U.S. Drought Monitor

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#101 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 pm

gboudx wrote:I'm in that small white part in NTX where there is no drought. Vegetation is still lush and green. We're fortunate.

That really floors me that your area truly isn't in a drought at all. The rest of Texas is suffering severely and the exceptional area continues to grow by leaps and bounds. I'm almost giddy right now because we got 0.32" of rain in a storm this afternoon, the first rain we have gotten in 3 weeks.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#102 Postby Stephanie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
gboudx wrote:I'm in that small white part in NTX where there is no drought. Vegetation is still lush and green. We're fortunate.

That really floors me that your area truly isn't in a drought at all. The rest of Texas is suffering severely and the exceptional area continues to grow by leaps and bounds. I'm almost giddy right now because we got 0.32" of rain in a storm this afternoon, the first rain we have gotten in 3 weeks.

It seems to me that once the rain does start, it will come back more regularly. Hopefully, you will all BENEFIT from a tropical system that drops a lot of rain and little wind in your area.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#103 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Stephanie wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:

It seems to me that once the rain does start, it will come back more regularly. Hopefully, you will all BENEFIT from a tropical system that drops a lot of rain and little wind in your area.

A tropical system of some sort is about all that could break this drought at this point.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: U.S. Drought Monitor

#104 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

You guys in Texas need all the rain you can get, hopefully some comes soon
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#105 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:43 pm

vbhoutex wrote:A tropical system of some sort is about all that could break this drought at this point.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Good thing it is hurricane season. Hopefully we get a semi-slow moving one and one that isn't very strong.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby Shoshana » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:02 am

12 week animated graphic

looks like we lost that last bit of white again...
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#107 Postby jasons2k » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 pm

:uarrow:
I hope we never see this again in our lifetimes. I know people in Arkansas and they got SO much rain this past Spring - their backyards were a swamp for months - you know it's incredibly severe when even they tip into drought mode.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#108 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:54 am

:uarrow: I agree. This drought is just awful. I hope it ends sooner rather than later.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#109 Postby southerngale » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I posted this in the SE TX thread the other day. I meant to post it in here.

The latest Drought Monitor is just unreal. The entire state of Texas is in a drought. 91% of the state is in the worst 2 drought categories and 72% is in the worst category. And it's not like Texas is a small state!

One year ago, 83% of the state was not in a drought at all and the few who were, were in the milder categories.

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby Stephanie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm

The ONLY thing that's going to help Texas is a Tropical system. It's good that there has been rain popping up recently but it's going to take a lot more than pop ups.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#111 Postby southerngale » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:07 pm

And it gets even worse... Image

0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#112 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:46 pm

What's worse than "unreal"? SG, we're going to run out of adjectives soon!

As I posted in another thread ... I drove back on I-20 mainly to south-central Texas from North Carolina this past weekend. Talk about a diverse cross section of flora/fauna. Lots of lush green as far west as eastern Louisiana. After that, heading west, it progressively gets worse. Even in Texas, areas like Marshall/Kilgore were bad but nothing compared to east-central/central/south-central.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#113 Postby southerngale » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 pm

I know! I didn't even bother using an adjective this time. I guess we shouldn't have said unreal already. I guess you don't really expect it to get worse when that seems impossible.

On the bright side, it's currently storming here. Gonna need a lot more of this to snap the drought, though.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby gboudx » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

"Mostest, unrealest drought" should be next. Beyond that, it gets into cuss words inappropriate for this board.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#115 Postby southerngale » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:34 pm

haha gboudx
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby wx247 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:21 am

We feel for you folks up here. We are also creeping into the same boat you guys are in. We are in a level D1 here in far SW MO. I have only had .4" of rain since July 1st. The corn crop in this area is gone and the forecast for the next week doesn't look promising either.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#117 Postby Turtle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:23 am

I'm in Marshall and have been in the D4 drought for two weeks now. Patches of grass are yellow and some of the trees have been dieing. Also, for the past 3 weeks, the power seems to go out every day. :grr:
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Shoshana » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:22 am

lost track of how long we've been in D4. Seems like forever.
0 likes   

gmr548
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#119 Postby gmr548 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:35 pm

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

NOAA has the drought in TX/OK persisting through the end of October :( . At least the rest of the US has forecasted improvement.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Shoshana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am

94.27% of Texas is now D3-D4 w 78.26 in D4

.07 is not in drought. I think it's a sliver of The Valley. They've had some rain from a couple of tropical systems.

LA is slowly getting drier too - 100% in D0-D4 with more shifting to D4

NM is 100% D0-D4

OK is 100% D0-D4 w 92.88% in D3-D4 and 64.70 in D4
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”