahoma.

It will be interesting to see. The weather channel is famous for putting these temp forecasts out weekly and they never seem to be the same. The models however don’t look good either.

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/Severe-weather-possible-Sunday.png

Yeah, you can pass me by with that stuff. What’s that old saying? When it thunders in winter, expect snow 10 days later? Or something like that. I may be totally wrong with that.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2223 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:It will be interesting to see. The weather channel is famous for putting these temp forecasts out weekly and they never seem to be the same. The models however don’t look good either.

Yeah, you can pass me by with that stuff. What’s that old saying? When it thunders in winter, expect snow 10 days later? Or something like that. I may be totally wrong with that.

Yes, that old saying is true, but the accuracy is around 20%. I rather not count on that.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2224 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:55 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Yes, that old saying is true, but the accuracy is around 20%. I rather not count on that.

So about the same as long range forecasts and models? :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2225 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:11 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Yeah, you can pass me by with that stuff. What’s that old saying? When it thunders in winter, expect snow 10 days later? Or something like that. I may be totally wrong with that.

So about the same as long range forecasts and models? :lol:

Yes, lower farther out.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#2226 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am

Well, uh oh. My optimism is rapidly fading. At least I saw some mood snow for a day and saw some in New Mexico at the end of October, but standing in one snow pile isn't the same.

Better be a good severe weather season to make up for this.
4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2227 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:39 am

rwfromkansas wrote:Well, uh oh. My optimism is rapidly fading. At least I saw some mood snow for a day and saw some in New Mexico at the end of October, but standing in one snow pile isn't the same.

Better be a good severe weather season to make up for this.

Well, I had 3 snowstorms in a SINGLE month! (December 2020)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#2228 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm

La Nina has kicked in and without that Greenland high, sadness. Also the polar vortex slipped towards Siberia instead of Central Canada. Real bummer.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2229 Postby Brent » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:13 pm

how fast things change... 2 snowstorms nearby in a week and a half and now what???
2 likes   
#neversummer

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2230 Postby TropicalTundra » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 pm

CMC just casually drops several feet of snow on southern Colorado around 210 hours out. GFS doesn't see this yet.
2 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2231 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm

TropicalTundra wrote:CMC just casually drops several feet of snow on southern Colorado around 210 hours out. GFS doesn't see this yet.

Highest I've seen on that model is 150 inches in Colorado
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2232 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Brent wrote:how fast things change... 2 snowstorms nearby in a week and a half and now what???

Maybe the GFS model is trolling us?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2233 Postby TropicalTundra » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Also, GFS drops 9.5 feet of snow on some places in Eastern California.
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#2234 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 am

Another dense fog advisory canceled. I swear 9 times out of 10 these never materialize in DFW. Anybody know why? Not that I enjoy driving in it, but it can look cool if not too thick.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2235 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 am

rwfromkansas wrote:Another dense fog advisory canceled. I swear 9 times out of 10 these never materialize in DFW. Anybody know why? Not that I enjoy driving in it, but it can look cool if not too thick.

Too windy? Tried to develop here but the wind picked up.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2236 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:26 am

GFS +60 hours Sounding over Dallas, TX

Looking more like May than January!

(Yes, there is a good chance of EF4 tornadoes over Dallas, I'm really hoping that chance is a bust :eek:)

Also in my storm season Forum: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=121693
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2237 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am

Iceresistance wrote:GFS +60 hours Sounding over Dallas, TX

https://s2.gifyu.com/images/Screenshot-2021-01-22-at-10.19.42-AM.png

(Yes, there is a good chance of EF4 tornadoes over Dallas, I'm really hoping that chance is a bust :eek:)

I wouldn't call this a good chance for EF-4s based on this sounding. Although ML CAPE, directional shear, and SRH all look good. Low-level speed shear could be better, and any storm in that immediate environment would be elevated, which would make it very hard to get a tornado, much less a strong one.

However, this specific sounding does look contaminated and there's probably a storm already occurring over this location. If that's the case then the parameters are probably quite a bit better than this and the potential for a strong or even severe tornado is very real. Nonetheless, even if the environment will be capped at the surface during the event, as with any severe weather event, one should be prepared in the case the cap breaks.
4 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2238 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:52 am

TheProfessor wrote:

I wouldn't call this a good chance for EF-4s based on this sounding. Although ML CAPE, directional shear, and SRH all look good. Low-level speed shear could be better, and any storm in that immediate environment would be elevated, which would make it very hard to get a tornado, much less a strong one.

However, this specific sounding does look contaminated and there's probably a storm already occurring over this location. If that's the case then the parameters are probably quite a bit better than this and the potential for a strong or even severe tornado is very real. Nonetheless, even if the environment will be capped at the surface during the event, as with any severe weather event, one should be prepared in the case the cap breaks.

All of this is true, but that sounding is showing if no other storms already went over that area.

Yes, the threat will be lower if there is too much clouds, previous storms, less wind shear, less CAPE & if the area is capped.

But, there is always a chance that the cap breaks & ruptures (When a storm breaks the cap, it can rupture & allow more storms to form, this happened last year when a powerful supercell broke the cap & more storms followed suit afterword) and chances can't be taken with convective activity because they are very unpredictable on how strong they can be & can suddenly change direction.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2239 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:

All of this is true, but that sounding is showing if no other storms already went over that area.

Yes, the threat will be lower if there is too much clouds, previous storms, less wind shear, less CAPE & if the area is capped.

But, there is always a chance that the cap breaks & ruptures (When a storm breaks the cap, it can rupture & allow more storms to form, this happened last year when a powerful supercell broke the cap & more storms followed suit afterword) and chances can't be taken with convective activity because they are very unpredictable on how strong they can be & can suddenly change direction.

I'm telling you that the sounding you posted is contaminated, the dewpoint being right on the temperature line near the surface and the temperature inversion both suggests this. The 12z GFS at this moment also shows precipitation over Dallas at that moment. That's what is causing the contamination. This means that we can't really get a good gage on what the sounding you posted is telling us because it's being affected by ongoing precipitation. In this case the rain is causing a temperature inversion, which lessens the parameters for severe weather on a sounding.

If the opposite were true and the sounding wasn't contaminated then the severe weather risk would be minimalized because of the temperature inversion at the surface and weak low level lapse rates (caused by the inversion.).
4 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2240 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:32 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:

I'm telling you that the sounding you posted is contaminated, the dewpoint being right on the temperature line near the surface and the temperature inversion both suggests this. The 12z GFS at this moment also shows precipitation over Dallas at that moment. That's what is causing the contamination. This means that we can't really get a good gage on what the sounding you posted is telling us because it's being affected by ongoing precipitation. In this case the rain is causing a temperature inversion, which lessens the parameters for severe weather on a sounding.

If the opposite were true and the sounding wasn't contaminated then the severe weather risk would be minimalized because of the temperature inversion at the surface and weak low level lapse rates (caused by the inversion.).

Oh, I see now

When a Sounding is looking crazy, double-check the radar to see if it is a contaminated sounding, if it is (Example above), then the true threat is lower. But if it is not, the unthinkable may happen.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”