Texas Spring 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2018

#341 Postby Haris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 am

Y’all the gfs has really lowered rain totals for Austin ? Do y’all think we can get a few inches still? I feel doubtful for some reason but NWS seems hopeful with 2-3
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#342 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:34 am

EPS shows potential for record breaking cold with members pushing 20F middle of next week at DFW and then the control shows nearly another freeze on the 10th. A lot of the SSW analogs did show lagged cold for the Southern Plains but this cycle puts that in April and May so it was always a question of what that would look like given the overall background climo vs SSW climo.
3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#343 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:36 am

Haris wrote:Y’all the gfs has really lowered rain totals for Austin ? Do y’all think we can get a few inches still? I feel doubtful for some reason but NWS seems hopeful with 2-3

My expectation would be 1-3" along and east of I-35 with 3-5" in the northeast quarter of the state. Subject to localized higher amounts in stronger storms
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#344 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 am

bubba hotep wrote:EPS shows potential for record breaking cold with members pushing 20F middle of next week at DFW and then the control shows nearly another freeze on the 10th. A lot of the SSW analogs did show lagged cold for the Southern Plains but this cycle puts that in April and May so it was always a question of what that would look like given the overall background climo vs SSW climo.

I think the background state is changing. The rut of relentless warmth (increasing 500mb heights) of the past few years doesn't look as prevalent. I think this year will be different as both the Pacific and Atlantic have changed. SSW is just one of those changes that signals more than just a cold season event. Also solar is making an impact. The high latitudes of the NHEM have been quite cold this winter and still are early spring
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#345 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 am

Ntxw wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:EPS shows potential for record breaking cold with members pushing 20F middle of next week at DFW and then the control shows nearly another freeze on the 10th. A lot of the SSW analogs did show lagged cold for the Southern Plains but this cycle puts that in April and May so it was always a question of what that would look like given the overall background climo vs SSW climo.

I think the background state is changing. The rut of relentless warmth (increasing 500mb heights) of the past few years doesn't look as prevalent. I think this year will be different as both the Pacific and Atlantic have changed. SSW is just one of those changes that signals more than just a cold season event. Also solar is making an impact. The high latitudes of the NHEM have been quite cold this winter and still are early spring

I agree. However, I was taking a more simplistic view of analogs showing potential for lagged cold post SSW and
this year's lag occurring during seasonally warming months. Feb '07 event was followed by the April '07 Easter snow that occurred just south of I20.

Now, on the larger scale, I've been watching what you pointed out and I think we well see our coldest winter in a long time here in '18/19.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#346 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 am

Next Wednesday marks the start of the National Tropical Weather Conference on S. Padre Island. Warm, sunny, south Texas beaches! Well, the Euro kind of disagrees with that statement. May have to pack a coat, hat, and gloves! Lows in the upper 40s with highs only in the upper 50s? GFS says lows in the low 70s and highs in the upper 70s. I prefer the GFS...

1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#347 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Brent wrote:The 0z Euro has upper 20s in DFW on April 4th :eek: Officially 2 freezes on the 3rd and 4th at the airport proper

Mid 30s in Austin and upper 30s down to the coast :eek:

Cold air starts flooding in on April 2nd(a week from today). Easter Sunday is sunny and near 80 before the bottom drops out :lol:

With some frozen precipitation for most all of N. Texas.

1-2 inches of snow in DFW... biggest snowstorm of the "winter" in April per the Euro! :lol: :roflmao:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#348 Postby Haris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:18 am

I guess the winter thread might come back
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#349 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 am

Enhanced risk upgrade for Wichita Falls area today
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#350 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 am

CMC looks a bit chilly. Maybe 40s for daytime highs early next week?
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#351 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Brent wrote:Enhanced risk upgrade for Wichita Falls area today

Thanks for the heads up.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#352 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:CMC looks a bit chilly. Maybe 40s for daytime highs early next week?

20s at the end of the CMC In Dallas :froze: :cold: Time to reopen the winter thread :wink:

This is just like the winter was actually... GFS going what cold :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#353 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Brent wrote:Enhanced risk upgrade for Wichita Falls area today

Thanks for the heads up.

They mentioned large/significant hail was the main driver for the enhanced upgrade.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#354 Postby gboudx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Update from Jeff Lindner:

Mid week storm system will bring a threat of severe weather and heavy rainfall to the region late Tuesday-early Thursday.

An upper level storm system will deepen over the western US and then progress into TX over the next few days resulting in multiple rounds of showers and thunderstorms. Moist and unstable Gulf air mass will continue to flow inland off the western Gulf of Mexico, but the air mass is currently capped over SE TX and not expecting much shower or thunderstorm development today into early Tuesday. As a slow moving cold front edges closer to the region on Tuesday rain chances will begin to rise NW of a line from Columbus to Huntsville for Tuesday evening. Front will make very slow progress across SE TX on Wednesday and exit the coast early Thursday.

Severe Threat:

SPC has already outlooked much of the area for a slight risk of severe thunderstorms on Wednesday with primary threats being large hail and damaging winds up to 60mph. Main question with the severe threat this far out is does the surface front or associated convective outflows undercut the developing thunderstorms resulting in the cells becoming quickly elevated and reducing the severe risk. This time of year this is a fairly likely outcome, but the slow moving nature of the front and only modest post frontal cooler air does tend to contradict this potential. Instability and shear will be favorable for severe thunderstorms especially late Tuesday NW and then Wednesday across much of the area.

Heavy Rainfall:

Bigger potential may end up being heavy rainfall and localized flooding. Overall slow movement of the system and very high moisture levels with PWS of 1.8-2.0 inches by Wednesday support repeated cell training with heavy rainfall rates. Will broadbrush the entire region with 1-3 inches and isolated totals of 4 inches will be possible. Saturated air column support high hourly rainfall rates of 1-2 inches which may lead to street flooding. Overall ground conditions have dried since late February and spring green up has commenced which should help to reduce run-off rates compared to early this year. Areas along the Trinity River remain sensitive to heavy rainfall and given the widespread amounts over the next several days…rises back to near flood stage could result along the Trinity.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#355 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Flash Flood watch for DFW.

1 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#356 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Some agitated CU south of DFW, model soundings don't look overly favorable but maybe a storm or two tries to get going an moves north?

0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#357 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:14 pm

I seriously cannot believe how good it feels here ahead of the front. Hard to beat warm, sunny, and breezy.

https://twitter.com/1900hurricane/status/978409254683119623

2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#358 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:14 am

Ntxw wrote:CMC looks a bit chilly. Maybe 40s for daytime highs early next week?

I'll take the GFS...the CMC that's my worst nightmare. It's NASCAR next week, we already got postponed to today from Sunday due to a snowstorm in Martinsville, VA over the weekend.

Winter be gone! Y'all had your fun!
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#359 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 am

well the 0z Euro has backed off the freeze in DFW but is still pretty cold to open April and now has the front blasting through Sunday afternoon with 30s Monday morning :jacket:

The GFS has gotten colder... now has highs in the 50s on Sunday after mid 80s Saturday then warms back up and even hits 90 end of next week but dumps more chilly wx in the LR, no freezes but still for April and lately pretty cold
2 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#360 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 am

Nonstop rain, mostly heavy since early yesterday. This should definitely pull us out of the drought.
4 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”