Texas-EastPac cyclones, and a flaming San Jacinto River

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ed Mahmoud

Texas-EastPac cyclones, and a flaming San Jacinto River

#1 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:38 am

Been pointed out 1994 was a El Nino year (BTW, why doesn't an ñ produce an enye?), but still, October is when it is time, in Texas, to look for disasters from Pacific systems.

San Jacinto River Incident: Armageddon Visits Houston

UPRR bridge over the San Jacinto

AMS discussion of October 1994 SE Texas Flood Event
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas-EastPac cyclones, and a flaming San Jacinto River

#2 Postby jinftl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 pm

So is the season really over in October for Texas like you said in your other thread?

"October is when it is time, in Texas, to look for Disasters from Pacific Systems"...and by 'systems' i gather you mean tropical systems ....is not really a consistent season-ending headline.

Texas has dealt with alot...is still dealing with alot...maybe it is not the worst idea to lay off sensational headlines of flaming rivers (granted...the river was flaming in 1950) and disasters from the pacific for those just getting back up and running in texas for a bit....lean towards snow forecasts...everyone likes the thought of that! There has to be a GFS run or some model that shows snow in houston in 800 hours or something!

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Been pointed out 1994 was a El Nino year (BTW, why doesn't an ñ produce an enye?), but still, October is when it is time, in Texas, to look for disasters from Pacific systems.

San Jacinto River Incident: Armageddon Visits Houston

UPRR bridge over the San Jacinto

AMS discussion of October 1994 SE Texas Flood Event
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Aslkahuna » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 pm

Rosa was the culprit in 1994 as it entered TX as a TD. EPAC tends to be more active in El Niño years like 1994. In actuality, moisture from EPAC both in the form of tropical remnants as winter moisture plumes is a significant player in precipitation events all of the way to the East Coast. BTW to get a ñ turn on your Num Lock and while using the Alt key type in 164-works with the numeric pad only.

Steve
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Aslkahuna wrote: BTW to get a ñ turn on your Num Lock and while using the Alt key type in 164-works with the numeric pad only.

Steve

Thank You! It has been 5 years and I could never figure that out on my keyboard.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#5 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:12 am

Someone woke up on the serious side of the bed and had cranky flakes for breakfast?

Not predicting a 15th anniversary flood and river fire.

Indeed, we are entering the time that is both sad and happy, perhaps the happiest time of the year. Sad because the sun hasn't risen yet when I head for work, and is setting as I head home, and beach season is over. Of course, beach season ended for us when my wife's grandfather's ("Popo") beach place got destroyed in Jamaica Beach, but even without a hurricane, beach season was ending. Long nights, cool weather.

But also a time of happiness, for many people. We've already had the Rosh Hashana, the first of the ethnic New Years, college football season heats up, our celebration of our (I'm predominantly ethnic Irish, with a tad of English and Austro-Hungarian Ashkenazi) pagan Druid tree worshipping ancestors, Halloween, followed by the dual holiday of Thanksgiving and a late afternoon Cowboy home game, then the college football conference championship games, the BCS selection show, Chanukkah, Christmas, Capitol 1 Bowl Week, Kwa'anza, New Years, The beginning of Carnival on January 6, Asian Lunar New Year, Super Bowl Sunday and then Mardi Gras.

BTW, interesting aside, both books of Maccabees (the hammer books), are in the catholic Bible, but were left out of The King James (Protestant) bible. I think the Protestants miss out on Esdra as well. But as a Catholic, I can actually read the Chanukkah story.

Of course, then Lent begins, and as an observant Catholic, it is a serious time of the year, but the days are getting longer, our oak tree, which loses about half its green leaves each December, starts growing new leaves, thunderstorm season starts again in Texas, and before you know it, Easter season, which for us Catholics lasts seven weeks, until the Feast of Pentecost.

I will say, not wanting the San Jacinto or Trinity or Cypress Creek or San Bernard or Tres Palacios or Brazos or Buffalo Bayou to either flood or catch fire, but a nice landfalling Pacific TC and a couple of inches of rain would be made to order at my house, rain free since the fluke storm Ike.

In the 50sF (below 15ºC) this morning, as October is coming in like a lamb, but a very cool lamb.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:55 am

Aslkahuna wrote:Rosa was the culprit in 1994 as it entered TX as a TD. EPAC tends to be more active in El Niño years like 1994. In actuality, moisture from EPAC both in the form of tropical remnants as winter moisture plumes is a significant player in precipitation events all of the way to the East Coast. BTW to get a ñ turn on your Num Lock and while using the Alt key type in 164-works with the numeric pad only.

Steve

I remember the October 1994 flood. It was caused by Rosa. Also, there was a Pacific Front, low pressure system, and strong high that contributed to the flood event. Up to 40 inches of rain fell in the 4 days, mostly from October 17-18. Some areas got up to +24 inches of rain in one day! I measured a total of nearly 13 inches in 4 days. I sometimes wonder what caused the December of 1935 flood in Houston. Up to 20 inches of rain fell in some areas. It was a really bad flood event. Also, there were big floods in April and May of 1929.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#7 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Don't look now but Norbert!
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#8 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Well, 13-L is too far South to do much for Texas before tomorrow's cold front, but check out what the 12Z GFS projects for the 700 mb theta-e for Nobert and 92E

700 mb theta-e loop from FSU experimental cyclone genesis page
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

I hope we don't end up with another Rosa type scenario!! We need the rain badly, but not flooding rains!!!!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”