Texas Fall 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2021

#181 Postby Brent » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:16 pm

Weather Dude wrote:I'm actually somewhat interested in the 6z SPC outlook. Rare for September, but both the NAM and HRRR show a solid line moving through OK/TX during the mid-afternoon/evening. Soundings look pretty bad for anything too strong. Any severe threat will be very very low, but there's at least a chance we can at least end up with a solid storm tomorrow. After over a month will no rain, I'll take anything at this point.

Yeah I was looking at that earlier and surprised there's no risk. We will definitely see
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#182 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 pm

Brent wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I'm actually somewhat interested in the 6z SPC outlook. Rare for September, but both the NAM and HRRR show a solid line moving through OK/TX during the mid-afternoon/evening. Soundings look pretty bad for anything too strong. Any severe threat will be very very low, but there's at least a chance we can at least end up with a solid storm tomorrow. After over a month will no rain, I'll take anything at this point.

Yeah I was looking at that earlier and surprised there's no risk

They didn't even mention OK at all in today's disco, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up. But after these last couple months I need storms lol
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#183 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:24 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

They didn't even mention OK at all in today's disco, so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up. But after these last couple months I need storms lol

Nope still no risk here... Slight and moderate down in Texas
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:31 am

Brent wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

Nope still no risk here... Slight and moderate down in Texas

NWS-Norman features a Marginal risk up to OKC along I-44 SW to Texas . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#185 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:35 am

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

cstrunk
Category 2
Category 2

#186 Postby cstrunk » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am

Still dry in Longview. Doesn't look very promising today or tomorrow. Perhaps Saturday.
0 likes   

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#187 Postby WacoWx » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:34 am

If I am heading to the Woodlands for golf tomorrow and Saturday, am I looing at a rain shield (all day rain event) or pop-up rain/storms??
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#188 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:05 am

Skies are getting darker in OKC, the storms are getting closer . . .

2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#189 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:24 am

Storm blew up just to my west. Hopefully it won't be pouring when I walk to my next class
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#190 Postby Ntxw » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:36 am

Ntxw wrote:There's definitely some chances for rainfall the next few days but I would keep expectations at a decent level. The upper feature in the southwest will provide favorable flow for Fall season type rain.

But we must remember we are now approaching a 2nd year La Nina and more importantly the PDO has been negative for nearly all of 2020-2021. This is a hard truth we must consider. The copious rainfall totals prior to 2019 is over in the warm PDO period. Gradually, the record months of rainfall have come to a halt and the dry spells are outlasting the wet spells that will continue, outside of a tropical influx event, and we've all seen it well now. Rainfall will likely risk underperforming rather than overperform in the coming months to possibly a year.

We haven't entered the Super Ninas that kickstarts the prolonged drought yet, thankfully. Most have been able to muster about average annual rainfall the past couple of years.

I still think is the case and this recent week of opportunistic rainfall has largely become underwhelming. We'll still see chances and some areas have received pretty good rains but it is localized and sparse in between. Most will be lucky to register an 1". There's no tropical Pacific connection. It's an ugly Nina coupled pattern right now with the -PDO, western troughs that underperform because no Pacific moisture.

Luckily cold waters of the Nina event are heavily centered west of South America in the Southern Hemisphere. If it were -PDO dominant cold strength in the Northern Hemisphere we'd risk a 2011-2012 type Nina dud winter.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#191 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:18 am

The prediction of underwhelming proved correct.

QPF from NWS seems reduced in the graphic they posted yesterday, and now their chance graphics don't really show 90 percent anymore. Friday was supposed to be the best chance of rain, and now it's reduced to 50 percent during the day IMBY.

It is cooling down though, hallelujah. But, not turning off my sprinklers until I get an inch.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#192 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:39 am

It is POURING outside right now at School . . .
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#193 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:56 am

Looking promising here but I can see how this is not gonna be the widespread everyone gets a soaking rain type deal down in Texas especially. It's too scattered
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#194 Postby Cerlin » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:16 pm

The rain in Norman has been nice for a change. We were approaching 2 months without more than a quarter inch of rain. Rain might be underperforming for a lot of Texas but underperforming rain is still better than no rain. Interested to see how storms develop in the slight risk in Texas today--and interested to see if we get any hailers. I'm looking at you Del Rio.
3 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#195 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Cerlin wrote:The rain in Norman has been nice for a change. We were approaching 2 months without more than a quarter inch of rain. Rain might be underperforming for a lot of Texas but underperforming rain is still better than no rain. Interested to see how storms develop in the slight risk in Texas today--and interested to see if we get any hailers. I'm looking at you Del Rio.

For sure. Pretty much the first time it's rained since I got here in mid August. It's nice to hear thunder again :lol:
4 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#196 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:47 pm

5 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#197 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:50 pm

That is a nasty and ill timed outflow boundary on DFW radar... Probably why hi-res models now have storms missing DFW to the South. What a bust this week has turned out to be for DFW, storms have moved all around the metroplex but mostly avoided it lol

I would suspect that FWD will drop the widespread 80% pops for tonight at some point this evening.
4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#198 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:31 pm

Yes! The drought can finally go away for once!
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#199 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:58 pm

It keeps thundering. But, zip. Some to my southwest that will either evaporate or miss me and stuff to the west that’s moving so slow it won’t get into DFW.

Come on, man.
3 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#200 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:12 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:It keeps thundering. But, zip. Some to my southwest that will either evaporate or miss me and stuff to the west that’s moving so slow it won’t get into DFW.

Come on, man.

Yep for the third day in a row I've had about 3 minutes of light rain and then poof. Gimmie a freakin break!!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”