Texas Fall 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2019

#321 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Hurricane season still very much open for Texas. All eyes from me on the tropics over the next week.

Yeah Karen could make it if theres enough ridging and it survives

Big if at this point but there looks to be crazy ridging to our east

I just looked at the latest 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks and if that were to verify then I could easily see Karen getting into the western half of the Gulf.
2 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#322 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Per EWX:

Notes...
For those keeping score at home, through the first 21 days of
September, San Antonio, Austin Camp Mabry, and Del Rio are all
currently sitting at their hottest Septembers on record, with Austin
Bergstrom at 2nd hottest

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#323 Postby Portastorm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Hurricane season still very much open for Texas. All eyes from me on the tropics over the next week.

I just looked at the latest 6-10 day and 8-14 day outlooks and if that were to verify then I could easily see Karen getting into the western half of the Gulf.

Normally I would be dismissive of any tropical threat to Texas in October as hurricanes hitting Texas in that month are rare. But this weather pattern is not normal and it's acting like it's late August ... so I completely agree with y'all here. I'm also warily watching the tropics and am concerned about the next two weeks.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:

Normally I would be dismissive of any tropical threat to Texas in October as hurricanes hitting Texas in that month are rare. But this weather pattern is not normal and it's acting like it's late August ... so I completely agree with y'all here. I'm also warily watching the tropics and am concerned about the next two weeks.

Both the Euro and GFS have two tropical systems in the west Gulf. Crazy stuff man.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#325 Postby Brent » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:

Totally agree its been record heat east of us for weeks and more on the way nothing October like anytime soon

If it does go west doesnt seem to be an obvious reason it wouldnt go really far west
0 likes   
#neversummer

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#326 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:52 pm

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#327 Postby Brent » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Too bad its the 18z GFS but what a front!!! :double: Verbatim this would be HiGHS in the 60s and 70s :eek:

Edited to add the 0z GFS does still have a front though in this timeframe but it is not as extreme as the 18z.

just to see I checked TWC's app and it has average temps(mid 80s for highs/60s for lows) in this timeframe which would still be an improvement over now

2 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#328 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:01 am

the 0z Euro has an almost unbelievable ridge that would send Karen into Mexico lol :roll: it literally moves due west for 6 days
1 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#329 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:35 pm

80° with on and off rain. At least the first day of fall kind of is like a fall day.
0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#330 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Today is the Autumn equinox where we have equal part of day and night. From this point forward darkness will gain control and we shall be Less in the light.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#331 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Can't get here soon enough. I'm gunna be peeved if this is still teasing us!

2 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#332 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:01 pm

FWD mentioning possible cooler weather next week with caution

The deterministic runs of the GFS and ECMWF, as well as some of
the European ensemble members seem to hint at a cold front towards
the end of the first week of October (around October 3-5). There
has not been much run to run consistency however, and the folks at
CPC don`t really seem to be buying into it yet in their extended
range outlooks. As anyone who follows North Texas weather knows,
there have been quite a few "false alarm" model cold fronts
through September, and this could be another. Having said that, it
is noteworthy that the ECMWF and GFS are both fairly aggressive.
I`m not getting my hopes up yet, but we shall see...
0 likes   
#neversummer

utpmg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#333 Postby utpmg » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Same with EWX (austin/san antonio):
Looking
ahead,the GFS shows a front on Day 9 with the ECMWF on Day 10
moving into Texas. We have seen this movie before and will try not to
get too excited until they keep it for a few days and it gets into
the better skill of the models.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#334 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:31 pm

96/78F today at DFW. One year ago on this date it was 72/66F.

Was 99F back in 2005 on the very date, consequently during the busiest Atlantic hurricane season. I checked some of the busiest Atlantic Hurricane seasons into September and there is a very distinct correlation with DFW's hot/dry during this period. The more activity there is, the greater the risk for warmth to linger deeper into the month and late.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#335 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 pm

On the other hand though, the high plains will get cold later this week.

So if and when the pattern allows it we will be able to tap into some of that. A good bet would be as the calendar turns we should see the first "real" Fall front.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#336 Postby hriverajr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Ntxw wrote:96/78F today at DFW. One year ago on this date it was 72/66F.

Was 99F back in 2005 on the very date, consequently during the busiest Atlantic hurricane season. I checked some of the busiest Atlantic Hurricane seasons into September and there is a very distinct correlation with DFW's hot/dry during this period. The more activity there is, the greater the risk for warmth to linger deeper into the month and late.
I would hypothesize the reverse....cold fronts moving in with cooler drier air and associated upper air flow (cause) will often decrease tropical activity....(effect)
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#337 Postby Brent » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 pm

The GFS continues to be bullish on a rather drastic front late next week this run has HIGHS in Dallas around 60 :cold: :double: Image
1 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#338 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 am

The extended range GFS sure wants to end our drought! Too bad it's in fantasy land. Brings a slow-moving tropical system northward into the state and dumps some hefty rainfall totals across much of central TX.
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#339 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:17 am

South Texas Storms wrote:The extended range GFS sure wants to end our drought! Too bad it's in fantasy land. Brings a slow-moving tropical system northward into the state and dumps some hefty rainfall totals across much of central TX.

The GFS has been pretty consistent with some type of gyre coming up from the Central America region around the 300 hour mark. Also, with the models suggesting lower pressures in that region and a strong SE ridge, who knows? Weird weather pattern.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#340 Postby Brent » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:32 am

Cpv17 wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:The extended range GFS sure wants to end our drought! Too bad it's in fantasy land. Brings a slow-moving tropical system northward into the state and dumps some hefty rainfall totals across much of central TX.

The GFS has been pretty consistent with some type of gyre coming up from the Central America region around the 300 hour mark. Also, with the models suggesting lower pressures in that region and a strong SE ridge, who knows? Weird weather pattern.

All i know is something has to change soon but yeah this heat and dry weather has not been just confined to Texas
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”