"KU Snowstorm" Increasingly Likely

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
donsutherland1
S2K Analyst
S2K Analyst

"KU Snowstorm" Increasingly Likely

#1 Postby donsutherland1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:20 pm

The extreme negative NAO has now been weakening for the second consecutive day and the GFS ensembles expect that trend to accelerate in coming days. This raises anew the point made about extreme blocks and "Kocin-Uccellini" snowstorms.

On February 23, in the post concerning extreme blocks, I noted: Considering that February 2005 is all but certain to see the SOI average -10.00 or below and Winter 2004-05 was a weak El Niño winter (not a La Niña one), should the NAO drop to -5.500 or below in coming days, the probability of a Kocin-Uccellini snowstorm at some point as the extreme blocking episode begins to weaken could be high.

The latest model guidance has continued to consolidate toward a coastal/offshore track consistent with past experience concerning extreme blocks. As noted previously, it was always the extreme block and not the smaller-scale 500 mb low that was to define this pattern. In my view, things have come together sufficiently that I believe the likelihood of a "Kocin-Uccellini" snowstorm is growing increasingly likely. This is not yet assured.

The possibility exists that Washington, DC to Boston could all see 8" or more snow. Already, I believe that DCA, PHL, and NYC will see predominantly snow (67% or more of the precipitation will fall in the form of snow). After this evening's runs, I'll offer some estimates. But from this vantage point, it is more likely that the major cities see 10" or more snow than they see less than 2"/mainly rain.

Will this storm prove to be yet another example where a good look at the past proves invaluable yet again? Stay tuned.
0 likes   

Fodie77
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby Fodie77 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:22 pm

What are your feelings on totals for the Shenandoah Valley and northern VA?
0 likes   

donsutherland1
S2K Analyst
S2K Analyst

#3 Postby donsutherland1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Fodie77,

Right now, I still believe a significant snowfall is possible for that part of the State. Certainly, it appears that the developing storm may be more moist than depicted on the models for this stage of its development. Ratios should be a little higher.

By this evening, I'll have a firmer idea as to amounts and will post those thoughts.
0 likes   

Fodie77
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Fodie77 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:27 pm

donsutherland1 wrote:Fodie77,

Right now, I still believe a significant snowfall is possible for that part of the State. Certainly, it appears that the developing storm may be more moist than depicted on the models for this stage of its development. Ratios should be a little higher.

By this evening, I'll have a firmer idea as to amounts and will post those thoughts.

O.K. Thank you for the response.
0 likes   

RestonVA
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby RestonVA » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:10 pm

newbie question. what is a Kocin-Uccellini snowstorm? I looked around on the internet and I found a bunch of stuff about storms that were considered KU's, but I wasn't able to find out exactly what it means or what criteria a storm must have to be considered one. Thank you.
0 likes   

Jrodd312
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Jrodd312 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:15 pm

RestonVA wrote:newbie question. what is a Kocin-Uccellini snowstorm? I looked around on the internet and I found a bunch of stuff about storms that were considered KU's, but I wasn't able to find out exactly what it means or what criteria a storm must have to be considered one. Thank you.
Its Paul Kocin (From TWC) snowstorm scale. Nuisence, Minor, Significent, Major or Crippling. (Not so sure on the first two but positive on the last three)

-John
0 likes   

RestonVA
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby RestonVA » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:18 pm

from the way the word is being used, it seems to me that a Kocin-Uccellini storm is an actual type of storm that is huge, not a scale. are you sure about that?
0 likes   

Coredesat

Re: "KU Snowstorm" Increasingly Likely

#8 Postby Coredesat » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:45 pm

donsutherland1 wrote:The possibility exists that Washington, DC to Boston could all see 8" or more snow. Already, I believe that DCA, PHL, and NYC will see predominantly snow (67% or more of the precipitation will fall in the form of snow). After this evening's runs, I'll offer some estimates. But from this vantage point, it is more likely that the major cities see 10" or more snow than they see less than 2"/mainly rain.

Sorry to ask yet another question about this, but what are your feelings about the Richmond area?
0 likes   

donsutherland1
S2K Analyst
S2K Analyst

#9 Postby donsutherland1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:08 pm

RestonVA,

I'm talking about the kind of storm that scores 3 or higher on the NESIS Scale and is among those that appear in Kocin-Uccellini's Northeast Snowstorms. Some examples of such storms include Feburary 1958, December 1960, January 1964, January 1978 (not the Midwest "bomb"), January 1987, and February 1994.
0 likes   

donsutherland1
S2K Analyst
S2K Analyst

#10 Postby donsutherland1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Team Ragnarok,

Richmond is a very difficult call at this time. Significant snows could miss, but they could be very close by. I'll need to see at least the 18z data to try to pin down this area. I wish I could be more definitive or hopeful at this time, but this is an extremely difficult call right now.
0 likes   

JBG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby JBG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am

I think RIC was in on the latest storm. Query, did it meet KU standards?
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”