Texas Fall 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Fall 2019

#1421 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am

OK, you've all had your winter weather for the season. Can I have summer back? I'll be heading to Chicago in 4 weeks, perhaps it'll be warmer up there...
3 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1422 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 am

21 this morning IMBY, colder than forecast. Some winters we can’t get this cold in January.

Wish I had a snow machine...it would have done great last night. Lol
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1423 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 am

Just talked to my dad in SA. He reports that they got some light freezing rain earlier this morning, with some ice on the grill and elevated objects. Impressive for mid November! Hope it's a sign of things to come this winter!
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1424 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 am

DFW got down to 22F which is 1 shy of the daily record and 3 from the all time November record.

Tomorrow morning will have calm winds but to beat lows will need a less modification of air mass in place.

Thru Friday morning will have chances at freezes if it can beat the forecast but 5 freezes guaranteed in the books.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1425 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 am

19 at my place this morning. Coworker in Georgetown said their schools are delayed this morning.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1426 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:48 am

Cool to see Central and South TX get a little bit of frozen precip, the reason NTX gets shut out is not enough moisture on the backside of these arctic fronts, and we dry out pretty fast. We need the arctic front followed by a upper level disturbance, and ample moisture to get decent precip chances. We had pretty heavy drizzle yesterday as the front pushed through, but by the time it was cold enough to support freezing precip we were dry slotted and what moisture was left evaporated before reaching the ground.
4 likes   

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1427 Postby hriverajr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 am

Got a bit of sleet visible on exposed surfaces this morning in Del Rio, Hopefully this is not a one off for this winter season :)
4 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1428 Postby Portastorm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:06 am

You North Texans ... don't get too upset. We really didn't get much at all with the freezing rain/sleet mix. It was enough to ice over a few spots and accumulate a wee bit on exposed surfaces. That was it. You really didn't miss much. But hey ... it was something.

Looks like the pattern relaxes now into December. Hopefully the pattern we've been in the last few weeks will return later in December or January. If it does, it should deliver the goods and then some.
4 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1429 Postby Portastorm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 am

Ralph's Weather wrote:19 at my place this morning. Coworker in Georgetown said their schools are delayed this morning.

Yeah, all the ISDs down here did delayed openings. There really wasn't much in terms of bad roads or bridges. I'm wondering if the frigid wind chills played a role in their decision-making as the little kiddies waiting on the bus would have been frozen! Of course there are always the legal concerns that if one mishap happens ... folks will sue the ISD and say "why didn't you delay opening or close for the day?" I was told that's a big reason why so many ISDs now are quick to pull the trigger.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1430 Postby hriverajr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 am

Portastorm wrote:You North Texans ... don't get too upset. We really didn't get much at all with the freezing rain/sleet mix. It was enough to ice over a few spots and accumulate a wee bit on exposed surfaces. That was it. You really didn't miss much. But hey ... it was something.

Looks like the pattern relaxes now into December. Hopefully the pattern we've been in the last few weeks will return later in December or January. If it does, it should deliver the goods and then some.

One positive aspect, Many of the major models continue to indicate troughing reforming at 500mb in central and western parts of the country. I don't see indications of a semi permanent eastern trough at this time. Eastern trough is almost always the death knell for winter weather in many parts of Texas. Hopefully the trend continues. One other note, most of our fronts this fall have over performed as well.
7 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1431 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 am

If you believe in the recurring cycle from Lezak and others (I think there is something to it but not fully convinced), the pattern will reload in a similar manner at some point the winter. I don't mind a western trough so long as it comes out at some point. That's when we get good winter storms often. What I hate is an eastern trough. In any event, if you believe the LRC, it started around Oct. 6 when we finally broke that heat and went into the current cooler pattern. While it's hard to say when it should end until any actual cycle does end, probably within no more than 10-15 days. So, a pattern change would make sense with this. Assuming the shift warms us up for awhile, we would probably get cold again by early to mid-January into mid to late February or so, so prime time.

I still don't know how much of it I buy, but it is interesting to follow.
3 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1432 Postby Haris » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm

25F this morning with a windhchill of 11F. White dusting on the roof tops here W of Austin.

Crazy how it is only early Nov. 4th freeze of the season!
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1433 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Haris wrote:25F this morning with a windhchill of 11F. White dusting on the roof tops here W of Austin.

Crazy how it is only early Nov. 4th freeze of the season!

My thermometer held at 28, granted it is under an eve slightly (to protect from rain), but low enough to still get air movement through there. I was thinking I can't remember a time when we have gotten ice this early in the season(?) down here. I love it!
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1434 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Trying to share pics on here, but can't get the Imgur site to load them, since Tinypic isn't free anymore. I figure if it's not free, not worth it. I don't upload enough to warrant the cost. Ah well. Haris has better pics than I do. I have sleet and ice covering my grass and trees, and patio furniture. I had to pry open the trash can lid.lol
2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1435 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Ntxw, do you think we get the -epo/wpo combo again? It was pretty impressive this time. I was just curious with how the mjo and other things are progressing.
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1436 Postby Rgv20 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Very very cold day here in the RGV as temperatures are still only in the upper 30s with some light rain in the area. The NAM model did a fantastic job as it forecast temperatures in the 36-38 range for the mid valley verified nicely.
4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1437 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Rgv20 wrote:Very very cold day here in the RGV as temperatures are still only in the upper 30s with some light rain in the area. The NAM model did a fantastic job as it forecast temperatures in the 36-38 range for the mid valley verified nicely.

A typical shallow arctic air mass that filtered all the way down to RGV and Northern MX. Models often struggle with these type of air masses, especially forecasting temperatures. However, NAM did forecast this event very well. Impressive cold air event seeing this in mid-November.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1438 Postby Rgv20 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:12 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
Rgv20 wrote:Very very cold day here in the RGV as temperatures are still only in the upper 30s with some light rain in the area. The NAM model did a fantastic job as it forecast temperatures in the 36-38 range for the mid valley verified nicely.

A typical shallow artic air mass that filtered all the way down to RGV and Northern MX. Classic example. Impressive seeing this in mid-November.

Very impressive indeed...in the northern ranchlands there were reports of Sleet (so close! :lol: ) Just as a reference yesterday in Edinburg the high was 88 with a Heat Index of 89 and so far today the low has been 36 with a wind chill of 24 :cold: :cold:
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1439 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm

northjaxpro wrote:

A typical shallow arctic air mass that filtered all the way down to RGV and Northern MX. Models often struggle with these type of air masses, especially forecasting temperatures. However, NAM did forecast this event very well. Impressive cold air event seeing this in mid-November.

Temps are running under forecast highs pretty much every where, DFW forecast a high of 41, so far it's made it to 36. :cold:
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1440 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I know the cold can be dangerous, no question, but this image the EWX put out cracked me up.

I'll dress for the CHILLY today! :cheesy:

2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”