Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#161 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:GEFS is still very consistent with a good snowfall signal for the Southern Plains next week, but the GEFS & GFS are in conflict with each other.

GFS has been terrible beyond 3-4 days. New Euro says no significant snow for Southern Plains next week. Here's the 10-day ECMWF total accumulated snow map:

http://wxman57.com/images/EC10DaySnow.JPG

Thanks for the snow map, I was about to check it.

Also, I'm strongly thinking that the model trust is very low right now with the Ensembles & Operational models are having conflicting runs
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby Cerlin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Planned a trip for Colorado Springs in January of 2022 a few months ago…I was worried about too much snow but it looks like I should be worrying that there’s no snow at all. Weird times!
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#163 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:22 pm

I'd definitely be concerned about medium to long term drought now. Everything you know about a true La Nina is here.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1466087318838816768

3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

AustinTXResident
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#164 Postby AustinTXResident » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:17 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
There was a SSW in January 2021, & it's effects were not felt until February 2021, the impact of an SSW can take anywhere from 3-8 Weeks

Again, a SSW was not the cause of the February 2021 Arctic outbreak in Texas.
0 likes   

AustinTXResident
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#165 Postby AustinTXResident » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:30 pm

November 2021 was the 42nd warmest / 80th coolest November on record (covering 121 years) for the Austin area. Precipitation was the 50th highest on record (covering 121 years).

Autumn 2021 tied 2019 for the 10th warmest / 111th coolest autumn on record (covering 121 years) for the Austin area. Precipitation was the 48th highest on record (covering 119 years).

The first 11 months of 2021 tied 1921 for the 23rd warmest / 100th coolest January-November periods on record (covering 123 years) for the Austin area. Precipitation was the 32nd highest on record (covering 116 years).

The last 12 months tied 2004-05 and 1932-33 for the 19th warmest / 103rd coolest December-November periods on record (covering 123 years) for the Austin area. Precipitation was the 25th highest on record (covering 115 years).
Last edited by AustinTXResident on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#166 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Not a forecasted freeze in sight. At this rate when it’s all said and done, the winter thread will have as few pages as the summer thread usually does. #cancel
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby Cerlin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:50 pm

AustinTXResident wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
There was a SSW in January 2021, & it's effects were not felt until February 2021, the impact of an SSW can take anywhere from 3-8 Weeks

According to Wikipedia, The February Arctic Oubtreak was "caused by a southern migration of the polar vortex, likely caused by a sudden stratospheric warming event that occurred the prior month." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2021_North_American_cold_wave)

In addition, it's documented that an SSW event happened in January 2021, and since we had a PV event, it's a logical assumption. NOAA even states on their website that SSW events "can lead to a displacement or splitting of the polar vortex, so instead of cold air being locked above the polar region, it can push further south into the mid-latitudes.". (https://www.weather.gov/bis/sudden_stratospheric_warming_events

By the definition of a SSW event from NOAA, and given the results of the cold wave, I think it's entirely justified to say the SSW was a leading factor and cause of the arctic outbreak.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#168 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Some signs in the ensembles that we might see a pattern flip heading into mid-month with the Western Ridge flipping to a SE Ridge. This would put Texas in the battle zone vs. being in the downslope.
5 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#169 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Cerlin wrote:
AustinTXResident wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

According to Wikipedia, The February Arctic Oubtreak was "caused by a southern migration of the polar vortex, likely caused by a sudden stratospheric warming event that occurred the prior month." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2021_North_American_cold_wave)

In addition, it's documented that an SSW event happened in January 2021, and since we had a PV event, it's a logical assumption. NOAA even states on their website that SSW events "can lead to a displacement or splitting of the polar vortex, so instead of cold air being locked above the polar region, it can push further south into the mid-latitudes.". (https://www.weather.gov/bis/sudden_stratospheric_warming_events

By the definition of a SSW event from NOAA, and given the results of the cold wave, I think it's entirely justified to say the SSW was a leading factor and cause of the arctic outbreak.

You can even go back further, a series of events occurred. December began the assault on the tropospheric vortex that worked from bottom up. Big El Nino-like Aleutian low (-AO couple) sent heatflux into the Arctic. That then led to a top down event from the weakened PV that extenuated the -AO right through February. It was then a matter of time when the Pacific would relent and the EPO allowed the cold to build over North America. The -AO set path that any cold air mass would be allowed southward. Some years they go to Eurasia but 2021 decided North America was the winner.

2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#170 Postby Brent » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:51 pm

Yeah I'm not gonna be very optimistic about the next couple weeks at least if we can't even get snow upstream

Denver is making weather history this year as the city patiently waits to receive its first measurable snow of the 2021 winter season. This is the latest the city has ever waited for snow, according to the National Weather Service.
Last edited by Brent on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#171 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Brent wrote:Yeah I'm not gonna be very optimistic about the next couple weeks at least if we can't even get snow upstream

Denver is making weather history this year as the city patiently waits to receive its first measurable snow of the 2021 winter season. This is the latest the city has ever waited for snow, according to the National Weather Service.

I might have been up there for the last significant front range snow last season, so since then they've seen as much snow as I have :D
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#172 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 pm

Running the a/c on December 1 is never a good sign. And here I am. Granted, I was cooking but still.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#173 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 pm

I think we all just need to be patient. Signs are already pointing towards a flip, but it's likely going to be a slow process. Just a few days ago every model and ensemble but the GFS deterministic had a persistent deep trough over the SE/East Coast which would have been bad news for all of us. Now the ensembles are showing SE ridging developing with more troughiness on the west coast. Although this pattern isn't quite what you want for those in Texas, Brent and I could end up cashing in on some close calls. Eventually I think we do see us tap into that cold in Alaska and NW Canada unless the MJO dies for a long time again (our main problem). If that happens then yeah this winter may be lost.
5 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#174 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I think we all just need to be patient. Signs are already pointing towards a flip, but it's likely going to be a slow process. Just a few days ago every model and ensemble but the GFS deterministic had a persistent deep trough over the SE/East Coast which would have been bad news for all of us. Now the ensembles are showing SE ridging developing with more troughiness on the west coast. Although this pattern isn't quite what you want for those in Texas, Brent and I could end up cashing in on some close calls. Eventually I think we do see us tap into that cold in Alaska and NW Canada unless the MJO dies for a long time again (our main problem). If that happens then yeah this winter may be lost.

Would it be brutal if winter basically never existed this year? And the MJO has started back up at Phase 6.

(On the bolded): Don't forget me! Lol
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#175 Postby Brent » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I think we all just need to be patient. Signs are already pointing towards a flip, but it's likely going to be a slow process. Just a few days ago every model and ensemble but the GFS deterministic had a persistent deep trough over the SE/East Coast which would have been bad news for all of us. Now the ensembles are showing SE ridging developing with more troughiness on the west coast. Although this pattern isn't quite what you want for those in Texas, Brent and I could end up cashing in on some close calls. Eventually I think we do see us tap into that cold in Alaska and NW Canada unless the MJO dies for a long time again (our main problem). If that happens then yeah this winter may be lost.

Would it be brutal if winter basically never existed this year? And the MJO has started back up at Phase 6.

(On the bolded): Don't forget me! Lol

I mean 11-12 is still an analog... It only snowed an inch and a half here that year. May seem decent in Texas but up here it's one of the least snowy winters

But I also think it's early... If the pattern still looks bad towards Christmas then yeah maybe it's time to worry. Until then like I said most of December has been meh anyway lately

One thing I feel like lately is the seasons are delayed remember how late spring was? How late summer was and then drug on? Might see the same thing with winter
2 likes   
#neversummer

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm

If we can get a western trough it’s pretty much guaranteed to go east at some point.

Also, is there an MJO for dummies page? It’s the one weather concept that is just like Greek to me. All the phases are confusing.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#177 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:21 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:If we can get a western trough it’s pretty much guaranteed to go east at some point.

Also, is there an MJO for dummies page? It’s the one weather concept that is just like Greek to me. All the phases are confusing.

Don't worry, it's Greek to a lot of forecasters too. I mostly just know it in very basic terms in how it relates to our weather. Phase 7 and 8 are typically cold phases for us while 1 and 2 favor severe weather (especially phase 2). I've seen some helpful tweet before, but don't have the time to dig them up.
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#178 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:34 pm

The MJO is relatively weak. In everyday terms phases 3-4-5-6 are La Nina (mild and dry) like phases and 7-8-1-2 are El Nino (cool and wet) like phases. How strong it is matters too.

So far it's been 'looping' around 4-5-6 but some of that is masked. Reason being is the dominant standing wave, or regions of 'lift' over the tropics is stagnant around Indonesia (maritime continent). This is evident the Nina is well coupled and controlling much of the driving forces currently.

The walker circulation is a good place to start if you want to connect some of the dots with the mjo and enso states.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... eric-buddy

One way you can look at modeling is CHI or irrotational wind vectors to see this background lift. If the MJO is to move out of 4-6 then you'd see a good forecast of green area move across the equatorial Pacific. However if you watch the loop it is mostly 'stuck' between 90E and 120E.

3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#179 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:01 pm

I'm willing to bet that 50% of our winter is going to be heavy La Nina, so just sit back and enjoy the what we have. By late in the month hopefully we see a pattern shift that will at least give us a little taste of Winter starting in January. Just don't get overly excited as I have that feeling that Spring will be here by early March.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:49 pm

Note that the Stratwarm over Canada on the 18z GFS causes a destabilization of the Polar Vortex.

https://s8.gifyu.com/images/gfs_Tz10_nhem_fh-72-384.gif
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”