Texas wildfires-Updated

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas wildfires

#21 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:34 am

We've had some small fires break out in this part of the state, but nothing like our friends in the central part. It was very, very odd this evening here in Corpus. About 7 PM, I looked outside and it just didn't look right. The wind was blowing, the temp was still 103 and so I went outside to look further and it smelled smoke. I thought a brush fire was close by. But by 8PM, it was almost pitch dark outside and I started reading that this smoke was from the central texas fires. On the 10 PM news, they showed the satellite picks showing just that.

That stuff happening up there almost looks Southern California like.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#22 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:42 am

cctxhurricanewatcher wrote:We've had some small fires break out in this part of the state, but nothing like our friends in the central part. It was very, very odd this evening here in Corpus. About 7 PM, I looked outside and it just didn't look right. The wind was blowing, the temp was still 103 and so I went outside to look further and it smelled smoke. I thought a brush fire was close by. But by 8PM, it was almost pitch dark outside and I started reading that this smoke was from the central texas fires. On the 10 PM news, they showed the satellite picks showing just that.

That stuff happening up there almost looks Southern California like.

It is, CC. That is exactly what I thought earlier this evening when you could see the glow out to our west. The smell of smoke is very heavy in the air.

The big fire close to me -- Steiner Ranch -- is only 5-10% contained. Hundreds of homes threatened and evacuated.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 am

WUnderground map

It is showing fires east of 130 in P'ville but I can't figure out of those are current!
Last edited by Shoshana on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#24 Postby Portastorm » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 am

I think it is old information. I've heard that Pflugerville officials say the fires from today are either out or contained in their area.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:20 am

whew. I thought so, but now I've got myself worked up into a tizzy!

I read that the Steiner Ranch fire has 4000 houses evacuated.

Our dog is acting all nutty. She's being really clingy and following me from room to room. I guess she is picking up on my nerves...

I can't smell anything here but something (smoke or nerves) is making my head hurt.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#26 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:53 am

Shoshana wrote:whew. I thought so, but now I've got myself worked up into a tizzy!

I read that the Steiner Ranch fire has 4000 houses evacuated.

Our dog is acting all nutty. She's being really clingy and following me from room to room. I guess she is picking up on my nerves...

I can't smell anything here but something (smoke or nerves) is making my head hurt.

It's probably the smoke hurting your head. In April we had one day with 40-50mph winds out of the northwest blowing smoke in from a massive fire near Wichita Falls....smoke so thick the sun looked like this, in a spot you could normally see the downtown Dallas skyline:

It wasn't just the smoke, but also everything the wind picked up like fertilizer, construction dust, all kinds of fine airborne debris... virtually everybody I knew in the DFW area felt sick that week. I wouldn't go as far as a surgical mask necessarily, but try breathing into a warm wet washcloth and blowing your nose, and taking antihistamines.

These fires are worse than I think any of us could have imagined. Good luck everybody, stay safe out there.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#27 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:12 am

This mornings email from Jeff about the fires:
Horrible Fire Weather Conditions for today.

Red Flag Warnings are in effect until 1000pm tonight

Yesterday, 56 large fires developed burning 30,000 acres with 2 fatalities.

Weather Discussion:
Winds are already gusty this morning and will only worsen as the pressure gradient between Lee and the cold front which swept off the coast last evening creates winds of 20-35mph this afternoon. A very dry air mass with dewpoints in the 40’s will spread southward and cover the entire region by late morning. This will drive afternoon RH to less than 15% across the entire region. Dry/dead fuels will support explosive fire growth.

As seen yesterday, fires that develop will be fast moving and nearly unstoppable. Very dangerous crown fires are likely in pine and cedar areas resulting in fast forward spread (similar to the Bastrop fire). Fire lines will be breached by downstream spot fires in the strong winds along with crowning overrunning fire lines. Ground crews were unable to hold fire lines on Sunday with multiple breaches of their fire breaks.

Have a fire plan if a fire approaches your location. If told to evacuate do so immediately, it will save your life!

Texas Forest Service Notes on Sunday’s Fires:

BASTROP COUNTY COMPLEX, Bastrop County. 14,000 acres, no containment. Heavy airtankers and single-engine airtankers assisted on this fire that started in the Lost Pines area just northeast of Bastrop. The fire has moved unchecked for at least 16 miles to the south and has jumped the Colorado River twice. The Circle D, K.C. Estates, Pine Forest, Colovista and Tahitian Village subdivision have been evacuated. Firefighters are trying to hold the fire at FM 2571. Reports indicate possibly 300 homes have been destroyed. 1000’s of fire fighters have been working this fire overnight.

STEINER RANCH, Travis County. 150 acres, no containment. The fire started just north of the Steiner Ranch subdivision. More than 1,000 homes are under mandatory evacuation in Steiner Ranch. At least 25 homes are reported lost. A Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System strike team responded.

HENDERSON #495, Henderson County. 5,000 acres, unknown containment. Three homes were saved.

#491, Limestone County. 3,000 acres, unknown containment. Six homes were saved and one was lost on this fire 20 miles east of Waco.

DELHI, Caldwell County. 1,000 acres, unknown containment. Twenty homes were saved and six were lost on this fire east of Lockhart.

BAILEY, Colorado County. 1,000 acres, unknown containment. This fast-moving fire threatened 40 homes near Columbus. Blackhawks, single-engine airtankers, and a heavy airtanker assisted.

MOORE, Smith County. 927 acres, 5 percent contained. Ten homes were evacuated and five were lost on this fire burning on the Smith/Gregg County line. Two civilian fatalities were reported.

#545, Upshur County. 500 acres, unknown containment. One hundred homes were saved; none lost. The fire is burning East of Gilmer.

LUTHERHILL, Fayette County. 400 acres, unknown containment. The community of Ruttersville was evacuated.

BONBIEW RANCH, Van Zandt County. 350 acres, unknown containment. Twenty homes were saved southeast of Canton.

CLEMANIS, Upshur County. 400 acres, 85 percent contained. Twenty homes were saved.

#543, Gregg County. 300 acres, unknown containment. Numerous homes were saved, none lost.

#538, Harrison County. 200 acres, contained. One hundred fifty homes were evacuated in a trailer park east of Longview.

#502, Nacogdoches County. 200 acres, unknown containment. More than a dozen homes have been evacuated, but none lost.

#841, Houston County. 200 acres, unknown containment. Fifteen homes were threatened east of Crockett.

PLEASANT GREEN ROAD, Gregg County. 150 acres, contained. Numerous homes evacuated and saved south of Longview.

KENNEDY ROAD, Rusk County. 150 acres, unknown containment. Numerous homes threatened, one lost.

HODDE, Travis County. 325 acres, contained. Two hundred homes were evacuated and saved east of Pflugerville. No homes reported lost.

PETTYTOWN, Caldwell County. 200 acres, 90 percent contained. Twenty homes were saved east of Lockhart.

OLD MAGNOLIA, Gregg County. 100 acres, unknown containment. No homes threatened. Two fuel tanks exploded.

SOUTH SULPHER, Hunt County. 100 acres, 70 percent contained. Five homes were threatened and two were destroyed.

#839, Leon County. 100 acres, unknown containment. Fifteen homes are reported lost.

Texas Fire Locator Map and Smoke Plume Generation:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? ... fk=0&ski=0

0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#28 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am

We are now smelling smoke in the air here in West Houston. On what should be a clear day with bright blue skies after frontal passage we have grayish blue skies and a smoky smell in the air. That is quite disconcerting since there are no fires really close to our area that I am aware of. I know others posting on here have been smelling it since yesterday and are much closer to the bigger fires than I am. We have friends in Kyle that have been watering down their roofs and yards to ward off any stray embers. I just keep praying for everyone as this has already turned into another disaster for thousands in our state.
To those of you that helped last night by posting the call for fire fighters on you FB pages thank you!!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

surfer_dude
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#29 Postby surfer_dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 pm

PortAStorm says:

I'm hearing reports now of a new fire started in east Austin ... near US Hwy 183/Burleson and near a major propane company! It is a "major box alarm" fire.
0 likes   

TXGale
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby TXGale » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm Following Texas Storm Chasers on FB,,, They are posting alot of good information

"#txfire TRAVIS COUNTY REQUEST: Water bottles and prepackaged snacks needed asap to ESD6 for firefighters, 15304 Pheasant Lane, (off 620, turn by Brake Check)."
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#31 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:46 pm

What's the status on the Bastrop County fire? I saw a KVUE report on a new fire "across the other direction" -- the reporter helpfully failed to mention what direction that would be. I understand the main fire is north/east of the city and moving south, and expected to bypass the city to the east, or at least I hope that's the case. Where's the new fire?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#32 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:04 pm

I doubt the links will work if they show up but I wanted to get this report in.

From Jeff Lindner:
Extraordinary fire event in progress across much of Texas and will continue through tonight

In the last 24 hours over 400 homes have burned, over 4,000 homes have been threatened, and over 6,000 residents displaced.

Red Flag Warning conditions in progress at this time across the entire area with winds already sustained at 15-25mph with gust at or above 35mph. Air mass continues to dry and RH is already at or below 30-40% across the entire region. Ongoing fires not contained continue to burn rapidly southward with numerous spot fires developing downstream of the wind direction and our their western and eastern flanks. Fire lines continue to be overrun.

Bastrop Fire: 25,000 acres burned. Fire is burning out of control requiring massive evacuations. 50% of Bastrop State Park burned overnight and the fire has now jumped HWY 71 and Hwy 95. Both HWY 21 and HWY 71 are closed until further notice. Several fixed wing aircraft along with Blackhawk helicopters are battling this fire from the air dropping both water and slurry. Ground crews are offering structure protection. The fire continues to exhibit large long lived crown runs making ground operations extremely dangerous. At least 350 homes have burned and several hundred more are threatened. The fire is 0% contained.

Spicewood Fire: 7,000 acres now burned. 20 homes lost, 30 damages. TFS and multiple local departments responding. Austin Starflight is providing water drops from Lake Travis.

Steiner Ranch Fire: 150 acres burned, 25 homes destroyed, 40 others damaged. Numerous homes have been evacuated. Fire is estimated to be 25% contained. A TFS strike team is on this fire.

Fayette County Fire: 2,000 acres burning, 0% contained. Ruttersville is under a mandatory evacuation order. 7 homes lost.

Colorado County: 1,500 acres burned just east of Columbus and N of I-10. Unknown containment. 40 homes threatened. Multiple heavy air tankers dropping water and slurry are working this fire along with TFS dozer crews to cut fire lines.

Caldwell County: 1,000 acres burned. Fire is 10% contained. 20 homes threatened, 6 were lost.

Response:

National Guard helicopters are being used for water drops. Texas has enacted its mutual aid System with other states with heavy air tankers arriving today from South Dakota. 15 air tankers are currently fighting the fires from the air along with 12 helicopters and 13 aerial supervision aircraft along with several dozer strike teams. All local fire departments across the area have all available personnel attempting to hold fragile fire lines and offer structure protection.

If you smell smoke or see fire call 911 immediately.

Spicewood Fire:

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps ... -1f711.jpg

Cedar Park Fire:

http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps ... -ffb26.jpg

Steiner Ranch Fire:

Flames near power lines in Steiner Ranch

The image shows the destructive powers of Sunday\'s fires

Bastrop Fire:

Smoke cloud rises over Bastrop

Bastrop Fire (HWY 71):

A horrific view from Highway 71 near Bastrop

Fires near Lake Travis:

The normally placid view from the Oasis marred by the smoke

Steiner Ranch Fire:

Wildfires 2: Viewer photos

Facebook

Facebook

Bastrop Fire:

Facebook

Bastrop Fire:

Facebook

Facebook
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:39 pm

NOT GOOD!!! NOT GOOD!!!
I just got a call from my daughter who is heading to NW Houston from our home. She saw a major plume of smoke to her NW. I checked radar, since we are clear skies here, and I can see the plume on radar. We apparently have a big fire which has started in the Magnolia area of NW Houston based on what I see on the radar. Unfortunately this apparent fire is about 2 miles from my daughters in laws home. I can't find anything on the tv sites yet.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#34 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm

vbhoutex wrote:NOT GOOD!!! NOT GOOD!!!
I just got a call from my daughter who is heading to NW Houston from our home. She saw a major plume of smoke to her NW. I checked radar, since we are clear skies here, and I can see the plume on radar. We apparently have a big fire which has started in the Magnolia area of NW Houston based on what I see on the radar. Unfortunately this apparent fire is about 2 miles from my daughters in laws home. I can't find anything on the tv sites yet.

It is showing up on KHOU.com now, and they have ordered 60 homes in the area evacuated. Don't know if daughters in laws house is threatened or not, but they are out of town.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby dixiebreeze » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Does anyone know if the Round Rock area is affected by the fires? My son lives there. Thanks.
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby ndale » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 pm

dixiebreeze wrote:Does anyone know if the Round Rock area is affected by the fires? My son lives there. Thanks.

I live in Pflugerville, just south of Round Rock and there are no fires in the Round Rock area.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#37 Postby Houstonia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Thoughts are with you VB. Do you have keys to her house? Do they have animals? Have you been in contact with her?

vbhoutex wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:NOT GOOD!!! NOT GOOD!!!

It is showing up on KHOU.com now, and they have ordered 60 homes in the area evacuated. Don't know if daughters in laws house is threatened or not, but they are out of town.
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#38 Postby ndale » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Here in the Austin area the Bastrop fire has now burned over 25000 acres and over 400 homes, there is still the fire at Steiner Ranch, the Perdenales fire and a new one that just began in Leander on the northwest side of town.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#39 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Another email from Jeff:
Numerous wildfires developing and threatening thousands of homes across E, SE, and C TX. Hundreds of homes have burned. Fires continue to burn out of control.

Wildfire has developed near the junction of Grimes County/Waller County/Montgomery County based on visible satellite image and radar data.

Fire is burning south quickly, residents in SW Montgomery County, extreme NW Harris County, eastern Waller County should be prepared to evacuate. If you can see smoke be ready to leave!

Bastrop fire has really exploded again this afternoon with nearly 40dbz showing on radar. Fire is burning out of control. Numerous other fires are burning across central TX.

And
Major wildfire is rapidly developing near the Waller/Grimes/Montgomery
County line.

Evacuations have been ordered for the following locations: Lake Holly
Hills subdivision. At least 60 homes are being threatened.

A large smoke plume is developing and spreading SW into NW Harris
County.
Bastrop Fire Update: 470 homes now lost, 25,000 acres now burned. Fire
is 0% contained.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:09 pm

This just breaks my heart. I mean this Summer, we have suffered throught the hottest summer ever, the hottest month ever, the driest year ever and now this. My goodness.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”