Texas Summer 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Summer 2019

#881 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:Another thunderstorm heading towards me. This will be the 4th one in about 36 hours. It's a lovely sight.

Rain lovers paradise there in LA. The system that could form in the Gulf will probably head your way as well lol

I hope not, I get the feeling I won't luck out like I did with Barry if another storm moves up this way.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#882 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:Another thunderstorm heading towards me. This will be the 4th one in about 36 hours. It's a lovely sight.

Rain lovers paradise there in LA. The system that could form in the Gulf will probably head your way as well lol

I hope not, I get the feeling I won't luck out like I did with Barry if another storm moves up this way.

It’s just a matter of time. That part of the Gulf is a magnet to tropical systems it seems.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#883 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Old GFS is interesting:

3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#884 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm

hopefully this will break next week's heatwave whatever it is
1 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#885 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:36 am

Had a nice but quick thunderstorm come through my neck of the woods this evening. Most of the Austin Metro saw some rain which was a bit of relief from the 100 degree temps we've been seeing. Let's hope something comes in from the gulf to give us more rain. (Not a hurricane)
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#886 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am

The GFS and GFS legacy both went into Louisiana while the Euro is near Laredo after being over New Orleans at 12z :roflmao:
0 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#887 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 am

00z Euro would be a dream for S. Texas, lots of rain for everyone down South.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#888 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:54 am

Aww ... last night was beautiful! Picked up about a 1/4" of liquid gold. Lawn was starting to resemble straw as I refuse to drain the Highland Lakes just to water my lawn all week. Grateful.

Hoping for more liquid gold joy for all of us from the Gulf or wherever (but yes, no named tropical systems please). :wink:
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#889 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

NWS Brownsville early morning discussion...getting to be that time of the year again..

The National Hurricane Center continues to show no tropical
cyclone development in the Atlantic Basin through the next 5 days.
Beyond 5 days, it is worth noting that both 00z Thur. runs of the
GFS and ECMWF favor a tropical wave/depression developing in the
Southern Gulf of Mexico/Bay of Campeche, as early as Wednesday of
next week, impacting the Western Gulf of Mexico by mid-late next
week. There are major difference in development, development
timing, and track, in addition to model run-to-run inconsistencies.
So be sure to check the Tropical Weather Outlook from the
National Hurricane Center over the next several days for updates.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#890 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:18 am

Congrats to my Austin neighbors south of me! :wink: I got diddly and squat last night, aside from some sprinkles that I could have counted on one hand. I saw that complex develop as it moved south of me. :roll: Maybe I'll get lucky later, if not today, then in the foreseeable future.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#891 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:49 pm

so much for no more 100's, suddenly 5 more forecast for DFW :roll: :roll: :roll:

so ready for a real change, hopefully the tropics can shake things up
2 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#892 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:52 pm

The 12Z GFS is trending south with the system, which puts us in a more favorable location for funneling in Gulf of Mexico moisture/rain (northeast side vs. the death ridge west side). Fingers crossed!!

3 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#893 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Glimmer of hope
2 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#894 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Rgv20 better get prepared!!!! The gulf is open for business.
2 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#895 Postby Haris » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Geez. Not ready for this again. Tropical systems are a pain in the arse. We saw it with Barry. Up until hour 40, the landfall spread was from TX to MS. lol. Its a headache. I wish it could just come here, no questions asked.
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#896 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Haris wrote:Geez. Not ready for this again. Tropical systems are a pain in the arse. We saw it with Barry. Up until hour 40, the landfall spread was from TX to MS. lol. Its a headache. I wish it could just come here, no questions asked.

And the 12z eps doesn’t look very promising. Most members have it going into LA. It’ll change though so no worries yet.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#897 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 pm

I think everyone here should still be careful what they wish for. I know yall want cool weather and rain, but you're playing with fire when you start hoping for a tropical cyclone well into the season when the Gulf is open for business. We've seen weak tropical systems turn into nightmares twice in the Gulf the past 2 years(Harvey and Michael) and very quickly as well. A re-curving EPAC storm would be far more beneficial for Texas.
3 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

BrokenGlass
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#898 Postby BrokenGlass » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I think everyone here should still be careful what they wish for. I know yall want cool weather and rain, but you're playing with fire when you start hoping for a tropical cyclone well into the season when the Gulf is open for business. We've seen weak tropical systems turn into nightmares twice in the Gulf the past 2 years(Harvey and Michael) and very quickly as well. A re-curving EPAC storm would be far more beneficial for Texas.

And isn’t it typical that the exiting cyclone pulls the ridge back over us and then the pattern goes stagnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#899 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I think everyone here should still be careful what they wish for. I know yall want cool weather and rain, but you're playing with fire when you start hoping for a tropical cyclone well into the season when the Gulf is open for business. We've seen weak tropical systems turn into nightmares twice in the Gulf the past 2 years(Harvey and Michael) and very quickly as well. A re-curving EPAC storm would be far more beneficial for Texas.

I just want a weak system and about 5”. We haven’t had but about an inch of rain here since mid June.
1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#900 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

I just want a weak system and about 5”. We haven’t had but about an inch of rain here since mid June.

Yeah I get that, but there's no guarantee that a system stays weak. If we could control the weather and send a weak low into south Texas I'd be all for it.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”