Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
austin06
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#1381 Postby austin06 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:44 pm

We got 1/2 inch last week so not much to speak of but we'll take anything now.

Our friends nearby have a rain water collection system and are having water delivered for the 4th time this summer - first time they've needed delivery since they put it in six years ago.

If we go into fall and winter with not much precip it's not going to be good. At least it looks like they backed off some of the highs slightly for next week, but I'm very much over summer.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1382 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 pm

So close, yet so far.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1383 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:05 am

not Texas but yall should check out Lane approaching Hawaii... crazy
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1384 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:05 am

Cat 5 in Gulf...well maybe not the gulf but Cat 5 near Hawaii.

#ELNino
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1385 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:30 am

Ntxw wrote:Cat 5 in Gulf...well maybe not the gulf but Cat 5 near Hawaii.

#ELNino

if anyone was skeptical of El Nino Lane is pretty much screaming it.. :lol:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1386 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:45 am

Brent wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Cat 5 in Gulf...well maybe not the gulf but Cat 5 near Hawaii.

#ELNino

if anyone was skeptical of El Nino Lane is pretty much screaming it.. :lol:

Yeah, it usually takes El Nino like forcing and or +PMM/PDO to put something that survives the path into Hawaii. A very warm central Pacific helps. Regardless of what the Ocean reading is we are very much feeling the coupling in the atmosphere. A truly busy EPAC season is usually indicative of a favorable El Nino like state like 2014 and 2015. A modoki El Nino is in the works.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1387 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Interesting blog Bob Rose posted about hurricanes in August. Mentioned it's possible we go the rest of August without hurricane development, but it doesn't mean we're off the hook after August. Anyway. Most exciting thing going on during these never-ending hot and dry, periodic rain-teasing doldrums.

https://www.lcra.org/water/river-and-we ... ather.aspx
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1388 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, we are about to be reminded that summer is far from over the next 7 days or so. Crap.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1389 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:05 pm

gpsnowman wrote:Unfortunately, we are about to be reminded that summer is far from over the next 7 days or so. Crap.

Boooooo :grr:
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1390 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:34 pm

I haven't added the year to date total just yet for my location but I can tell you now that it's not a whole lot above 2011, luckily it should end up more but at least for my plot of ground, this will be a very much below normal year for rainfall unless we really get some hefty amounts before the end of the year.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1391 Postby Haris » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:34 pm

While the thread is dead here , why not light it up with Lane! Here are my graphics I made earlier today! :)
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1392 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Talk about bad luck any way you slice it for Hawaii. Just terrible.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#1393 Postby starsfan65 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Haris wrote:Image

While the thread is dead here , why not light it up with Lane! Here are my graphics I made earlier today! :)

It is been quiet in here lately.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1394 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
Haris wrote:While the thread is dead here , why not light it up with Lane! Here are my graphics I made earlier today! :)

Nice graphics

only so much you can say about hot and dry in Late August

A year ago today Harvey reformed and the rest is history
Last edited by Brent on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1395 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm

starsfan65 wrote:

You could hear a pen drop that’s how quiet it is. There’s literally nothing to talk about. I keep checking the models with each passing run and for the past several days now they haven’t given me anything to be excited about. This weather pattern is absolutely boring and disgusting. I guess I should feel fortunate though because yesterday we had a very random pop up shower that literally formed one mile away from my house and slowly drifted my way and we ended up getting a quarter inch out of it. That’s the first rain we’ve had at my house here in the Wharton/El Campo area this month.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1396 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

You could hear a pen drop that’s how quiet it is. There’s literally nothing to talk about. I keep checking the models with each passing run and for the past several days now they haven’t given me anything to be excited about. This weather pattern is absolutely boring and disgusting. I guess I should feel fortunate though because yesterday we had a very random pop up shower that literally formed one mile away from my house and slowly drifted my way and we ended up getting a quarter inch out of it. That’s the first rain we’ve had at my house here in the Wharton/El Campo area this month.

The last couple late afternoons/early evenings, we've had nearby heavy thundershowers. In fact driving home to the north early yesterday evening around 7:30-8:00, I could see dark clouds in the distance towards northern Williamson County, towards Florence. A lightning bolt came down in the distance once.

We cooled off about 15 degrees on Monday, but didn't cool off yesterday. We did not receive even one drop of rain, either day. I don't think it's going to even TEASE us again for a while, much less rain water from the sky.
:wall: :sprinkler: :break:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1397 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:It is been quiet in here lately.

The last couple late afternoons/early evenings, we've had nearby heavy thundershowers. In fact driving home to the north early yesterday evening around 7:30-8:00, I could see dark clouds in the distance towards northern Williamson County, towards Florence. A lightning bolt came down in the distance once.

We cooled off about 15 degrees on Monday, but didn't cool off yesterday. We did not receive even one drop of rain, either day. I don't think it's going to even TEASE us again for a while, much less rain water from the sky.
:wall: :sprinkler: :break:

To me the only thing worth talking about at this time is the wave about to move off the coast of Africa. The ridge is forecasted to be stout over the east coast in 10 days where both the Euro and GFS have this feature crossing the Florida Straits into the Gulf and the steering pattern would likely bring this towards the W Gulf, but that is a very long ways out. There’s just nothing else to really talk about imo.
1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1398 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:22 am

00z Models were ugly for DFW, basically no rain over the next two weeks...
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1399 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 am

Please let this be the last spell of heat for the summer. I think we are all ready for fall. #neversummer
3 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1400 Postby Haris » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am

They are some places here in CTX that haven’t seen rain since July 9th . Also stage 1 water restrictions for Austin go into effect Aug 27th ! Rip
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”