Texas Summer 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2018

#1001 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:16 am

Not much rain, radar showed what looked like a heavy shower over FTW, however I haven't seen a drop fall as of yet and the radar is drying up pretty quick.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1002 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 am

Ntxw wrote:Arctic front..I repeat arctic front in midsummer! Snarl traffic, the people are outside, the power outages...breaking news....

The rain has largely missed the airport but pleasant temps.

How are you guys holding up in the frigid temps across NE TX (low-mid 70s)? Temps are approaching 90 here in Houston at 10:45am, so we are doing OK. Could use a little bit of rain tonight/tomorrow. Had 4-5 inches of rain on the 4th of July, but nothing since then.
2 likes   

BrokenGlass
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1003 Postby BrokenGlass » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am

wxman57 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Arctic front..I repeat arctic front in midsummer! Snarl traffic, the people are outside, the power outages...breaking news....

How are you guys holding up in the frigid temps across NE TX (low-mid 70s)? Temps are approaching 90 here in Houston at 10:45am, so we are doing OK. Could use a little bit of rain tonight/tomorrow. Had 4-5 inches of rain on the 4th of July, but nothing since then.

It is simply glorious, thanks for asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1004 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 am

Confidence increasing for wet wx action in ATX
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1005 Postby Ralph's Weather » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Things are not looking good for Tyler. No rain so far and models do not look good for tonight and tomorrow. Hope we can get lucky though.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1006 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Pretty much sums things up. I've now had 0.19" of rainfall since June 24th :cry:
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1007 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 pm

That rain would be very good for C Tx. I say even here in Houston over the summer. "Happy to get whatever we can get," (as for rain) in the summer. For you guys, rain is even more important, so that would be great.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1008 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:10 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Had my wool coat on and everything. My car heater was on to the max, you seemed to have lost control of the thermostat briefly there Mr. HeatMiser.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1009 Postby Haris » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Knew it . HIRES guidance bringing zipp now to CTX... \

Oh great , another 10 days of no rain .

Not any surprise tho , Summers are always like this . dry and miserable . its just me getting increasingly annoyed each yr since 2006. LOL
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

fendie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1010 Postby fendie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

The high-res models have 6 hours to decide how widespread the rain in central Texas is early tomorrow morning. The best chances look to be between 5-10 am.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1011 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Haris wrote:Knew it . HIRES guidance bringing zipp now to CTX... \

Not any surprise tho , Summers are always like this . dry and miserable . its just me getting increasingly annoyed each yr since 2006. LOL

:bored:
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1012 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 pm

It dried up before getting to me today of course.

I only received .07 in the entire month of July. Yes, summers are typically hot and dry, but this is ridiculous.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1013 Postby Brent » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:56 pm

really thought it was gonna rain more in DFW... kind of disappointed

Now back to endless hot and dry... :roll:
2 likes   
#neversummer

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1014 Postby FunNestlé » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Haris wrote:Knew it . HIRES guidance bringing zipp now to CTX... \

Have you looked at any of the models recently?

2009 onwards is when things took a turn for the worst this century. The Eastern US keeps getting stuck in a permanent trough, preventing the patterns that bring reliable rains to Texas (especially the Southern half of the state).
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1015 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:29 pm

Last year was probably the only summer where i remember a chance of rain almost every single day. T storms popping up in the houston area everyday. Most of the time they are dry and miserable.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1016 Postby Brent » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:40 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Last year was probably the only summer where i remember a chance of rain almost every single day. T storms popping up in the houston area everyday. Most of the time they are dry and miserable.

last summer really was the best... I never even really thought it was a true summer most of it lol

Of course we paid for it after the hurricanes when the heat was just annoying that late
0 likes   
#neversummer

FunNestlé
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1017 Postby FunNestlé » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:55 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Last year was probably the only summer where i remember a chance of rain almost every single day. T storms popping up in the houston area everyday.

It was like that for much of the 2000s decade, which was the best decade for summer storms since the 70s (totals + frequency).

This current decade has featured more summer dry spells overall, but 2010, 2012, and 2014 featured decent frequency and heaviness of storms. Even years like 2015 and 2016 that featured those protracted July dry spells still had wetter conditions for the other three summer months (June, August and September), making for overall wet summer conditions.

Most of the time they are dry and miserable.

Nope. You are far more likely to have a summer like 2007 in Houston than a summer like 2011. And even 2011 still had a decent amount of storm/cloud cover during July.

The way averages plays out, nowhere in the state except the Golden Triangle beats Houston when it comes to summer thunderstorms.

Brent wrote:last summer really was the best... I never even really thought it was a true summer most of it lol

Of course we paid for it after the hurricanes when the heat was just annoying that late

The dry summers in Texas are associated with wacky high amplitude jet stream patterns, wherein you have a ridge in the West/Southwest, and an Eastern trough diving as far south as the Piedmont. That means you have westerly influence carrying into low latitudes, not reflective of real summer weather patterns at all.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1018 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:58 am

Heard thunder earlier. Now watching those storms skirt to my west. Smells like rain outside, but no rain. :(

But, where it is raining in the hill country (KXAN alluded to it), they need it much worse, since they have a worse drought situation. Small silver lining.

Otherwise, may get drops to spot up the car windows.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1019 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am

I posted this in the Texas Winter thread, and I know this is anecdotal, but I live in a heavy tree-lined neighborhood, and we're seeing quite a bit of deciduous trees dropping leaves already. Anyone else seeing this?
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1020 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 am

FunNestlé wrote:
Brent wrote:last summer really was the best... I never even really thought it was a true summer most of it lol

The dry summers in Texas are associated with wacky high amplitude jet stream patterns, wherein you have a ridge in the West/Southwest, and an Eastern trough diving as far south as the Piedmont. That means you have westerly influence carrying into low latitudes, not reflective of real summer weather patterns at all.

We could discuss this forever but the avg center of high pressure at the 500 MB level for the summer months is near the El Paso. With a 5H near El Paso, a trough is likely in the East. Relatively. It's the weather though. Sooooo many factors at play. It's never just ONE thing that creates a major system or characteristic for the atmosphere. Why I love it.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”