Why first cold snap is almost always underestimated by NWS

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
WxDen
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Why first cold snap is almost always underestimated by NWS

#1 Postby WxDen » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:31 pm

Why is it the first true cold snap is almost always underestimated by the NWS even enlight of the models depicting it? The first frost here is never predicted here by them. The temps from the cold shot have been several degrees colder than they predicted. Why is this? Is it that they look at the "normals" and just think that it can't get that cold this early?
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby JCT777 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:37 pm

Good question. Maybe they do not think the model-predicted cold temps at the upper levels of the atmosphere will translate down to the surface, since it is early October and the sun is still not too low in the sky. So perhaps they have overestimated the surface temps for this reason. It's my novice theory, anyway.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby PTrackerLA » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:22 pm

I think you might be on to something. High temp was supposed to be 78 today but at 2:20 we're only 70 and will probably only go up a degree or two more. You won't hear them mention that they were wrong most of the time either. The low tonight is supposed to be 53 but I wouldn't be surprised to see upper 40's. It's pretty rare to have such consistent coolness like this in early autumn also.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”