Texas Fall 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Captmorg70
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Texas Fall 2018

#1461 Postby Captmorg70 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:23 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Captmorg70 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:
Yea, snow at DFW is really rare in November. I can only find 3 or 4 events in the record (depending on what data you look at) but the current setup does look similar to 11/2/51.

Where do you find old storm data? I think that it snowed around my birthday, 11/15 about 20 years or so ago. But I’m not sure where to find old data like that. It was in Cooke county btw

This is one of the more user friendly sites out there for viewing data https://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

Thanks a lot! I was right, 1 inch was recorded 11/15/97. Sure felt like a lot more than an inch as a 10 yo :oops:
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1462 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 pm

gboudx wrote:My youngest son has a soccer game in Plano at 8pm. I was hoping that if it was gonna rain, it would’ve started by now. But no. If it does rain, it’s gonna be wet and cold. Ugh.

Just started pouring here and chilly
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1463 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

0z ICON is the first of the big 0z suite (NAM not quite out that far yet) but it is more pronounced and digs. Also lots of qpf coming out of NW Mexico (surprise? not really) and connected to the STJ from the EPAC. Just one model, lets see what the others say.

Many still say quick ending qpf, my concern is if the cold will come quickly enough, strong enough. This is one of those years I just don't have much concern over water given the Nino.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1464 Postby Haris » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Heavy rain incoming Austin and San Antonio !
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1465 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Ntxw wrote:0z ICON is the first of the big 0z suite (NAM not quite out that far yet) but it is more pronounced and digs. Also lots of qpf coming out of NW Mexico (surprise? not really) and connected to the STJ from the EPAC. Just one model, lets see what the others say.

Many still say quick ending qpf, my concern is if the cold will come quickly enough, strong enough. This is one of those years I just don't have much concern over water given the Nino.

I mean moisture definitely hasn't been the problem and as I type its raining yet again :lol: Immediate ponding...
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1466 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Brent wrote:
Ntxw wrote:0z ICON is the first of the big 0z suite (NAM not quite out that far yet) but it is more pronounced and digs. Also lots of qpf coming out of NW Mexico (surprise? not really) and connected to the STJ from the EPAC. Just one model, lets see what the others say.

I mean moisture definitely hasn't been the problem and as I type its raining yet again :lol: Immediate ponding...

Yeah there is plenty of Pacific moisture to work with. If the cold comes in hard, it will undercut whatever is coming out of Mexico, helped by the upper shortwave. We can't compare this year to the past two when there was Nina and no help whatsoever from the tropical Pacific. It's night and day! We've spent the months having cold but searching for moisture. This year we have moisture but will search for cold.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1467 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yeah there is plenty of Pacific moisture to work with. If the cold comes in hard, it will undercut whatever is coming out of Mexico, helped by the upper shortwave. We can't compare this year to the past two when there was Nina and no help whatsoever from the tropical Pacific. It's night and day! We've spent the months having cold but searching for moisture. This year we have moisture but will search for cold.

This is one of the things that Bernie Rayno was pointing at today. He thinks that if either the energy pulls ahead of the trough, or the main trough goes neg-tilt in Canada there could be a long strip of half of foot of snow in the Midwest because of the moisture connection.
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1468 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Just got a nice, moderately heavy rain here at the Weatherdude Center, maybe a third of an inch or so.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1469 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 pm

0z GFS didn't change much. Per se it would mean snow for areas NW of DFW including the Falls Monday afternoon into evening. CMC similar.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SnowintheFalls
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1470 Postby SnowintheFalls » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Ntxw wrote:0z GFS didn't change much. Per se it would mean snow for areas NW of DFW including the Falls Monday afternoon into evening. CMC similar.

Interesting but I wonder if the Euro will still stand tall as odd man out??
0 likes   
There is no day like a snow day!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1471 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 pm

Euro Weeklies are pretty much climo to slightly wetter, depending on what part of the state you are are in. The one interesting thing is that there is a cluster that drops the hammer during the 2nd week in Dec with some members getting down near 0.
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

SnowintheFalls
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1472 Postby SnowintheFalls » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am

bubba hotep wrote:Euro Weeklies are pretty much climo to slightly wetter, depending on what part of the state you are are in. The one interesting thing is that there is a cluster that drops the hammer during the 2nd week in Dec with some members getting down near 0.

That would be some early pipe busting weather. Surely with the moisture from the Nino we can line up some cold shots to compliment it some this winter.
1 likes   
There is no day like a snow day!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1473 Postby Brent » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 am

GEFS still has some hope

The 0z Euro looks like the snow will stay in Oklahoma again

0 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1474 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 am

SnowintheFalls wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
I wouldn't get too worked up over either solution. From the very beginning this was an outside chance of happening. It has been a novelty to model watch. It will get cold for November. Snow is icing if it happens at all.

so we have to accept it for what it is.

Such is Texas weather. You have to learn to enjoy the journey and temper enthusiasm for the potential outcome. We haven't even started winter yet so there will be many journeys ahead! 8-)

Last I saw, our area has a 60% of rain/snow forecasted for Monday.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1475 Postby Ntxw » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am

12z NAM. ICON will be running soon. 850mb temps will fall below freezing very quickly and hard when the 500mb shortwave passes through.

2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Jarodm12
Category 1
Category 1

#1476 Postby Jarodm12 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am

Ntxw wrote:12z NAM. ICON will be running soon.

https://images2.imgbox.com/13/f5/JOwSBCpO_o.gif

Is it safe to tell my children we will see snow on Monday now?
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1477 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am

Looking farther out, ensembles are in pretty good agreement that the persistently lower heights across the Great Lakes will relax and a Western trough will set up shop. This should allow systems to dig deeper and kick out across Texas without getting sheared into the base of a Great Lakes trough. That should swing Texas back wetter and milder but as we move towards December any cutoff rolling in will have some winter wx potential.
4 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1478 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am

Drier air is filtering in as cold air advection continue throughout the day. I don't see much of a chance of breaks in the clouds throughout the weekend, but we likely will have a 36 hour break in any measureable rainfall before a Coastal Low develops near Brownsville Saturday afternoon/evening and begins to move up the Texas Gulf Coast into Sunday/early Monday as the very strong Artic Front marches across Texas and off the Coast early Tuesday Morning.

Saturday night into Sunday looks wet and potentially stormy with some elevated low topped thunderstorms possible along and N of a warm front close to the Coast. Thunderstorms could become more numerous along that warm frontal boundary across our Coastal tier of Counties and Offshore. Gale Warnings will continue into tomorrow morning across the offshore waters with wind advisories along the Coast. The remain some uncertainty in the exact track of that Coastal Low, so higher rainfall totals of near 2 inches + are possible where the heaviest rainfall develop and storms may train.

Sunday into Monday night may bring a bout of heavy snow across the Panhandle and lighter amounts possible for locations on East toward N Central Texas. The may be a brief shot of rain/snow mix across the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex into the Piney Woods of NE Texas before much drier Artic air arrives Monday ending all rain chance by Tuesday.

Very cold temperatures are expected for mid November early to mid next week. The shot of cold modified Artic Air is rather deep and freezing temperatures are expected up to 850mb or about a mile up. Early morning low temperature reading may flirt with the upper 20's to low 30's Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. The overnight ECMWF suggested a chilly 32F for IAH and upper 20's in Conroe. I will not be surprised to see a light freeze and possibly frost Wednesday morning and possibly Thursday morning IF we get completely clear skies across the Region. The old sub tropical jet may have an area of high to mid levels clouds streaming across the Area that could prevent temperatures from fully bottoming out in ideal radiational cooling. Stay Tuned!
3 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1479 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 am

Ntxw wrote:12z NAM. ICON will be running soon. 850mb temps will fall below freezing very quickly and hard when the 500mb shortwave passes through.

https://images2.imgbox.com/13/f5/JOwSBCpO_o.gif

Another major difference from last year is the depth ofthe cold. The entire column is well below freezing before the surface. The dreaded warm nose was always there last winter, not that it ever really mattered lol
0 likes   

Captmorg70
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1480 Postby Captmorg70 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 am

The shortwave dug a lot more and looked sorta neutral. Will be interesting if other models look similar
Last edited by Captmorg70 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”