Great Plains, Midwest, & Deep South Storm Season 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Great Plains, Midwest, & Deep South Storm Season 2021

#1321 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue May 18, 2021 10:52 pm

Through May 18 I have had a grand huge total of 1 severe thunderstorm warning here, 0 enhanced risks (although there was one just to my south, same day as the severe warning), and 0 slight risks or higher so far in May (2 borderline days just to my south, but neither produced here). Still holding out hope for the end of the month but we're on a crazy inactive pace this year... There has never been a single May that I know of that didn't have at least 1 enhanced risk here (even 2018 and 2020 at least had 1) Maybe we can get a nice MCS season this year. I don't root for huge outbreaks but some slight risks and an occasional wind driven enhanced would be nice instead of a completely dead pattern... Everything has been either west, south, or east
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1322 Postby Brent » Tue May 18, 2021 11:36 pm

Weather Dude wrote:Through May 18 I have had a grand huge total of 1 severe thunderstorm warning here, 0 enhanced risks (although there was one just to my south, same day as the severe warning), and 0 slight risks or higher so far in May (2 borderline days just to my south, but neither produced here). Still holding out hope for the end of the month but we're on a crazy inactive pace this year... There has never been a single May that I know of that didn't have at least 1 enhanced risk here (even 2018 and 2020 at least had 1) Maybe we can get a nice MCS season this year. I don't root for huge outbreaks but some slight risks and an occasional wind driven enhanced would be nice instead of a completely dead pattern... Everything has been either west, south, or east

the clock is ticking too... next week is looking pretty summer-lite from what I've seen
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1323 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 19, 2021 4:30 am

Brent wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:Through May 18 I have had a grand huge total of 1 severe thunderstorm warning here, 0 enhanced risks (although there was one just to my south, same day as the severe warning), and 0 slight risks or higher so far in May (2 borderline days just to my south, but neither produced here). Still holding out hope for the end of the month but we're on a crazy inactive pace this year... There has never been a single May that I know of that didn't have at least 1 enhanced risk here (even 2018 and 2020 at least had 1) Maybe we can get a nice MCS season this year. I don't root for huge outbreaks but some slight risks and an occasional wind driven enhanced would be nice instead of a completely dead pattern... Everything has been either west, south, or east

the clock is ticking too... next week is looking pretty summer-lite from what I've seen

Yeah models have been pretty consistent on that. Looks like June is starting early this year. Hopefully we'll get some nice MCSs
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1324 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 19, 2021 10:23 am

My CAPE Alert System will not be active for a few days, these setups right now are odd . . .

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1325 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 19, 2021 10:27 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yeah models have been pretty consistent on that. Looks like June is starting early this year. Hopefully we'll get some nice MCSs

The CFSv2 model has been going crazy lately for Late May & Early June . . .

2013 was mostly an inactive storm season for May until May 19th, 20th, & 31st . . .

(And today marks 8 years since the Shawnee EF4)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1326 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

The CFSv2 model has been going crazy lately for Late May & Early June . . .

2013 was mostly an inactive storm season for May until May 19th, 20th, & 31st . . .

(And today marks 8 years since the Shawnee EF4)

There's been a ton of crazy long range runs this year and none of them have happened
2 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1327 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm

12z GEFS is hinting something by the end of this month . . .

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#1328 Postby wxman22 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Iceresistance wrote:12z GEFS is hinting something by the end of this month . . .

https://s3.gifyu.com/images/GEFSSGP_con_meanscp_228.png

https://s3.gifyu.com/images/GEFSSGP_con_meanscp_252.png

I think you're wish casting at this point... models often this time of year show favorable patterns for severe weather in the long range, but it doesn't mean much really until you're within the short range.As parameters are likely to change.Theirs a reason why the SPC focuses more on the1-3 Day forecast,than the extended...
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1329 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 19, 2021 2:48 pm

wxman22 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:12z GEFS is hinting something by the end of this month . . .

I think you're wish casting at this point... models often this time of year show favorable patterns for severe weather in the long range, but it doesn't mean much really until you're within the short range.As parameters are likely to change.Theirs a reason why the SPC focuses more on the 1-3 Day forecast,than the extended...

I don't normally see higher SCP without glitched portions on the GEFS this far out, it's been showing that for quite some time . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1330 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 19, 2021 2:56 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
wxman22 wrote:

I think you're wish casting at this point... models often this time of year show favorable patterns for severe weather in the long range, but it doesn't mean much really until you're within the short range.As parameters are likely to change.Theirs a reason why the SPC focuses more on the 1-3 Day forecast,than the extended...

I don't normally see higher SCP without glitched portions on the GEFS this far out, it's been showing that for quite some time . . .

It's literally been showing good parameters for phantom systems in the long range the entire season... This is why we can't and I don't take long range models seriously
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1331 Postby Brent » Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
wxman22 wrote:

It's literally been showing good parameters for phantom systems in the long range the entire season... This is why we can't and I don't take long range models seriously

Lol they couldn't even predict rain this week :spam:
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1332 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 pm

Some big anniversaries coming up in the next few days.
Tomorrow- 8 years since Moore EF5
Saturday- 10 years since Joplin EF5
Monday- 10 years since 5/24 outbreak

Also will officially be 8 years since the last EF5, although there certainly has been EF5-strength tors since then
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1333 Postby Iceresistance » Thu May 20, 2021 2:51 am

Large tornado reported & confirmed on the ground in Minnesota Yeasterday . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1334 Postby Iceresistance » Thu May 20, 2021 9:30 am

6z GEFS & GFS seems to be on par with something near the end of this month, News 9 (KWTV) has also mentioned it . . .

GEFS

GFS

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1335 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu May 20, 2021 11:55 am

6th straight day of a marginal risk here. None of them have had good storms.

Except early morning Saturday but I didn't even get it since I was at work
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1336 Postby Iceresistance » Thu May 20, 2021 11:56 am

Weather Dude wrote:6th straight day of a marginal risk here. None of them have had good storms.

Except early morning Saturday but I didn't even get it since I was at work

Been raining almost nonstop since around 6 AM in town . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#1337 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Thu May 20, 2021 12:55 pm

The GEFS/GFS has been attempting to show a severe weather outbreak over Oklahoma in fantasy range for a stupid amount of runs at this point. If it ever advances in time beyond the 230/240hr marks, then you can start to investigate it more seriously.

More interesting is the hints that a severe weather outbreak could be on the way for the Mid-Ohio River Valley and parts of the Midwest sometime next week. Still more to be seen in terms of details and if it will even materialize at all, but worth keeping an eye on since that's in the mid-range.
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1338 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri May 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Sunday has potential to be one of the bigger plains events of the year so far. Will be interesting to see what the CAMs show when they get in range...

I'm also getting a little more confident in an active week to close out May. I'm a little skeptical still considering how every single decent looking system in the mid range hasn't produced here in my area this year so far, but models have been pretty consistent so far on a potential multi-day event later next week. Still could change of course.
2 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1339 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun May 23, 2021 12:33 am

Should see decent setups the majority of the days for the rest of this month. I'm still skeptical of anything big for the eastern half of OK considering how the year has gone however I'm starting to get on board now that NWS Tulsa is mentioning severe potential. They're generally pretty spot on most of the time, including 4/9 which was our only event this year so far (was a general T-storm on SPC outlook all the way until the day of). They are mentioning Thurs 5/27 as the one to watch right now and the models agree so I'm setting that as a target date. I still can't fully trust it until it's 2-3 days out and even then can't really know for sure until the day of but it looks like we may finally get something this week.

Also a disclaimer: I root for storms but not huge outbreaks, so hopefully we won't see anything huge.

As far as tomorrow goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see a wind-driven enhanced risk. Should be mostly linear but anything that can stay discrete for a while will have a strong tornado threat.

EDIT: Yep enhanced risk it is.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1340 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Not a huge number of reports for today so far but a respectable amount considering it's still early in the season for the northern plains.

The rest of this week looks to remain active, especially Wed onward. Won't likely know how big each day's threat is until the day of due to model differences and morning convection from the previous day. NAM has an interesting look for Tues in NE OK but HRRR and SPC currently have the action out west. I gotta go with HRRR for now since it's been pretty good this year but I've seen crazy things happen here and since it's May I don't really want to discount the NAM solution completely although it looks unlikely for now. The Day 2 discussion should be fairly interesting though.

Thurs 5/27 looks like it has a chance to have the most potential out of the next several days but it's still a ways out and there will be a lot of different determining factors. I doubt SPC highlights it for Day 4 tomorrow since models differ although I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Looks to be an active week and a solid one for chasers. Hopefully any tors remain over the open fields.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”