Derecho - June 29 (more later?) - large areas

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#61 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:17 am

CrazyC83 wrote:It makes me wonder: should derechos be named?

Probably not enough to implement. It does annoy me a little that the media just calls it "storms" and leaves it at that without mentioning how radical this one was.

Considering how dire the situation is in some areas like West Virgina, this thread should have like 50 pages for the catastrophic power outages and human toll. Its the top story in most national media and has been so for days now. There is now a food crisis in WV where many stores have no food left at all on their selves, scarce gas, limited water and communications, no power to 1/3 of the state, and 100ºF+ temperatures for days...that is a major disaster on a scale of a major hurricane. Some people according to CNN had no food for 2 days and the stores had to thrown out all the perishable foods...why not just plan for when those goods go bad and give away all the food to the Food Bank before it goes bad (as there was advance notice that the power will be out for a week)? That is pretty stupid IMO. The Food Bank there is now actually empty and trying to get national assistance and more food from drives!

Regardless, the death toll is about 26 and compounded with this new food crisis, this death toll is far from done rising. Very bad situation and CNN called it "Unimaginable". Looks like another multi-billion dollar disaster for economic impacts.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#62 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:49 am

1) Not a lot of people on S2K live in the areas affected

2) Hurricanes get a lot more attention because they build fast and are not sudden.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#63 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:2) Hurricanes get a lot more attention because they build fast and are not sudden.

This 2nd point seems almost like an oxymoron :P . I think I understand your point nonetheless.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#64 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:2) Hurricanes get a lot more attention because they build fast and are not sudden.

This 2nd point seems almost like an oxymoron :P . I think I understand your point nonetheless.

Yeah I meant DON'T build fast
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#65 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:It makes me wonder: should derechos be named?

Probably not enough to implement. It does annoy me a little that the media just calls it "storms" and leaves it at that without mentioning how radical this one was.

Considering how dire the situation is in some areas like West Virgina, this thread should have like 50 pages for the catastrophic power outages and human toll. Its the top story in most national media and has been so for days now. There is now a food crisis in WV where many stores have no food left at all on their selves, scarce gas, limited water and communications, no power to 1/3 of the state, and 100ºF+ temperatures for days...that is a major disaster on a scale of a major hurricane. Some people according to CNN had no food for 2 days and the stores had to thrown out all the perishable foods...why not just plan for when those goods go bad and give away all the food to the Food Bank before it goes bad (as there was advance notice that the power will be out for a week)? That is pretty stupid IMO. The Food Bank there is now actually empty and trying to get national assistance and more food from drives!

Regardless, the death toll is about 26 and compounded with this new food crisis, this death toll is far from done rising. Very bad situation and CNN called it "Unimaginable". Looks like another multi-billion dollar disaster for economic impacts.

I didn't realize that there was such a food crisis in West Virginia due to that derecho. I know every state affected by it suffered in the heat and by yesterday all NJ residents that lost power due to that derecho had their power back. I'm sure it's more difficult in some areas of some states to access the lines and get the power going, but I'm truly miffed about NJ.

I will bet though that there will be food and supplies coming across state lines for the people of West Virginia soon enough and it won't be government supplied but given by regular citizens like you and I, now that the word is out.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Derecho - June 29 (more later?) - large areas

#66 Postby HurricaneBill » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 am

6/28/12 (before derecho)

6/30/12 (after derecho)

Look at West Virginia's eastern panhandle.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby angelwing » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 am

My friend in WV had no power for over a week, it came back for about 4 hours went out again and is finally back on. She works at a food bank, all the food is ruined and there is nothing to buy anywhere! Thank God she told me that she had some stuff put away, but it was starting to get dicey, she is very happy that she can finally take a shower as the well was almost dry and she was rationing her water.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby Stephanie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:42 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:6/28/12 (before derecho)

6/30/12 (after derecho)

Look at West Virginia's eastern panhandle.

I'm STARING at the Philadelphia/NJ area before & after. :eek:
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby HurricaneBill » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 am

Stephanie wrote:I'm STARING at the Philadelphia/NJ area before & after. :eek:

Actually, those areas are dark because clouds are obscuring them.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:
Stephanie wrote:I'm STARING at the Philadelphia/NJ area before & after. :eek:

Actually, those areas are dark because clouds are obscuring them.

I saw the word "clouds" so I wasn't 100% sure if that was why. I know we didn't lose electric at my house and DC was hit hard as well. You can definitely see a difference in the amount of lights on in and around the W. VA, DC and Balitmore areas. Thanks for the clarification.
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Hearing people talk outnumber two tonight....I know they have watches here in nc and the average looks like it can get really bad here
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”