Texas Fall-2014

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#21 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Was thinking today how much I miss thunderstorms. Seems like they happened a lot back in the 80s. For Austin, that is. In the last five years, seriously, I bet we've had less than two dozen.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#22 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:49 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:I have a question, So I usually have very bad allergies, but the Summer is usually the only time I don't have them, and in the past 2 weeks I've had a Sinus and Ear infection, which I don't usually get until winter or early spring. I can usually go through the whole fall with out getting sick. Is this just a coincidence or is is a possible sign for an early Fall and or Winter?

I think it depends on what allergies you have. For me its ragweed (if higher than usual) in fall and mountain cedar (nasty vermins!) In winter. Ive struggled a few times past couple of weeks to ragweed.

EURO has some chilly air over North America in the long range with deep mid continent trof

I have too many to count, but most of them usually only occur in late fall-winter and sometimes Spring, I rarely get sick once in the Summer much less 3 times. (I also got sick in July)

Ragweed is my biggest enemy, I've been miserable. It is possible for you to develop an allergy to things you were not allergic to before. I was not allergic to ragweed until about 7 years ago. Now it's the worst of all my allergies.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#23 Postby dhweather » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Portastorm wrote:Was thinking today how much I miss thunderstorms. Seems like they happened a lot back in the 80s. For Austin, that is. In the last five years, seriously, I bet we've had less than two dozen.

Huh? It actually rained regularly in Texas at some point in time?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#24 Postby dhweather » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I have a question, So I usually have very bad allergies, but the Summer is usually the only time I don't have them, and in the past 2 weeks I've had a Sinus and Ear infection, which I don't usually get until winter or early spring. I can usually go through the whole fall with out getting sick. Is this just a coincidence or is is a possible sign for an early Fall and or Winter?

I don't think so. It's ragweed season, cedar season, and just overall not good for allergies season.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby dhweather » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm

From the FWD AFD, sums it up well:

THE UPPER LEVEL HIGH WILL REMAIN OVER THE REGION THROUGH THE
WEEKEND BUT WILL WEAKEN A BIT BY THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THIS SHOULD
ALLOW HIGH TEMPS TO COOL A DEGREE OR TWO BY FRIDAY...BUT STILL
THEY WILL BE ABOVE NORMAL.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#26 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 pm

As in my post earlier today, the EURO and other longterm guidance looks a little better today. Still within the 7 day period not much but 7-10 there is a massing (seasonal shift) of colder air pooling in NA (Hello there MR -EPO). Some kind of front will likely make it down here next week. With 93E in the EPAC getting it's act together (should be in the Baja vicinity) we have a tropical connection. Will need to wait a few more days to see if the two features interact and fine tune.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#27 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:As in my post earlier today, the EURO and other longterm guidance looks a little better today. Still within the 7 day period not much but 7-10 there is a massing (seasonal shift) of colder air pooling in NA (Hello there MR -EPO). Some kind of front will likely make it down here next week. With 93E in the EPAC getting it's act together (should be in the Baja vicinity) we have a tropical connection. Will need to wait a few more days to see if the two features interact and fine tune.

Ok, you have me intrigued. Will it make it to Houston? :)
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#28 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Ok, you have me intrigued. Will it make it to Houston? :)

I can't say for sure yet, it's beyond reasonable time frame. What I can point is that this air mass is currently sitting in Alaska and just above. If you have access to detailed EURO you can see the anomalous below normal temperatures barrel down the eastern side of the Rockies (Greatly modified) of course and looks substantial as a front. Of course when it's nearing Texas you leave truncation, the run ends. It's been doing this for several runs. But regardless something like that usually features a good front. Occuring as 93E/Norbert to be is re curving in from the Baja.

Keep your hopes alive :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#29 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 pm

Portastorm wrote:Was thinking today how much I miss thunderstorms. Seems like they happened a lot back in the 80s. For Austin, that is. In the last five years, seriously, I bet we've had less than two dozen.

Me too! I remember growing up in the 80s in San Antonio (down the street) seeing storms with regularity in Spring and Fall (once every week or so), dumping an inch or so of rain at a time. Now it seems like the storms come once every couple weeks (if we're lucky), usually a month or so in between. When it does rain, it seems like it comes down several inches of rain all at once, with the majority running off. Then it is dry for two months with maybe a trace of rain in between.

I don't know if the PDO has any correlation with the pattern back then compared to now(?). I'd like to think the pattern of regular storms will get back to how it used to be back in the day. It bums me out to think about it. :( But like Ntxw mentioned, we have to keep our hopes alive! :wink:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#30 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 am

From a DFW perspective, it seems like it's been a few years that we've been on a watch for a tornado outbreak. While we had some activity earlier in the year, they weren't really tied into a widespread outbreak type of event.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#31 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 am

weatherdude1108 wrote: I don't know if the PDO has any correlation with the pattern back then compared to now(?). I'd like to think the pattern of regular storms will get back to how it used to be back in the day. It bums me out to think about it. :( But like Ntxw mentioned, we have to keep our hopes alive! :wink:

The 80s were predominately +PDO as was early 90s. Longest stretch of it since the 40s. Very wet times when you are in those decadal stretches of +PDO, evident by the two back to back El Nino's (haven't one a couplet since). The East Pacific Oscillation was also predominately negative, thus the many cold winters.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby cheezyWXguy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:

From a DFW perspective, it seems like it's been a few years that we've been on a watch for a tornado outbreak. While we had some activity earlier in the year, they weren't really tied into a widespread outbreak type of event.

I disagree. This year has been quiet, but last year featured an EF4 near Granbury if I remember correctly, and the previous year featured a mini-outbreak with tornadoes in Arlington, Forney and a few other places.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 pm

I got two tenths of an inch of rain around 5:45pm this afternoon. :) First rain in a week. Got a half inch last week.

Went from 96 to 86. Now it is 80 at 8:30pm. Hope we get a repeat tomorrow.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Ntxw wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote: I don't know if the PDO has any correlation with the pattern back then compared to now(?). I'd like to think the pattern of regular storms will get back to how it used to be back in the day. It bums me out to think about it. :( But like Ntxw mentioned, we have to keep our hopes alive! :wink:

The 80s were predominately +PDO as was early 90s. Longest stretch of it since the 40s. Very wet times when you are in those decadal stretches of +PDO, evident by the two back to back El Nino's (haven't one a couplet since). The East Pacific Oscillation was also predominately negative, thus the many cold winters.

Warm PDO was from 1976 to 1998. Warm PDO is wet for Texas. Droughts can happen in warm PDO, but they are short lived compared to cool PDO. Also, a cool AMO is a factor, which happened in the 1980s and early 1990s.
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby Rgv20 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 am

So far this morning have gotten just over an inch of rain courtesy of Dolly! :D
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#36 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 am

Rgv20 wrote:So far this morning have gotten just over an inch of rain courtesy of Dolly! :D

Hello Dolly? :)
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#37 Postby Portastorm » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:I got two tenths of an inch of rain around 5:45pm this afternoon. :) First rain in a week. Got a half inch last week.

Went from 96 to 86. Now it is 80 at 8:30pm. Hope we get a repeat tomorrow.

The Portastorm Weather Center in scenic southwest Travis County actually lucked out yesterday and picked up close to that amount of rain. Had a strong little cell develop and move right over us. I am grateful. :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Fall-2014

#38 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm

A few waves of rain will likely be moving across south central Texas this afternoon. The yellow outlined area has the best chance of rain where some lucky areas could see over 1 inch of rain today.

0 likes   

opticsguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby opticsguy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Are you guys seeing the GFS 10 days out? Mid-30's to high 20s from Des Moines northward. Considering how late the planting was this year, it could ruin what would have been a record year. When I was in WI in late July there was lots of corn only knee high.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#40 Postby Portastorm » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Yeah, our local NWS office (Austin/San Antonio) referenced that 12z GFS run in its afternoon forecast discussion. It would drop our lows here in south central Texas into the 60s with high temps just above 80. That would quite a front by our standards for mid September. We usually see fronts like that late in the month or early October. Will be interested to see how it all plays out.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”