C/S TX Weather: Seasonal with some rains

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: C/SC TX Weather: Frying Pan Summer

#821 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 pm

WFAA is reporting that apparently we have gone from level 2A to 2B in the last hour. That means Level 3 (Blackouts will occur) is about to occur if the power drain doesn't stop.

Geez ... :roll:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#822 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Portastorm wrote:WFAA is reporting that apparently we have gone from level 2A to 2B in the last hour. That means Level 3 (Blackouts will occur) is about to occur if the power drain doesn't stop.

Geez ... :roll:

I wonder how much electricity is used by televisions watching WFAA.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#823 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 pm

We got this email about 30 mins ago here at work. We've already implemented some conservation steps by only using emergency overhead lighting. Now we're powering down unused servers and equipment in our labs.

This message is to inform you that ERCOT has now issued a Level 2A Utility Alert for the State of Texas. They are calling for additional conservation measures, and have indicated that rolling utility outages are a real possibility this afternoon. Note that there is one additional Level (2B) before a Level 3 alert that initiates rolling outages.
Please be prepared to possibly evacuate the buildings should power be off for an extended period of time.
Lab Managers, please assist by powering off any equipment that is currently unused.
Thank you for your cooperation during these difficult and challenging times.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#824 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 pm

FYI, we set records today at both Mabry (107) and ABIA (105).
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#825 Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Portastorm wrote:FYI, we set records today at both Mabry (107) and ABIA (105).

I thought we would. Current reading at our house is 110.9F

In other news, from ERCOT

At 15:42, ERCOT AT EEA 2B - HIGH PROBABILITY OF ROTATING OUTAGES AT THIS TIME. ERCOT IS ASKING CONSUMERS AND BUSINESSES TO REDUCE ELECTRICITY USAGE.

The link will take you to ERCOT's operations messages.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#826 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Mark Murray, a good TV weather guy here in Austin, tweeted this afternoon that the state's climatologist said July 2011 was the warmest month on record for Texas.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#827 Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:19 pm

From the AP

The Climate Prediction Center issued a La Nina watch on Thursday, just two months after announcing the last La Nina had ended. The weather pattern is marked by a cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean and it typically results in less rain for southern states.

La Ninas contributed to the worst drought in Texas history, in the 1950s. Nearly three-quarters of the state is currently in what the U.S. Drought Monitor classifies as the worst stage of drought.

The Climate Prediction Center is calling for neutral conditions through fall but "neutral or La Nina equally likely thereafter."

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

KXAN is also reporting that APD has issued a warning that coyotes are out killing more cats and small dogs because of the drought. So keep those cats and small dogs inside!

We have a dog, and while she is not small by any means (45lbs) and we always go outside with her when she wants to go out into the back yard, we do our best to make sure she doesn't have to go out after dark. If she does need to go out we go turn on the outside lights then go outside first with flashlights and make sure there are no critters in the yard like skunks, possums etc. We haven't seen coyotes in our yard tho.
0 likes   

~FlipFlopGirl~
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#828 Postby ~FlipFlopGirl~ » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

I don't know about coyotes- I know roaches are trying to invade my yard and now my home- I moved the dog food from the tree they are nested in and now they trying to get inside- - I sprayed the tree one night and say about 20 or so fly up the tree- So creepy- I smelt a skunk very close - And we do not live in a rural area- I have definetly noticed a change in the animals hanging around this summer :eek:
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#829 Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 pm

We live in the city (Austin) and have had skunks and possums in the yard and have seen armadillos and a snapping turtle ambling down our sidewalk. Feral hogs were on surrounding streets till they invaded the nearby primary school and started chasing the kids walking to school. Then Fish n Wildlife took care of them.

Two years ago and last year we had skunks in the yard every night during the summer - we haven't seen sign of any this summer. I think our yard is just gotten so bad the grubs have moved out!

We used to hear coyotes when we first moved in, but they moved on as more houses were built.

A neighbor said he saw a mountain lion/cougar on a trail about a mile away but since I haven't heard anything else I don't know what to think. They just aren't seen here. But there is that one that migrated from N Dakota to Conn tho. I do believe that's what he thinks he saw.

We haven't seen more bugs outside - we are careful to not keep any water out there even tho some people do for the birds.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#830 Postby somethingfunny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:20 am

:sun: :double: :sun: :double: :sun: :double: :sun:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#831 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 am

Saw a couple of interesting items on Twitter this morning, including:

* As of 8:30 a.m., demand for power in Texas is exceeding the forecasted load by ERCOT. Should this trend continue, I bet we'll get to that emergency level 2B quicker than we did yesterday afternoon. Brownouts or blackouts will be likely.

* Folks at SMU were told there will be no warning if the power is shut off. For those of us working on computers, save your docs early and often!
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#832 Postby gboudx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:31 am

Rolling blackouts will be a nightmare should they occur near rush hour if traffic lights are shut off. As soon as they say they are starting rolling blackouts, I'm leaving.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#833 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 am

gboudx wrote:Rolling blackouts will be a nightmare should they occur near rush hour if traffic lights are shut off. As soon as they say they are starting rolling blackouts, I'm leaving.

Yeah, I am thinking it will definitely happen. I mean this heat is worse your way (Dallas-Fort Worth) than ours ( and that is not saying much). I have my A/C on 77 with a dehumidifier and that is all that is running. I am trying at my house. :)
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#834 Postby gboudx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am

Portastorm wrote:Saw a couple of interesting items on Twitter this morning, including:

* As of 8:30 a.m., demand for power in Texas is exceeding the forecasted load by ERCOT. Should this trend continue, I bet we'll get to that emergency level 2B quicker than we did yesterday afternoon. Brownouts or blackouts will be likely.

* Folks at SMU were told there will be no warning if the power is shut off. For those of us working on computers, save your docs early and often!

If you don't mind, what Twitter accounts did you see those on? I want to give our lab manager a head's up.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#835 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 am

gboudx wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Saw a couple of interesting items on Twitter this morning, including:

If you don't mind, what Twitter accounts did you see those on? I want to give our lab manager a head's up.

I'm just using Twitter and doing a search for "Ercot" ... all kinds of interesting stuff comes up! Make sure you search for "all" and not just the "top" tweets. It may take a minute or two extra but it is worth wading through the chaff for the good stuff you might not otherwise see.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#836 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am

The actual Ercot Twitter account is this: @ERCOT_ISO
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#837 Postby gboudx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks. Most recent I saw is:

ERCOT_ISO ERCOT
Reminder - Consumers asked to conserve electricity 3-7 pm ercot.com/news/press_rel…

pct4constable Precinct 4 Constable
ERCOT is reporting normal conditions and there are no alerts at this time. Conservation is still encouraged.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#838 Postby gboudx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Aug 05 2011 15:15:33 CST At 15:10, ERCOT AT EEA 1 - RESERVES BELOW 2300 MW. NO ROTATING OUTAGES AT THIS TIME.

This is the level where they ask businesses and consumers to conserve electricity by turning off unnecessary lights, appliances, etc. Next step is asking factories to shutdown.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#839 Postby Shoshana » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Austin: Friday Day 52 100+

Day 20 in a row. 100+

Day 10 105+

Day 5 in a row 105+

106 at Mabry (record) and 103 Bergstrom (not record)

You can also see ERCOT messages here

And track Austin blackouts here
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#840 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm

12zECMWF&GFS are in excellent agreement on the 500mb pattern over Texas the next 7 days....anybody care to guess what both models show???

The Ridge Rules!! :cry:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”