Derecho - June 29 (more later?) - large areas

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#41 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Story of the day: air mass failed to recover. Yesterday's derecho was so strong it couldn't get anything going today. Isolated to scattered supercells have formed though in VA.
0 likes   

Byronthree
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Derecho underway - June 29 (more later?) - large areas

#42 Postby Byronthree » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Crazy.. I've been following your posts since the derecho hit here in Fairfax, VA yesterday. Never knew one could make it past the mountains. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that we do have some storms now but they are isolated. The temperature had cooled down a bit today.. Mid-90s so not expecting anything wild. I wonder though, if the heat wave continues if another bow echo could form into something as powerful as what we had yesterday, crossing the apps again. Guess we will see..
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#43 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Byronthree wrote:Crazy.. I've been following your posts since the derecho hit here in Fairfax, VA yesterday. Never knew one could make it past the mountains. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that we do have some storms now but they are isolated. The temperature had cooled down a bit today.. Mid-90s so not expecting anything wild. I wonder though, if the heat wave continues if another bow echo could form into something as powerful as what we had yesterday, crossing the apps again. Guess we will see..

Not as strong tonight - too little instability, yesterday had CAPE values up to 6,000. Tomorrow maybe, but probably farther south I would think - the Carolinas especially. But it is WAY too early to tell.

The derecho tried to weaken in the mountains, but it seemed to reintensify as it crossed back. Others, such as July 15, 1995 (that one hit me HARD when I was 11 years old - I was camping in it and probably saved many lives by being the only one to awaken for the early warning; I will never go camping again after that one, it still scares me 17 years later) and July 4-5, 1999 (a near-miss for me) also crossed mountains.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby GCANE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 am

Excellent analysis from CIMSS on the development of the Derecho

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/

Actually, I was watching this develop in IN and saw CAPE at 7000.
0 likes   

apocalypt-flyer
Category 1
Category 1

#45 Postby apocalypt-flyer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:50 am

Looks like Germany and the U.S. can do a high-five this weekend. Massive severe weather outbreak over here, too. Grapefruit-sized hail, 4 casualties, 50 injured. Damage in the upper millions.

Not a good weekend.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:11 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Byronthree wrote:Crazy.. I've been following your posts since the derecho hit here in Fairfax, VA yesterday. Never knew one could make it past the mountains. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that we do have some storms now but they are isolated. The temperature had cooled down a bit today.. Mid-90s so not expecting anything wild. I wonder though, if the heat wave continues if another bow echo could form into something as powerful as what we had yesterday, crossing the apps again. Guess we will see..

Not as strong tonight - too little instability, yesterday had CAPE values up to 6,000. Tomorrow maybe, but probably farther south I would think - the Carolinas especially. But it is WAY too early to tell.

The derecho tried to weaken in the mountains, but it seemed to reintensify as it crossed back. Others, such as July 15, 1995 (that one hit me HARD when I was 11 years old - I was camping in it and probably saved many lives by being the only one to awaken for the early warning; I will never go camping again after that one, it still scares me 17 years later) and July 4-5, 1999 (a near-miss for me) also crossed mountains.

The derecho also affected Southern New Jersey Friday night/Saturday morning. Three deaths were reported, 2 of them young cousins camping with their family in a local park when a tree fell on their tent. :( I couldn't believe the light show we were getting! Down towards the New Jersey shore (beaches) it was far worse with electric out maybe until July 9! Gov Christie is still considering a disaster declaration. That derecho was scary looking as it approached Baltimore and DC but it didn't look like it would hit us as much as it did.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#47 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Interesting Wx Story from the Twin Cities office.

0 likes   

temujin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#48 Postby temujin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

West Virginia got totally jacked up by this storm. Saturday morning 85% of the population was without power and over half still don't have it. There are entire counties without electricity in any part. The few gas stations that are open are sold out of gas. Ice companies are completely sold out. People are driving 70 miles to find food.

I guess we're too small to make the news.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#49 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:52 pm

temujin wrote:West Virginia got totally jacked up by this storm. Saturday morning 85% of the population was without power and over half still don't have it. There are entire counties without electricity in any part. The few gas stations that are open are sold out of gas. Ice companies are completely sold out. People are driving 70 miles to find food.

Wrong. I've heard about W. Va and how badly they've been hit as well and a disaster declaration has been made for your state. This was on my local news and TWC. I hope that things get back to normal there soon.
0 likes   

EF-5bigj
Category 3
Category 3

#50 Postby EF-5bigj » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 pm

So these storms are more or less long lived violent streight lined wind based supercell's. I gotta say for not being a tornado they certainly cause mayhem similer to one.
Last edited by EF-5bigj on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby jinftl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm

The reported 3.2 million who lost power from this system is almost half of the 7.4 million who lost power during well-publicized Hurricane Irene. Folks across parts of the midwest and mid Atlantic did see at least gusts to Category 1 force (74-95 mph) this past Friday with the highest reported gust I've seen being 91 mph near Fort Wayne. Based on the widespread reports of tree damage, power lines down, signs and tents down and some roof damage, that is damage you would in fact to expect to see with a strong tropical storm with hurricane force gusts or even a Cat 1 storm effecting a large area.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#52 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm

What the winds of the supercells did here in Saskatchewan:
Saskatchewan storms knock out power for 10s of thousands
CBC News
Posted: Jun 26, 2012 1:05 PM CST
Last Updated: Jun 26, 2012 4:12 PM CST

Tens of thousands of people in north-central Saskatchewan are without electricity and it may be another two days before the lights come back on, SaskPower says.

Storms that passed through the province Monday night caused severe damage to SaskPower's transmission and distribution systems in the Prince Albert, Meadow Lake and North Battleford areas.

It's estimated Meadow Lake and North Battleford will have power restored in 18 to 24 hours, SaskPower said over the noon hour.

However, Prince Albert residents won't get their power back for 24 to 48 hours, with rotating outages.

The utility asked customers to be patient, saying it has called in contractors to help get the work done as soon as possible.

Earlier in the day, Prince Albert's Victoria hospital was on emergency backup generators.

The hospital can still perform emergency procedures, but all elective surgeries have been cancelled.

Other hospitals and long term care homes in the health region are also on backup generators as they cope with the power outage.

The region is asking people avoid the emergency ward in Prince Albert if at all possible.

(what caused the outage it was the wind demolishing three steel high voltage towers between Beatty and Prince Albert, as well as numerous trees falling over or losing limbs).

Power, two/three days later, was reported as restored to all locations. I LOVE SaskPower! :D

(note Saskatchewan is about as big as Texas, and we do have a lot of power lines running to every little farm, but our population is about 1.25 million).
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#53 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm appalled that so many people were caught off-guard by this storm in Virginia and Maryland. The power, consistency, and future track of the derecho was apparent several hours beforehand, when it was still in Ohio. Yet many people were caught standing out in the open, running for cover (unsuccessfully in several tragic cases) as trees crashed down around them. How, why???
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm

We fully thought in NJ that this little monster was a Baltimore/DC event at the 10:00 news hour. At 12:30 am I was hit.

Look at this link from our local news station. Scroll down to the "Ring of Fire" derecho and click on the video to watch it unfold. I am FLOORED by how it blossomed up when it hit Southern NJ. The whole part of the southern end of the state went red.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 20595.html
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#55 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm

EF-5bigj wrote:So these storms are more or less long lived violent streight lined wind based supercell's. I gotta say for not being a tornado they certainly cause mayhem similer to one.

Friends of mine that live along the hardest hit parts of the NJ shoreline said that with their windows open, their doors became "possessed" - opening and slamming shut, things whirling around. It must've been frightening. It's a reminder to us of what we did miss with Irene. The only good thing that one person said to me was that there wasn't any flooding that went with it. Usually big downpours and storms like that leave flooding.
0 likes   

Zanthe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#56 Postby Zanthe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 pm

So...does the current bow echo/possible deracho in MN belong in this thread? Winds in excess of 80 MPH and civil emergency messages issued.
0 likes   
I'm no expert, everything I say should be taken with a large amount of salt. I could easily be very, very wrong.
~Zanthe Go Coyotes~

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#57 Postby angelwing » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:20 am

temujin wrote:West Virginia got totally jacked up by this storm. Saturday morning 85% of the population was without power and over half still don't have it. There are entire counties without electricity in any part. The few gas stations that are open are sold out of gas. Ice companies are completely sold out. People are driving 70 miles to find food.

My gf in WV is still on a generator but she said its hard to get gas, so she is only running it off and on, she finally got the internet back yesterday
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#58 Postby Stephanie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Zanthe wrote:So...does the current bow echo/possible deracho in MN belong in this thread? Winds in excess of 80 MPH and civil emergency messages issued.

It can stay here.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Well I've seen and heard that it might take until the end of the week before power is restored to some areas, that is a total recipe for DISASTER in the brutal heatwave(s) that are ongoing! With that many people without power and limited communications, with historic heat that death toll that currently stands at something over 20 will grow. It will easily surpass last summers mega-heatwave during mid-July for deaths.

I then heard the cliche that the "storm" came without warning from some media :roll: . They got plenty of warning but they just don't listen. Even sirens came on.

Just last night parts of SE MI got some pretty severe storms that knocked out power to 40,000 customers during the heat. It just keeps going...
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 pm

It makes me wonder: should derechos be named?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”